• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Breaking: Possible charges to be filed against Mateen's wife. She knew in ad[W:185]

Tanngrisnir

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
What an utterly effed up situation. She 'tried to talk him out of it', even drive him to the club once, but utterly failed to inform any authorities.

Report: Pulse Shooter's Current Wife Tried to Dissuade Him From Nightclub Massacre

Citing unnamed officials familiar with the case, NBC News reports that Omar Mateen’s current wife, Noor, told the FBI that she tried to talk her husband out of attacking Pulse, the gay nightclub where he killed 50 people, including himself, this weekend.

She said she was with him when he bought ammunition and a holster, the officials said, and once drove him to the nightclub so that he could assess the building. From NBC News:

Authorities are considering filing criminal charges against Noor for failing to tell them what she knew before the brutal attack, law enforcement officials say, but no decision has been made.

She is cooperating with investigators, several officials say.

Also on Tuesday, reports emerged that Mateen had at various points declared allegiance or sympathy to a variety of terrorist groups, including the Islamic State, al-Qaeda, and Hezbollah—all of which are in conflict with each other—further complicating attempts to determine his motive for the shooting.

Re: Breaking: Possible charges to be filed against Mateen's wife. She knew in advan

Failure to inform authorities should not be a crime. Being an asshole that makes that a crime however should be punishable by death.

Re: Breaking: Possible charges to be filed against Mateen's wife. She knew in advan

What an utterly effed up situation. She 'tried to talk him out of it', even drive him to the club once, but utterly failed to inform any authorities.

Report: Pulse Shooter's Current Wife Tried to Dissuade Him From Nightclub Massacre

Citing unnamed officials familiar with the case, NBC News reports that Omar Mateen’s current wife, Noor, told the FBI that she tried to talk her husband out of attacking Pulse, the gay nightclub where he killed 50 people, including himself, this weekend.

She said she was with him when he bought ammunition and a holster, the officials said, and once drove him to the nightclub so that he could assess the building. From NBC News:

Authorities are considering filing criminal charges against Noor for failing to tell them what she knew before the brutal attack, law enforcement officials say, but no decision has been made.

Also on Tuesday, reports emerged that Mateen had at various points declared allegiance or sympathy to a variety of terrorist groups, including the Islamic State, al-Qaeda, and Hezbollah—all of which are in conflict with each other—further complicating attempts to determine his motive for the shooting.

Is a wife required to inform on her husband?

Failure to inform authorities should not be a crime. Being an asshole that makes that a crime however should be punishable by death.

Fortunately you don't get to claim what should and what shouldn't be a crime.
She should fully pay the price. I don't buy that "I tried to talk him out of it" nonsense either, it's the kind of stuff they usually say in the aftermath of a slaughter.

She should fully pay the price. I don't buy that "I tried to talk him out of it" nonsense either, it's the kind of stuff they usually say in the aftermath of a slaughter.

Who did she hurt? Oh right, no one. Failure to inform authorities is not assisting in a crime or taking part in any sort of action whatsoever that harms anyone.

Who did she hurt? Oh right, no one. Failure to inform authorities is not assisting in a crime or taking part in any sort of action whatsoever that harms anyone.

She assisted him in planning the crime. She should be charged.

If she knew about his intentions to make such attack isn't it make her complicit ?

If she knew about his intentions to make such attack isn't it make her complicit ?

If you know someone might do something why do you have an obligation to inform? Maybe you want to handle the situation on your own and try to talk them out of it. Why is that so bad?

Actually, he does get to make such claims. He, nor you or I for that matter regarding what we believe, just doesn't have the authority to make it so.

Like I keep saying - in most cases, the terrorists are just bad or deranged people who use religion as an excuse to commit their acts...but this doesn't stop a certain swath of Americans from blaming the religion as a whole because of the acts of what is actually a very, very small minority of that religion.

She assisted him in planning the crime. She should be charged.
I'm sure I will be in the minority in this, but I do not believe that someone who simply has foreknowledge should be criminally liable.

However, having said that, in this case it does appear that she did indeed assist him, so charges may very well be warranted.

If you know someone might do something why do you have an obligation to inform? Maybe you want to handle the situation on your own and try to talk them out of it. Why is that so bad?
It's pretty simple, when she knew about his intentions to make such attack and also she knew he was buying annumition to fulfill his sick intentions, so yea that's so much more than "bad", that's make her complicit.

Had his wife communicated with the relevant authorities, this attack might not have happened.

It's pretty simple, when she knew about his intentions to make such attack and also she knew he is buying annumition to fullfill his sick intentions, so yea that's so much more than "bad", that's make her complicit.

Again, I see no reason to make anything about what you said a crime. Knowing someone's plans should not be a crime. Furthermore, where does the government get off acting towards people before anything is done that is illegal?

Actually, he does get to make such claims. He, nor you or I for that matter regarding what we believe, just doesn't have the authority to make it so.

Sorry for the wording, I haven't noticed, meant "doesn't get to dictate" of course.
He doesn't get to dictate what should and what shouldn't be a crime, it's not something that's up to a single person but for a society as a whole.

Had his wife communicated with the relevant authorities, this attack might not have happened.

The FBI interviewed the shooter a couple of times before, due to his ties to other radicals, but it still didn't prevent him from murdering dozens of people. The solution isn't so simple.

Who did she hurt? Oh right, no one.

More than a hundred people who have either lost their lives or are lying injured in hospital because she didn't bother to inform the authorities the psycho is planning to murder people.

Failure to inform authorities is not assisting in a crime or taking part in any sort of action whatsoever that harms anyone.

You seem to believe that inaction is not a form of action, and not one that could bring harm.

Again, I see no reason to make anything about what you said a crime. Knowing someone's plans should not be a crime. Furthermore, where does the government get off acting towards people before anything is done that is illegal?
Well there is no much I can do if you dont think it's a crime.
In Israel that's illegal and she would sentenced for assisting to a crime. In the US has different law for this?

The FBI interviewed the shooter a couple of times before, due to his ties to other radicals, but it still didn't stop him from murdering dozens of people. The solution isn't so simple.

The FBI was not aware that he had scouted a gay nightclub, and then amassed ammunition and accessories for mass murder. His wife was.

She should be criminally charged.

Well, if they COULD file charges, that means it's a crime. And it should be, IMO.

Knowing that someone is violent, plans to kill people, buys guns and ammo and develops a plan to do it...one must notify the authorities, IMO. If you don't, you are part of the conspiracy to commit the crime.

Like I keep saying - in most cases, the terrorists are just bad or deranged people who use religion as an excuse to commit their acts...but this doesn't stop a certain swath of Americans from blaming the religion as a whole because of the acts of what is actually a very, very small minority of that religion.

I agree, esp. since this idiot claimed to support, at various times, different terrorist groups that are diametrically opposed to each other and don't hesitate to slaughter each other.

The religion aspect was likely just a cover for a much deeper, more profound pathology (or pathologies).

The FBI was not aware that he had scouted a gay nightclub, and then amassed ammunition and accessories for mass murder.

You missed the point. As I said previously:

The FBI interviewed the shooter a couple of times before, due to his ties to other radicals, but it still didn't stop him from murdering dozens of people.

The FBI was aware that he had contact with other radicals and was interviewed a few times previously. Such a person shouldn't have come in contact with firearms, let alone own one. If the shooter's wife knew in advance, then so did the FBI, using your logic.

More than a hundred people who have either lost their lives or are lying injured in hospital because she didn't bother to inform the authorities the psycho is planning to murder people.

How did she hurt them? Did she pull the trigger? No. Exactly what did she personally do that lead to them being harmed? Do you understand the difference between failure to take an action that could avoid a harm and taking an action that harms someone else?

You seem to believe that inaction is not a form of action.

She took no action that harmed anyone.

Planning to murder people, and acting on the plan, is a crime. Being part of the circle of those planning the crime...they're co-conspirators, unless they report it.

If someone tells you they're going to murder someone, and then you ride with him to the gun shop and you purchase guns and ammo (they're married...what he purchases, THEY purchase)...you are part of the plan. It's common for co-conspirators to say later that:

I didn't think he was SERIOUS!

I didn't think he'd go through with it.

I wasn't part of the plan. He just made me ride along (when they kidnapped someone, or murdered someone, or whatever).

The fact is....that chick who was with the guy who went on a murder spree decades ago...the Woody Harrelson movie...she was part of the murders. But for her presence, the murders might never have happened. She was a participant. But later she said...He MADE me go! I didn't want to!

They always say that.

From what I read in that article the wife is not just guilty of omission in not reporting a crime that she knew was being planned, which may or may not be illegal, but also of the act of aiding and abetting in the commission of the crime by taking him to purchase the murder weapons and driving him to the nightclub so he could "assess" it, which is very much a crime.

Back
Top Bottom