• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Breaking: Possible charges to be filed against Mateen's wife. She knew in ad[W:185]

Re: Breaking: Possible charges to be filed against Mateen's wife. She knew in advan

It's pretty simple, when she knew about his intentions to make such attack and also she knew he was buying annumition to fulfill his sick intentions, so yea that's so much more than "bad", that's make her complicit.

Knowing and doing are two different things. One isn't responsible for "knowing", but one is responsible for doing. Driving him to the club for recon purposes is doing, making her complicit.

Re: Breaking: Possible charges to be filed against Mateen's wife. She knew in advan

If you know someone might do something why do you have an obligation to inform? Maybe you want to handle the situation on your own and try to talk them out of it. Why is that so bad?

Because you might fail to talk them out of it, and then 50 people might die as a result.

The FBI was aware that he had contact with other radicals and was interviewed a few times previously. Such a person shouldn't have come in contact with firearms, let alone own one. If the shooter's wife knew in advance, then so did the FBI, using your logic.

Our misunderstanding lies in your ignorance of the details of this case. His wife was present when he scouted the nightclub, and she aided him in acquiring ammunition and a holster for his weapons.

She could have informed the authorities, such as the FBI, that her husband was planning to kill innocent people. That could have stopped this attack.

More than a hundred people who have either lost their lives or are lying injured in hospital because she didn't bother to inform the authorities the psycho is planning to murder people.

You seem to believe that inaction is not a form of action, and not one that could bring harm.

That may be so but generally speaking you're not required to tell the police if you have knowledge of a possible crime. There are lots of exceptions - like healthcare professionals who must report suspected child abuse - but there is no general requirement.

Of course if she was actively involved - and driving him to the gun store may qualify - that's a different story.

His dad claimed "shock" about it, too. Turns out he was pretty shady himself.

This wife was either (a) scared to death of him and afraid to call the police, or (b) fully supportive of this act and now is trying to talk her way out of guilt.

What an utterly effed up situation. She 'tried to talk him out of it', even drive him to the club once, but utterly failed to inform any authorities.

Report: Pulse Shooter's Current Wife Tried to Dissuade Him From Nightclub Massacre

Citing unnamed officials familiar with the case, NBC News reports that Omar Mateen’s current wife, Noor, told the FBI that she tried to talk her husband out of attacking Pulse, the gay nightclub where he killed 50 people, including himself, this weekend.

She said she was with him when he bought ammunition and a holster, the officials said, and once drove him to the nightclub so that he could assess the building. From NBC News:

Authorities are considering filing criminal charges against Noor for failing to tell them what she knew before the brutal attack, law enforcement officials say, but no decision has been made.

She is cooperating with investigators, several officials say.

Also on Tuesday, reports emerged that Mateen had at various points declared allegiance or sympathy to a variety of terrorist groups, including the Islamic State, al-Qaeda, and Hezbollah—all of which are in conflict with each other—further complicating attempts to determine his motive for the shooting.

Allah was his motive, do we have to continue this charade?

I hope she goes to prison, we have a federal crime called "misprision of a felony" which makes it illegal to fail to report a felony you know will occur.

Is a wife required to inform on her husband?

Is a person of integrity required to speak up when in possession of knowledge of a plan to attack and kill innocent human beings?

Failure to inform authorities should not be a crime. Being an asshole that makes that a crime however should be punishable by death.

18 USC ss4
Whoever, having knowledge of the actual commission of a felony cognizable by a court of the United States, conceals and does not as soon as possible make known the same to some judge or other person in civil or military authority under the United States, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both.

(June 25, 1948, ch. 645, 62 Stat. 684; Pub. L. 103–322, title XXXIII, § 330016(1)(G), Sept. 13, 1994, 108 Stat. 2147.)

Knowing and doing are two different things. One isn't responsible for "knowing", but one is responsible for doing. Driving him to the club for recon purposes is doing, making her complicit.
If I knew about someone who without any doubt has intentions to kill you (I saw him bying a gun for that), didn't you want to know about it?

Who did she hurt? Oh right, no one. Failure to inform authorities is not assisting in a crime or taking part in any sort of action whatsoever that harms anyone.

taking him around town to case targets is not just passive observance.

That may be so but generally speaking you're not required to tell the police if you have knowledge of a possible crime. There are lots of exceptions - like healthcare professionals who must report suspected child abuse - but there is no general requirement.

Of course if she was actively involved - and driving him to the gun store may qualify - that's a different story.

Apparently it is the law there that it is a crime to be in on a plan to commit mass murder. She didn't just overhear something. She was part of the "gang." The gang members always say later, "Oh, I didn't actually DO anything. I was just in the car. I didn't know he was actually going to kill anyone with the AR-15."

Allah was his motive, do we have to continue this charade?

I hope she goes to prison, we have a federal crime called "misprision of a felony" which makes it illegal to fail to report a felony you know will occur.

Allah was likely his excuse. Most available evidence now indicates homophobia and self-loathing were central to his motive.

Well there is no much I can do if you dont think it's a crime.
In Israel that's illegal and she would sentenced for assisting to a crime. In the US has different law for this?

you can google 18 usc subsection 4.

misprision of a felony, if you have concrete knowledge that a felony crime is imminent or in progress you can be charged for failure to report.

This wife was either (a) scared to death of him and afraid to call the police, or (b) fully supportive of this act and now is trying to talk her way out of guilt.

How is the dad shady?

I saw the dad's interview. One thing I had concern about was the way he presented his son...a normal guy, taking care of his family, non-violent, yada yada yada. When in fact, he had committed domestic abuse on his prior wife, was clearly (according to co-workers) a bipolar sort of guy prone to violence and violent statements (like repeatedly saying he wanted to kill N____). It's highly unlikely the guy was not himself around his dad, esp after seeing the gay kiss that his dad reported the son was so angry about.

But maybe it's human nature to put a nicer spin on the son and oneself after a horrific act.

Allah was likely his excuse. Most available evidence now indicates homophobia and self-loathing were central to his motive.

Well he claims his religion was the reason, and I believe him.

we have to stop pretending this is something else. it's doing no one a service.

its like last night I was listening to NPR and they're interviewing some imam in Florida and he's complaining that "our members are afraid of anti molsem backlash" and "you can look on youtube and people are shooting at targets of people in turbans" and all this other complaints, WE HAVE 150 VICTIMS SPLIT BETWEEN THE MORQUE AND EMERGENCY ROOM AND THIS GUY IS WITH A STRIAGHT FACING CLAIMING HE'S THE VICTIM OF THIS it makes my blood boil.

I disagree that it was necessarially so black and white.

Either of those suspicions are certainly possible but not to the exclusion of every other motivation, regardless of how irrational, that we could possibly conceive.

Well he claims his religion was the reason, and I believe him.

we have to stop pretending this is something else. it's doing no one a service.

its like last night I was listening to NPR and they're interviewing some imam in Florida and he's complaining that "our members are afraid of anti molsem backlash" and "you can look on youtube and people are shooting at targets of people in turbans" and all this other complaints, WE HAVE 150 VICTIMS SPLIT BETWEEN THE MORQUE AND EMERGENCY ROOM AND THIS GUY IS WITH A STRIAGHT FACING CLAIMING HE'S THE VICTIM OF THIS it makes my blood boil.

He has a history of violence.
He has a history of beating his wife. So badly her family had to come rescue her
His family says this whole thing was sparked off by seeing to gay men being affectionate in public.
It now turns out he was a patron of an establishment that caters exclusivly to gays and may have been for years
It now also turns out he had a profile at a gay dating site, and at least one gay hookup app on his cellphone.

This simply can't be ignored, and given that his 'allegiance' has been to terrorist organizations that are opposed to each other, the Allah bit seems like an excuse to cover up his self-loathing at possibly being gay, done so that even in death his family or whoever might still think he was a Muslim and not a homosexual.

Still too early to tell, but the evidence is starting to grow.

Who did she hurt? Oh right, no one. Failure to inform authorities is not assisting in a crime or taking part in any sort of action whatsoever that harms anyone.

I agree that "failure to inform" should not be a crime. However, it appears that she very well could be charged with "aiding and abetting" by driving him to the location to help him scout it out. It would depend on whether she knew of his intentions when she drove him to the location.

you can google 18 usc subsection 4.

misprision of a felony, if you have concrete knowledge that a felony crime is imminent or in progress you can be charged for failure to report.

Not completely correct. You also have to take steps to cover up the crime.

How is the dad shady?

I saw the dad's interview. One thing I had concern about was the way he presented his son...a normal guy, taking care of his family, non-violent, yada yada yada. When in fact, he had committed domestic abuse on his prior wife, was clearly (according to co-workers) a bipolar sort of guy prone to violence and violent statements (like repeatedly saying he wanted to kill N____). It's highly unlikely the guy was not himself around his dad, esp after seeing the gay kiss that his dad reported the son was so angry about.

But maybe it's human nature to put a nicer spin on the son and oneself after a horrific act.
Maybe he thinks that's "normal" because that's the way he is. :shrug:

I think the dad is shady as hell. I normally don't put any stock into expectations that people must act a certain way after a tragic event, but while watching his interview my gut told me he was way too calm and casual about the whole thing. I can't guess whether he had foreknowledge or not, but I do suspect that he approves.

Our misunderstanding lies in your ignorance of the details of this case. His wife was present when he scouted the nightclub, and she aided him in acquiring ammunition and a holster for his weapons.

She could have informed the authorities, such as the FBI, that her husband was planning to kill innocent people. That could have stopped this attack.

Sources?

As the FBI dropped their scrutiny over him, via his previous ties with other radicals, he was fully able to buy a firearm, ammunition, etc, due to the 2nd amendment. To implicate the wife, is to implicate the FBI as well, using your logic. This tragedy was a systemic failure due to various people/organizations.

If she drove him to the club, knowing what he was going to do, she's an accomplice.

What an utterly effed up situation. She 'tried to talk him out of it', even drive him to the club once, but utterly failed to inform any authorities.

Report: Pulse Shooter's Current Wife Tried to Dissuade Him From Nightclub Massacre

Citing unnamed officials familiar with the case, NBC News reports that Omar Mateen’s current wife, Noor, told the FBI that she tried to talk her husband out of attacking Pulse, the gay nightclub where he killed 50 people, including himself, this weekend.

She said she was with him when he bought ammunition and a holster, the officials said, and once drove him to the nightclub so that he could assess the building. From NBC News:

Authorities are considering filing criminal charges against Noor for failing to tell them what she knew before the brutal attack, law enforcement officials say, but no decision has been made.

She is cooperating with investigators, several officials say.

Also on Tuesday, reports emerged that Mateen had at various points declared allegiance or sympathy to a variety of terrorist groups, including the Islamic State, al-Qaeda, and Hezbollah—all of which are in conflict with each other—further complicating attempts to determine his motive for the shooting.

Sort of a perfect analogy with radicals and the so-called 'moderate' Muslims. They'll talk about how awful it is, they might even try to talk the crazies down. But when the rubber hits the road, do they actively attempt to STOP the killers?

Sadly, no.

Sources?

As the FBI dropped their scrutiny over him, via his previous ties with other radicals, he was fully able to buy a firearm, ammunition, etc, due to the 2nd amendment. To implicate the wife, is to implicate the FBI as well, using your logic. This tragedy was a systemic failure due to various people/organizations.

The FBI didn't have any probable cause. The Constitution is still in effect.

If she really did know, she is most likely trying to cover up the fact that she approved of it by saying she tried to stop him. Also, it doesn't matter. If you know someone is going to commit an act of terror, and you do nothing about it, you are guilty too. I don't care who the person is. She has blood on her hands as well if she knew and said nothing.

Back
Top Bottom