• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

BREAKING NEWS: Virginia Democrat wins governor's race

KidRocks

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Now that's what I call good news! New Jersey next?

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-11-08-election_x.htm

Virginia Democrat wins governor's race

The Associated Press

Democrat Lt. Gov. Tim Kaine won the Virginia governor's race Tuesday, soundly defeating Republican Jerry Kilgore in a contest for a GOP-leaning state that was closely watched by political analysts for signs of the public's mood ahead of next year's midterm elections.

In New Jersey, Democratic Sen. Jon Corzine opened up a strong lead against Republican Doug Forrester with a third of precincts counted.

Kilgore lost despite a last-minute rally with President Bush and a harsh campaign ad that alleged that Kaine, a Roman Catholic opposed to the death penalty, would not have executed Adolf Hitler.

Kaine had 812,235 votes, or 51.2%, to Kilgore's 737,747 votes, or 46.5%, with 82% of precincts reporting.

In New Jersey, Corzine had 413,431 votes, or 52.9%, and Forrester had 344,937 votes, or 44.1%.

Statewide ballot referendums put gay rights before the voters in Maine and Texas, while several government-overhaul measures on the ballot in California were seen as a referendum on GOP Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, who campaigned hard for them.

Both New Jersey and Virginia saw races for governor marked by nasty personal attacks. One ad in Virginia charged that one candidate would not have supported the death penalty for Adolf Hitler; another in New Jersey quoted a candidate's ex-wife as saying he would betray the state.

The left roars back! :rwbdonkey

meow
images

hipsterdufus said:
The left roars back! :rwbdonkey

meow
images
I don't recall that the left ever roared. They can probably partially thank the Bush admin. for doing such a crappy job.

Way to go Dems.

...and that's only the beginning. As Bush and his administration continue down its destructive path over the next two and three years, more and more of the American people are going to go to the polls and vote democratic.

cherith said:
Way to go Dems.

...and that's only the beginning. As Bush and his administration continue down its destructive path over the next two and three years, more and more of the American people are going to go to the polls and vote democratic.

WE WON JERSY TOO!!

What's next?

I'm just glad the ads are over. I was so damn annoyed by Kilgore's (the Rep candidate in VA) ads accusing Kaine (the dem candidate) of a dirty campaign when he was the one slinging all the mud in the first place. Anyone who had been watching TV the past few months could see that the only time Kaine went negative was to counter bull-**** put out by Kilgore. The only Kilgore ad I saw that wasn't negative was the one that featured his twin brother, and the oh so informative fact that we can tell them appart because the brother is the better looking one. Not that it matters at all though, stupid VA law makes it so that we can only have a governor for one term. I'll have to go through all this crap again in a few years. Different faces, same junk.

Woo hoo! I voted for Kaine.

Not only was I sick and tired of the commercials, I was tired of the phone calls I was getting every day.

aps said:
Woo hoo! I voted for Kaine.

Not only was I sick and tired of the commercials, I was tired of the phone calls I was getting every day.
Ohhh...Those damn phone calls...45 seconds of hell on an answering machine...

Last year, I voted against someone based purely on the taped phone calls I was getting from her...To this day, I don't know if she's a Con or a Lib...

I just know she's a moron...:(

cnredd said:
Ohhh...Those damn phone calls...45 seconds of hell on an answering machine...

Last year, I voted against someone based purely on the taped phone calls I was getting from her...To this day, I don't know if she's a Con or a Lib...

I just know she's a moron...:(

LMAO Redd.. did you get a last hour phone call Monday night with a taped message from Tom Ridge asking you to side with him in retaining Justice Newman? I was soooo mad that it wasn't a live person, because waking me up that late at night? Oh yeah, someone would have been in for an earful!

Virginia elected a Democrat governor who won by just over 100,000 votes, replacing the current Democrat Governor who won his election by just over 100,000 votes 4 years ago.

Why is the media hyping this so much? Not trying to be a smarty-pants, just trying to see why people are so excited. I'm not familiar with the VA political scene so I'm sure that has a lot to do with it. I was just reading this morning's news and seeing all the excitement and trying to understand why all high profile news. Same in New Jersey.

Your insight would be appreciated, thanks!

FireUltra 98 said:
Virginia elected a Democrat governor who won by just over 100,000 votes, replacing the current Democrat Governor who won his election by just over 100,000 votes 4 years ago.

Why is the media hyping this so much? Not trying to be a smarty-pants, just trying to see why people are so excited. I'm not familiar with the VA political scene so I'm sure that has a lot to do with it. I was just reading this morning's news and seeing all the excitement and trying to understand why all high profile news. Same in New Jersey.

Your insight would be appreciated, thanks!

Bingo, great observation sir, could not agree more.;)

In Loudon county, Bush pulled 56% of the vote in 2004.

Whereas, Kilgore only pulled 46% in this election, with a visit from Bush in the last days of the campaign.

This could be significant? The visit from Bush may have hurt Kilgore?

Congrats to the Dem governors...let's get our nation back to an acceptable level of sanity.

Hoot said:
In Loudon county, Bush pulled 56% of the vote in 2004.

Whereas, Kilgore only pulled 46% in this election, with a visit from Bush in the last days of the campaign.

This could be significant? The visit from Bush may have hurt Kilgore?

Congrats to the Dem governors...let's get our nation back to an acceptable level of sanity.

And this was happening when the former governor of New Jersey was cheating on his wife, with another man, and trading top positions, for anal sex? Yes, let's let the Democratic governors restore us all to some acceptable level of sanity, LOL, that stuff is classic my friend.:rofl

Deegan said:
And this was happening when the former governor of New Jersey was cheating on his wife, with another man, and trading top positions, for anal sex? Yes, let's let the Democratic governors restore us all to some acceptable level of sanity, LOL, that stuff is classic my friend.:rofl
There could be some truth to Hoot's claim though. Lookie here:

Governor to keep distance from Bush – again
At the Republican National Convention last year, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger couldn't say enough good things about President Bush. But lately, it looks like he's trying to avoid him.

The president will visit California this week for the second time since August, but he and the Republican governor are not expected to see each other – in public or private – for the second consecutive time.

With the Nov. 8 special election looming, Schwarzenegger is trying to court independents and Democrats to support a string of his ballot proposals – two groups of voters that polls show loath the Republican president.

"Unless President Bush is coming to California to hand over a check from the federal government to help us with the financial challenges we face, the visit seems ill timed," said Karen Hanretty, a spokeswoman for the state Republican Party.

So, in other words, Bush cooties.

Generally, I vote republican. But when the Bush Adminstration started to push for a CIA exemption of torture, I have decided to vote democrat, as punishment towards the republican party for allowing the "Patriot" Act and for pushing a CIA exemption to enable it to torture.

Not that voting democrat would necessarily abolish the "Patriot" Act, which this act does need to be abolished. Their is a right way to fight terror and the wrong way to fight terror. The quote "Patriot" Act is certainly the wrong way.

shuamort said:

"Unless President Bush is coming to California to hand over a check from the federal government to help us with the financial challenges we face, the visit seems ill timed," said Karen Hanretty, a spokeswoman for the state Republican Party.

That is out of context. Bush's visit to California was "ill-timed" because his fund raiser conflicted with Arnold's fund raiser. They only wished that Bush had waited until after November, it didn't have anything to do with "Bush cooties."

shuamort said:

All 4 of Arnies ballot measures flopped anyways.

Binary_Digit said:
That is out of context. Bush's visit to California was "ill-timed" because his fund raiser conflicted with Arnold's fund raiser. They only wished that Bush had waited until after November, it didn't have anything to do with "Bush cooties."
Good catch. I found more info:

Republican Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger said Tuesday he wants President Bush to delay a planned October fundraising visit to California because the governor fears it will siphon off donations he needs to help his Nov. 8 special election measures.

"In the next two months, it would be better if we just do the fundraising," Schwarzenegger said in an interview with The Chronicle. "Then let us go (past) our special election -- and then they can pick it up again, the (Republican) national committee."

shuamort said:

I don't doubt that, I doubt the claim that Democratic governors are more honest and capable then Republican ones?:confused: Please note that a Republican was re-elected in the most liberal state in the nation, they obviously don't feel this way either. But yes, Bush probably did cost him votes, he has become a strain on the entire party.

I think the Democratic wins in these states means a lot. Kilgore was probably affected by the Bush visit, especially in the critical time this is for the administration. If that didn't affect Kilgore, I would be surprised.

Also, I think as much as the media has hyped these up, I think these wins will come back to people's minds during the Senate races next year. The Dem nominees probably won't hurt from it, that's for sure, and it looks like people might be starting to react to the administration's problems.

I am sure that the Republicans are hurting, and will continue to hurt in the 06 campaigns. Still, this was a Democrat, replacing in Democrat in both elections, so it is not at all surprising to me that they both won their states. We will have to wait until Dem's start replacing Republicans, then we will know for certain we have a problem.

Deegan said:
I am sure that the Republicans are hurting, and will continue to hurt in the 06 campaigns. Still, this was a Democrat, replacing in Democrat in both elections, so it is not at all surprising to me that they both won their states. We will have to wait until Dem's start replacing Republicans, then we will know for certain we have a problem.
One of the Dems being replaced was rocked by a sex scandal which surely couldn't have helped his replacements campaign, if anything it probably hurt him a bit.

Back
Top Bottom