• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

BREAKING NEWS: Virginia Democrat wins governor's race

scottyz said:
One of the Dems being replaced was rocked by a sex scandal which surely couldn't have helped his replacements campaign, if anything it probably hurt him a bit.
True, and the guy still won. That's got to say something.

In terms of the 06 races, there are some Dems that will hold their seats, no doubt. As far as replacements go, as long as Santorum in PA keeps up his antics, I think the Dems have a good shot at taking that one over.

KidRocks said:
Now that's what I call good news! New Jersey next?

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-11-08-election_x.htm

Virginia Democrat wins governor's race

The Associated Press

Democrat Lt. Gov. Tim Kaine won the Virginia governor's race Tuesday, soundly defeating Republican Jerry Kilgore in a contest for a GOP-leaning state that was closely watched by political analysts for signs of the public's mood ahead of next year's midterm elections.

In New Jersey, Democratic Sen. Jon Corzine opened up a strong lead against Republican Doug Forrester with a third of precincts counted.

Kilgore lost despite a last-minute rally with President Bush and a harsh campaign ad that alleged that Kaine, a Roman Catholic opposed to the death penalty, would not have executed Adolf Hitler.

Kaine had 812,235 votes, or 51.2%, to Kilgore's 737,747 votes, or 46.5%, with 82% of precincts reporting.

In New Jersey, Corzine had 413,431 votes, or 52.9%, and Forrester had 344,937 votes, or 44.1%.

Statewide ballot referendums put gay rights before the voters in Maine and Texas, while several government-overhaul measures on the ballot in California were seen as a referendum on GOP Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, who campaigned hard for them.

Both New Jersey and Virginia saw races for governor marked by nasty personal attacks. One ad in Virginia charged that one candidate would not have supported the death penalty for Adolf Hitler; another in New Jersey quoted a candidate's ex-wife as saying he would betray the state.

The democratic victory in Va. means very little.....As in NJ there was already a democratic governor there so all it does is keep the status quo..........

For the dems to make gains they have to unseat a republican........

ShullsM said:

In terms of the 06 races, there are some Dems that will hold their seats, no doubt. As far as replacements go, as long as Santorum in PA keeps up his antics, I think the Dems have a good shot at taking that one over.

Do you really believe that the dems in Pa. will vote for a pro life candidate like Casey? If you do I have some waterfront property in Arizona I want to sell you.........:roll:

ShullsM said:

:ranton:

I'm not sure where you live, Shulls, but I suggest maybe brushing up on Pennsylvania Politics 101 before trying to speak for the state in which I reside. Pennsylvania residents made state history yesterday in denying retention for Democratic Supreme Court Justice Nigro, and Republican Supreme Court Justice Newman BARELY held onto her spot.

"Justice Russell M. Nigro won only 49 percent of the vote with three percent of the state's precincts still unreported, becoming the first statewide judge to be turned out of office in a yes-or-no "retention'' election in the 36 years such elections have been held.

A Democrat, Nigro received strong support in and around his native Philadelphia but was overwhelmed by lopsided margins in south-central and southwestern regions of the state, where opposition to the pay raise was concentrated. Justice Sandra Schultz Newman won a second term with 54 percent of the vote, a close margin for a retention election."

http://www.abc27.com/news/stories/1105/276113.html

The PA House and Senate have passed a slots bill and a pay raise bill, both in the dead of night without public debate, which is in violation of the State Constitution. They are trying to pass the pay raise repeal in the same manner. Currently there is 1 lawsuit filed in Federal Court, and I believe 2 suits within the State Court. Republican, Democrat, it doesn't matter. The residents within this state, after last night's election, have made it clear they are taking aim at the State Capitol.

Santorum is NOTHING on our minds at the moment. And umm, by the way, we have a Democratic Governor, with Republican Congress, and we, as the taxpayers, cannot tell them apart. At this point in time.. They, nor anyone that tries to align themselves with this host of bandits, will be spared from the PA Voter.

:rantoff:

Navy Pride said:
Do you really believe that the dems in Pa. will vote for a pro life candidate like Casey? If you do I have some waterfront property in Arizona I want to sell you.........:roll:

Bob Casey Sr. was a pro life Democrat who enjoyed alot of Democratic and Republican support in his 2 terms as Governor. Bob Casey Jr. will be no different. But thank you for trying to speak for me. I really do appreciate it :roll:

debate_junkie said:
Bob Casey Sr. was a pro life Democrat who enjoyed alot of Democratic and Republican support in his 2 terms as Governor. Bob Casey Jr. will be no different. But thank you for trying to speak for me. I really do appreciate it :roll:

Yes but Bob Casey Sr was a Governor, not a senator.....There is a huge difference..........I am trying to think of 1 pro life democrat in the U.S. Senate........Can you help me with that?:roll:

Thanks

Oh byt the way I am originally from Western Pa. Altoona to be exact...A very Conservative part of the state......

Navy Pride said:
Yes but Bob Casey Sr was a Governor, not a senator.....There is a huge difference..........I am trying to think of 1 pro life democrat in the U.S. Senate........Can you help me with that?:roll:
John Breaux (D-LA) is a bit pro-life:
Voted YES on criminal penalty for harming unborn fetus during other crime.
Voted YES on banning partial birth abortions except for maternal life.
Voted YES on maintaining ban on Military Base Abortions
Voted YES on banning partial birth abortions.
Voted YES on disallowing overseas military abortions
Rated 14% by NARAL, indicating a pro-life voting record.

Nothing speaks more loudly to how little public support the Democrat party has than the fact that they are so desperate to portray a small handful of trivial victories in two extremely liberal states and Virginia as a national movement in their favor.

It is sad; it is the sound a dying party of hysterics and adolescants makes just before it realizes its doom.

shuamort said:
John Breaux (D-LA) is a bit pro-life:
Voted YES on criminal penalty for harming unborn fetus during other crime.
Voted YES on banning partial birth abortions except for maternal life.
Voted YES on maintaining ban on Military Base Abortions
Voted YES on banning partial birth abortions.
Voted YES on disallowing overseas military abortions
Rated 14% by NARAL, indicating a pro-life voting record.

I would call him a moderate when it comes to the abortion issue......I see nothing there that says he against all abortions except where the mother's life is endangered....That is what defines pro life.......I do think John Breax was a great Senator, your problem is he is no longer in the Senate........He was replaced by a pro life Republican.......

Navy Pride said:
I would call him a moderate when it comes to the abortion issue......I see nothing there that says he against all abortions except where the mother's life is endangered....That is what defines pro life.......I do think John Breax was a great Senator, your problem is he is no longer in the Senate........He was replaced by a pro life Republican.......
Well, FWIW, the NRLC thought he was pro-life

...chaired by pro-life Senator John Breaux (D-La.)...

I forgot he was out of office. :doh

Here's an interesting website:
Democrats for Life and here's a list of their "all-stars" (whatever that means).

shuamort said:
Well, FWIW, the NRLC thought he was pro-life

I forgot he was out of office. :doh

Here's an interesting website:
Democrats for Life and here's a list of their "all-stars" (whatever that means).

Well all the voting items you listed did not say that......I mean I know Bob Casey is pro life becasue he has said so......

Navy Pride said:

Thanks

Oh byt the way I am originally from Western Pa. Altoona to be exact...A very Conservative part of the state......

what is the difference? The people of Pennsylvania get to decide if Casey Jr goes to Washington or not. If they elected his father to the highest seat in PA, what makes you think they wouldn't want his son, who pretty much IS a carbon copy of him, belief wise, to go to Washington? :doh

Navy Pride said:

Thanks

NP, I've been to Altoona many times and have relatives in Duncansville! Small world. Altoona is definitely in the "Alabama" portion of the PA.

Have you seen the polls on Casey? He's way out in front and is getting a lot of Bipartisan support from Republicans who are embarrassed by Man on Gog Santorum. His stance on pro life is pretty irrelevant as a Senator. Actually he would have a harder time if he were running for Gov, since if and when Roe v Wade is overturned it will come back to the states, and the Gov would take a leading role on the issue.

hipsterdufus said:
NP, I've been to Altoona many times and have relatives in Duncansville! Small world. Altoona is definitely in the "Alabama" portion of the PA.

Have you seen the polls on Casey? He's way out in front and is getting a lot of Bipartisan support from Republicans who are embarrassed by Man on Gog Santorum. His stance on pro life is pretty irrelevant as a Senator. Actually he would have a harder time if he were running for Gov, since if and when Roe v Wade is overturned it will come back to the states, and the Gov would take a leading role on the issue.

I know Duncansville well.Dated a girl from there one time..............So do you think if elected Casey would vote to overturn Roe V Wade?

You know how I feel about polls whether they favor my candidate or not......Santorum is very popular un Western Pa........We shall see what happens........

Rick In-Sane-torum is a total nut job. That is why he a very poor chance of being reelected next year. Moreover, the guy is one of the authors of the "K-Street Project" which is two thirds what is wrong with government anymore.

That said, I can't see where this election in anyway shows a big swing toward the Democrats. The Democrats are merely holding on to offices they already had. I am not saying that the Democrats don't have a good chance next year, but rather, this is being overhyped.

Navy Pride said:
Gee Pride, ever hear of Senator Harry Reid? He happens to be the leader of the Democratic party in the Senate and is PRO-LIFE!

Your posts are hilarious! I suggested yesterday that you start posting the opposite of what you believe is the truth and then you'd start to get things right...give it a shot...you have nothing to lose since so many or most of your posts are always wrong...

Harry Reid...hear of him?

aquapub said:
Nothing speaks more loudly to how little public support the Democrat party has than the fact that they are so desperate to portray a small handful of trivial victories in two extremely liberal states and Virginia as a national movement in their favor.

It is sad; it is the sound a dying party of hysterics and adolescants makes just before it realizes its doom.
Virginia is a liberal state? :rofl :2funny:

The liberal state of Virginia which voted for Bush in the last two presidential elections? Amazing dude, amazing!

SouthernDemocrat said:
Rick In-Sane-torum is a total nut job. That is why he a very poor chance of being reelected next year. Moreover, the guy is one of the authors of the "K-Street Project" which is two thirds what is wrong with government anymore.

That said, I can't see where this election in anyway shows a big swing toward the Democrats. The Democrats are merely holding on to offices they already had. I am not saying that the Democrats don't have a good chance next year, but rather, this is being overhyped.

Well he is very popular in Westrn Pa. so we shall see......

Thank you for you honesty though on the 2 elections........

The liberal state of Virginia which voted for Bush in the last two presidential elections? Amazing dude, amazing!

Northern VA is pretty liberal, but the rest of the state (I.E. the boonies) is pretty conservative.

Navy Pride said:
Well he is very popular in Westrn Pa. so we shall see......

Thank you for you honesty though on the 2 elections........

Not since it was discovered a western PA school district was paying to educate Mr Santorum's children, through a charter school while they resided where.. oh yeah in Virginia. It may not seem like a big deal, but many of the school districts in and around Pittsburgh are suffering financially. Oh but I forgot, when all that came out, all it was was Democrat's NOT knowing how to be fair. It couldn't have been Santorum was intentionally misleading a school district, his children taking the places in a charter school that 2 PA children could have had. The Democrats where just engaged in more "partisan politics", isn't that right Navy?

hipsterdufus said:

He wouldn't have a hard time running for governor (well unless it was against Lynn Swann, because right now I think some Pennsylvanian's are just star struck with that one). Casey Sr put in the first parental notification laws when it came to minors and abortion.. making it a crime to not get parental notification (unless there were egregious circumstances where it was necessary for a court to "act" as parent) and also to make it a crime to transport a minor over the state line to have an abortion in a state where PN wasn't the law.

And I'll have you know, I'd sooner trust Casey Jr. with that choice, then I would our current "gov" or most of the ones previous. I believe Casey would FIRMLY put it to a vote of the people... A referendum would be put onto our ballot, and we'd get to decide if and how abortion would be legal or illegal in our state, and THAT's as it should be.

OdgenTugbyGlub said:
Northern VA is pretty liberal, but the rest of the state (I.E. the boonies) is pretty conservative.

I think the Arlington, Virginia, area is pretty liberal. I would not label Fairfax County (which is where I live) as pretty liberal. Kerry barely won in Fairfax and easily won in Arlington. Kaine won Arlington by a huge margin and in Fairfax by a good margin. A democrat won in Louden and Prince William Counties for the first time in years in this governor's race. Not even Mark Warner won those two counties.

For anyone to say that Virginia is liberal is a joke. I don't know the last time this state went blue in the presidential election.

By the way, Mark Warner for president! I think if he ran in 2008, we could stand a decent chance of winning. The man is very positive, very smart, and knows how to get things done. He is a governor from a red state, which is what the strategists have been saying our party needs in order to take back the White House.

If a democrat won the next presidential election, I would not be telling you cons/repubs to "get over it." Just FYI.

hipsterdufus said:

I've read the same thing about the polls. Maybe the impact of putting Casey in the Senate seat wouldn't be overwhelmingly dramatic, but at least it might create some exposure for the rest of the Dems. As for Santorum, I don't know exactly how all of PA feels about him, but I would imagine his alignment with Bush doesn't neccesarily help matters in his case right now. Who knows...

Also, I would never consider VA a liberal state. While Kaine's win on Tuesday may be a bit overhyped, it's not unimportant as some are saying.

aps said:
I think the Arlington, Virginia, area is pretty liberal. I would not label Fairfax County (which is where I live) as pretty liberal. Kerry barely won in Fairfax and easily won in Arlington. Kaine won Arlington by a huge margin and in Fairfax by a good margin. A democrat won in Louden and Prince William Counties for the first time in years in this governor's race. Not even Mark Warner won those two counties.

For anyone to say that Virginia is liberal is a joke. I don't know the last time this state went blue in the presidential election.

By the way, Mark Warner for president! I think if he ran in 2008, we could stand a decent chance of winning. The man is very positive, very smart, and knows how to get things done. He is a governor from a red state, which is what the strategists have been saying our party needs in order to take back the White House.

If a democrat won the next presidential election, I would not be telling you cons/repubs to "get over it." Just FYI.
I think Kaine won because of Warner backing him........I also think Warner would be a great candidate for president and I might even vote for him......

You have one huge problem though.............Because of his moderate stand on political issues and your party being controlled by the far left, like Leiberman, Bay, Breax or any other moderate he has no chance to win the nomination.......

It will be the "Ice Princess" Hillary......She is the darling of your left wing base and she will lose big time because she is fooling no one about moving to the center........."Slick Willie" fooled people in 1992 but it won't happen again......

Navy Pride said:
I think Kaine won because of Warner backing him........I also think Warner would be a great candidate for president and I might even vote for him......

You have one huge problem though.............Because of his moderate stand on political issues and your party being controlled by the far left, like Leiberman, Bay, Breax or any other moderate he has no chance to win the nomination.......

It will be the "Ice Princess" Hillary......She is the darling of your left wing base and she will lose big time because she is fooling no one about moving to the center........."Slick Willie" fooled people in 1992 but it won't happen again......

I think if Warner put his name in the race, he would stand a good chance of getting the nomination. He has more personality than Lieberman, by the way.

They say that what contributed to Kaine winning was that he talked about his faith throughout his campaign. Oh, I'm sure Warner's excellent record helped.

Back
Top Bottom