• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

BREAKING NEWS -- Surprise Jan 6 Hearing On Tuesday, June 28th With A Surprise Witness

RIP U.S. Democracy

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
We can only speculate who might be testifying tomorrow.

John Eastman's cell phone was recently seized by federal agents. Has he decided to turn on Trump?

The Washington Post article below states "credible security threats" to the witness....could it actually be Mike Pence?

Trump attorney Pat Cipollone could also be the mystery witness. Jeffrey Clark perhaps?

Perhaps a Republican member of Congress is the witness?

From the Washington Post article --

The House committee investigating the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol said Monday it will hold a surprise hearing on Tuesday to “present recently obtained evidence and receive witness testimony.”

It was not immediately clear whom the committee plans to interview and what topics lawmakers intend to focus on. The decision announced on Monday was shrouded in secrecy, with staff and committee members explicitly asked to go dark and not speak with media, according to two people involved with the investigation.

The news was so closely guarded that even some senior committee staff and aides to lawmakers were kept out of the loop as of Monday afternoon. Three people familiar with the investigation said that the secrecy is in part due to credible security threats to a witness.

Additional info, regarding the seizure of John Eastman's cell phone last week. --

Federal agents last week seized the cell phone of John Eastman, a lawyer who pushed false claims that mass voter fraud tainted the 2020 election and urged President Trump and other Republicans to block Joe Biden from becoming president.

Eastman’s lawyer, Charles Burnham, filed papers in federal court in New Mexico Monday asking a judge to order the cell phone returned to Eastman. It was seized pursuant to a search order when he left a restaurant last Wednesday — a day in which federal agents around the country delivered subpoenas, executed search warrants, and interviewed witnesses in a significant expansion of the criminal probes surrounding Jan. 6.

That same day, federal agents conducted a search at the northern Virginia home of Jeffrey Clark, a former Justice Department official who Trump considered appointing to run the department because he was willing to further a scheme to declare the election results invalid in some key states.

Both Clark and Eastman played crucial roles in Trump’s efforts in late 2020 and early 2021 to convince state legislators in about a half dozen states to replace the electors that Biden had won with electors for Trump. In theory, such a replacement would have kept Trump in the White House.

Monday’s court filings also suggest the Justice Department’s inspector general has become an important player in the criminal probes surrounding Jan. 6, because Eastman says his phone was taken by FBI agents acting on behalf of the inspector general. A spokeswoman for the inspector general declined to comment.

The inspector general is an independent entity tasked with rooting out waste, fraud and abuse within the Justice Department. IG investigations examine the conduct of current or former department officials, and the office’s role in this case suggests it may be reviewing the contents of Eastman’s phone as part of a criminal investigation into Clark or others who once worked at the department.

Last edited:
As much as I would love it to be Eastman, I can't believe that it is. Cipollone or the guy that was filming them maybe?

I hadn't heard the security thing until this thread, but the first speculation I saw was perhaps the documentary maker that just turned over his video to the committee. I can't imagine it being a member of Congress. I also don't see it being Eastman or Meadows. Pence seems unlikely, but less so than anyone previously named. After that, I don't know who else would need to be an immediate witness in secrecy, which suggests someone we haven't already heard from.

With all that said, it seems Cipollone or the documentarian are the most likely candidates to me.

John Eastman's cell phone was recently seized by federal agents. Has he decided to turn on Trump?

The Washington Post article below states "credible security threats" to the witness....could it actually be Mike Pence?

Trump attorney Pat Cipollone could also be the mystery witness. Jeffrey Clark perhaps?

The House committee investigating the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol said Monday it will hold a surprise hearing on Tuesday to “present recently obtained evidence and receive witness testimony.”

It was not immediately clear whom the committee plans to interview and what topics lawmakers intend to focus on. The decision announced on Monday was shrouded in secrecy, with staff and committee members explicitly asked to go dark and not speak with media, according to two people involved with the investigation.

The news was so closely guarded that even some senior committee staff and aides to lawmakers were kept out of the loop as of Monday afternoon. Three people familiar with the investigation said that the secrecy is in part due to credible security threats to a witness.

Additional info, regarding the seizure of John Eastman's cell phone last week. --

Federal agents last week seized the cell phone of John Eastman, a lawyer who pushed false claims that mass voter fraud tainted the 2020 election and urged President Trump and other Republicans to block Joe Biden from becoming president.

Eastman’s lawyer, Charles Burnham, filed papers in federal court in New Mexico Monday asking a judge to order the cell phone returned to Eastman. It was seized pursuant to a search order when he left a restaurant last Wednesday — a day in which federal agents around the country delivered subpoenas, executed search warrants, and interviewed witnesses in a significant expansion of the criminal probes surrounding Jan. 6.

That same day, federal agents conducted a search at the northern Virginia home of Jeffrey Clark, a former Justice Department official who Trump considered appointing to run the department because he was willing to further a scheme to declare the election results invalid in some key states.

Both Clark and Eastman played crucial roles in Trump’s efforts in late 2020 and early 2021 to convince state legislators in about a half dozen states to replace the electors that Biden had won with electors for Trump. In theory, such a replacement would have kept Trump in the White House.

Monday’s court filings also suggest the Justice Department’s inspector general has become an important player in the criminal probes surrounding Jan. 6, because Eastman says his phone was taken by FBI agents acting on behalf of the inspector general. A spokeswoman for the inspector general declined to comment.

The inspector general is an independent entity tasked with rooting out waste, fraud and abuse within the Justice Department. IG investigations examine the conduct of current or former department officials, and the office’s role in this case suggests it may be reviewing the contents of Eastman’s phone as part of a criminal investigation into Clark or others who once worked at the department.
It may be as simple as a review of some videos taken by Alex Holder, the documentarian. There may be so much material on video, supporting previous testimony, that the committee didn't want to wait too long to make it public.

I hadn't heard the security thing until this thread, but the first speculation I saw was perhaps the documentary maker that just turned over his video to the committee. I can't imagine it being a member of Congress. I also don't see it being Eastman or Meadows. Pence seems unlikely, but less so than anyone previously named. After that, I don't know who else would need to be an immediate witness in secrecy, which suggests someone we haven't already heard from.

With all that said, it seems Cipollone or the documentarian are the most likely candidates to me.

The documentarian -- are you referring to Alex Holder? It sounds like he recently testified to the committee, according to the New York Times. --

Alex Holder, a British documentary filmmaker who had extensive access to President Donald J. Trump and his family ahead of and after the 2020 election, has emerged late in the House’s investigation of the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the Capitol as a new and potentially important witness.

Mr. Holder testified behind closed doors on Thursday morning before the House committee investigating Mr. Trump’s efforts to subvert the results of the election he lost. His deposition took place ahead of a separate public hearing by the committee on Thursday about Mr. Trump’s effort to install a loyalist to run the Justice Department in the closing weeks of his administration.

Mr. Holder’s footage — some 11 hours of it with the Trump family discussing the campaign and the election for a planned documentary called “Unprecedented” — was subpoenaed by the committee ahead of the interview.

Personally, I have a hard time believing that Trump would say something really self-incriminating in front of someone filming a documentary, but who knows.

Meadows could definitely be a possibility...

The documentarian -- are you referring to Alex Holder? It sounds like he recently testified to the committee, according to the New York Times. --
I think that is his name, yes. If he recently testified behind closed doors, then I'd say he's moved to the top of the list of potential witnesses.
Personally, I have a hard time believing that Trump would say something really self-incriminating in front of someone filming a documentary, but who knows.
I'd guess where Trump would get in trouble would be demeanor and refusal to take actions (and stating his reasons why).

Perhaps not incriminating, but potentially damning. Don't forget contemporaneous reports at the time reported Trump was watching on TV with glee with what the insurrectionists were doing.
Meadows could definitely be a possibility...
I'd say a real long shot, since he's still in a legal battle with the committee over subpoenas AND I don't see any way the committee would have him testify live if they do not already have him recorded giving testimony behind closed doors.

Count me in!

This is it. Trump will be frog-marched at 3:30 pm EST on CNN.

It's happening everyone. This is the Big One, Elizabeth!

LOL

There's no hearing scheduled on DirectTV yet... I've been setting them up to tape on CNN, but nada.

"Three people familiar with the investigation said that the secrecy is in part due to credible security threats to a witness."

Former Sen. Claire McCaskill:
"I will tell you one thing I know for sure having spent a lot of time in Washington, D.C., members of Congress don't show up three days before the Fourth of July weekend for just anything."

Is this more of Adam Schiff's "I have seen the evidence and it is more than circumstantial" type comment and then we never see any evidence? Lying sack.

The biggest turning point in Watergate hearings is when they found out about the tapes and to to listen to them. I think rather than someone coming in to testify, which trump could just refute, I think they have him on video or tape giving orders for the 6th an the attempts to overturn the election

The biggest turning point in Watergate hearings is when they found out about the tapes and to to listen to them. I think rather than someone coming in to testify, which trump could just refute, I think they have him on video or tape giving orders for the 6th an the attempts to overturn the election

Trump is stupid...but is he that stupid?

Anything is possible, but that's a whole different level of stupid.

I doubt it. This is more likely some lame BS that doesn't amount to sh--.

I thought they already have tons of that already. What was the recorded call to the Georgia people to find him votes?

I am not sure what more evidence is needed to get this guy off the streets.

I heard on the news just now that the Jan 6 Committee is concerned with witness tampering, which is why they are rushing the testimony of this witness.

So it's sounds like this person has probably not given any closed door/remote video teleconference testimony to the Jan 6 Committee previously.

My understanding is that Sean Hannity has turned on Trump and, tomorrow, will testify that he coordinated with Trump to stage the insurrection as a way to pick up ratings, kill Democrats and take over the world.

My understanding is that Sean Hannity has turned on Trump and, tomorrow, will testify that he coordinated with Trump to stage the insurrection as a way to pick up ratings, kill Democrats and take over the world.

So I'll bite...What do you think about Hannity lying to Trumpsters on Fox News all of the time?

Have you seen Hannity's text messages about Jan 6? He admitted that Biden won the election. He also said that the 25th Amendment should be invoked to remove Trump from office.

Why does Hannity lie to his Trumpster audience every night? Doesn't that upset you?

sarcasm is always a quick fix for fear

Back
Top Bottom