• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Breaking News Forum Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we still post selected text from the article if we want, or is the automatically generated preview the standard now?
You can but it is not required.

The moderation team have revised the BN forum rules and we are consolidating the two forums (BN - MSM and BN - Non-MSM) into one forum.

Highlights of the changes:

- a quoted excerpt is no longer required as a properly formatted link shows a preview of the article automatically
- source definition has been simplified

Q: What about [insert source here]?
A: If the source is a "news organization or website" then it is acceptable, however the article must meet the other standards and not be overly partisan or biased and not be an op-ed or editorial

Q: Why isn't Twitter (or some other social media) a valid source?
A: Twitter, Facebook and other social media sites don't go through an editorial process the way newspapers, magazines and television networks/stations do. Social media posts can be used to support or dispute the actual source, but the actual source needs to be a "news organization or website". Tweets from a "news organization or website" will contain a link to the actual "news organization or website" article - use the article as the source, not the tweet.

Q: What does "properly formatted" mean?
A: Listing the link on a line of it's own shows a preview automatically

Proper formatting:

Example 1

My own unique content to spur discussion...

Example 2

Improper formatting:

https://www.foxnews.com/world/iran-rejects-offer-of-direct-us-nuclear-talks-senior-diplomats-say - my own unique content to spur discussion...

It is our hope that this makes it easier to post an OP in the (now single) BN forum without a fear of receiving points.
Question: Several MSM sources now require paywall which others may not have full access to. Are there separate rules or other requirements when posting a link to one of them?

I think being a moderator is what makes you much easier for me to respect than the average conservative and Cowboys fan.

LMAO!

Humor, as in this example, works best when TRUE! :p

Question: Several MSM sources now require paywall which others may not have full access to. Are there separate rules or other requirements when posting a link to one of them?
There are not but if you post a link to an article behind a "paywall", half the responses will be people saying "I can't see it" which defeats the purpose of a debate forum. There isn't a rule but it's best to avoid "paywalls" as much as possible.

No extra rules, but I would suggest at least quoting the passage you want to highlight in that case as some will not be able to access the article, and adding alternate sources might be a good idea too.

I don't either, it's too scary. :oops:

Not that hard--you just have to follow the instructions to the letter. I haven't gotten a BN violation in awhile.

The moderation team have revised the BN forum rules and we are consolidating the two forums (BN - MSM and BN - Non-MSM) into one forum.

- a quoted excerpt is no longer required as a properly formatted link shows a preview of the article automatically

A: If the source is a "news organization or website" then it is acceptable, however the article must meet the other standards and not be overly partisan or biased and not be an op-ed or editorial

Will there be a baseline standard for what counts as a "news organization or website"? A site such as RT.com is a Russian propaganda website, and I sure wouldn't start an article from DailyKos and call it BN.

Some news article URL's, like those at MSN, do not yield previews.
As stated previously, this won't be an issue. If you post the link on a line of its own the preview will either display or it won't.

The purpose of the rule change was to eliminate as many infractions as possible. The mods don't take pleasure in issuing them. We're not going to issue infractions because the preview didn't load. They do most of the time but not every time.

Not that hard--you just have to follow the instructions to the letter. I haven't gotten a BN violation in awhile.
I haven't gotten a violation in a long time either but that's only because I don't show up here much anymore, that's the only reason I haven't.

A: Twitter, Facebook and other social media sites don't go through an editorial process the way newspapers, magazines and television networks/stations do. Social media posts can be used to support or dispute the actual source, but the actual source needs to be a "news organization or website". Tweets from a "news organization or website" will contain a link to the actual "news organization or website" article - use the article as the source, not the tweet.

Proper formatting:

Example 1

Example 2

Improper formatting:

https://www.foxnews.com/world/iran-rejects-offer-of-direct-us-nuclear-talks-senior-diplomats-say - my own unique content to spur discussion...

It is our hope that this makes it easier to post an OP in the (now single) BN forum without a fear of receiving points.
After mulling it over this is one of the single best things you've done with the forum.

I haven't gotten a violation in a long time either but that's only because I don't show up here much anymore, that's the only reason I haven't.
I did and learned from a number of BN MSM infractions - best advice was to use Wiki to source the site. Rules were clear

As @Chomsky implied, BN MSM was the crucible of following the rules
Separated Elders from the yearlings

I did and learned from a number of BN MSM infractions - best advice was to use Wiki to source the site. Rules were clear

I was reading your comment and just noticed the quote from @trixare4kids and man-oh-man..... it was definitely a keeper. Wow, just wow

/like

Eh? Show-up more, practice better self-control. We miss you!

I haven't tried starting a thread in BN since I first bumbled in there breaking all the rules when I was very new. I kept thinking that one day when I wanted a challenge, I would try to post something and comply with all the rules. Maybe one day I will, but I commend the staff for all the effort you have put into improving the format. It must take a great deal of work for the moderators to check that each post is formatted correctly. Kudos to you. If it is hard for us to write and check postings, it is hard for you to read and check postings.

I haven't tried starting a thread in BN since I first bumbled in there breaking all the rules when I was very new. I kept thinking that one day when I wanted a challenge, I would try to post something and comply with all the rules. Maybe one day I will, but I commend the staff for all the effort you have put into improving the format. It must take a great deal of work for the moderators to check that each post is formatted correctly. Kudos to you. If it is hard for us to write and check postings, it is hard for you to read and check postings.
We do not check every post. Even if we wanted to, the time involved would be far to great. With that said, I could usually tell just by the thread title if a thread had a violation in it. Not always(for example, the quoted exert that this change does away with would slip past the thread title test, but if a thread in BN had the title "Proof Biden/Trump(pick whichever) is a mouth breathing moron", you could safely guess it was a rule violation. And you would be surprised at how many of those threads there were.

It's a matter of priorities.

I never understood why the Mods cared more about formatting than content - such as making sure people provide support or a link to support their position.

It's a matter of priorities.

I never understood why the Mods cared more about formatting than content - such as making sure people provide support or a link to support their position.
The prior BN rules existed for a long time, even before I became a mod. They were a little archaic and outdated. We've needed to update the rules of the BN forum(s) for some time now. We feel what we have now is simpler and will prevent infractions (something we don't like issuing).

Are outlets like brietbart or the NYPost considered as a news organization or are they only allowed in the General Politics forum?

And can you clarify with regards to what "biased standards" are? Because even Fox and CNN news articles are biased right and left respectively.

Are outlets like brietbart or the NYPost considered as a news organization or are they only allowed in the General Politics forum?

And can you clarify with regards to what "biased standards" are? Because even Fox and CNN news articles are biased right and left respectively.
Yes, those are considered news organizations.

The mods determine if an article is biased or not, just as we always have. "Biased" generally means if opinion is injected in the article. A negative article of [insert politician here] isn't necessarily biased unless the article contains opinion.

Proper formatting:

Example 1

Example 2

Improper formatting:

Can i still report it if the link isnt properly formatted? And thus doesnt preview? As you know BN is full of drive by posts where someone just posts a link, makes a snarky comment and disappears. I dont think this is the in the spirt of a debate forum. Maybe they think this is twitter. Quoted excerpts helped with this as it forced people to quote what they found interesting in the news and wanted to debate.

The goal was to make it easier for posters. I do not think there is anything for you to fear in this.
Fewer infractions BN MSM was tightly moderated, less work for Mods who are busy enough as it is

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom