• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Breaking: Feds to allow WA and CO pot laws to take effect.

Painter

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
WASHINGTON -- The United States government took a historic step back from its long-running drug war on Thursday, when Attorney General Eric Holder informed the governors of Washington and Colorado that the Department of Justice would allow the states to create a regime that would regulate and implement the ballot initiatives that legalized the use of marijuana for adults.

-continued with link to follow:
Eric Holder Says DOJ Will Let Washington, Colorado Marijuana Laws Go Into Effect

Another small victory for freedom.

So what, they'll just raid and harass the other 20 something states that have medical marijuana?

Well, it's a step in the right direction.

So what, they'll just raid and harass the other 20 something states that have medical marijuana?

A rather big step.
This will also impact the enthusiasm that law enforcement holds in going after marijuana where it has been decriminalized, or where medical marijuana has been legalized.

But most importantly, it creates a model for the nation to look at while determining if this might be good for their state.
Once we reach enough states with full legalization for adults, it will start to become a constitutional issue in that you can not send people away to prison for doing something that is legal in half the Country.

We are winning this war.
It is just too bad that I will be an old freaking man by the time we actually win. :(

No, they've basically said they won't challenge any state laws regarding marijuana as long as they fall in line with 8 federal enforcement guidelines, which include stuff like not selling to kids, not using the money for trafficking or money laundering, etc.

No, they've basically said they won't challenge any state laws regarding marijuana as long as they fall in line with 8 federal enforcement guidelines, which include stuff like not selling to kids, not using the money for trafficking or money laundering, etc.

Ah ok, that wasn't quite clear in the article that it would apply to all the states.

I think the 8 guidelines are very reasonable and I see this as a really big win for liberty.

Now we just wait and see if they are the liars we've come to know them to be or if they're going to try a different path.

Ah ok, that wasn't quite clear in the article that it would apply to all the states.

I think the 8 guidelines are very reasonable and I see this as a really big win for liberty.

While I have no problems with reduction of drugged driving, it seems that one is a bit out of place within the scope of federal enforcement.

I also hearken back to the memo where Holder said that they would not focus on prosecution of dispensaries unless they are in violation of both state and federal law, and how they managed to find a LOT of wiggle room to still raid under those restrictions.

I could be wrong, but when I saw the inclusion of drugged driving in the list of federal enforcement priorities it both stuck out like a sore thumb, and read as a potential red flag for still allowing a lot of leeway since preventing drugged driving as a priority seems to allow room for a lot of loose interpretation.

Though I think the idea is nice, I have no trust the Obama admin will actually follow through.

While I have no problems with reduction of drugged driving, it seems that one is a bit out of place within the scope of federal enforcement.

I also hearken back to the memo where Holder said that they would not focus on prosecution of dispensaries unless they are in violation of both state and federal law, and how they managed to find a LOT of wiggle room to still raid under those restrictions.

I could be wrong, but when I saw the inclusion of drugged driving in the list of federal enforcement priorities it both stuck out like a sore thumb, and read as a potential red flag for still allowing a lot of leeway since preventing drugged driving as a priority seems to allow room for a lot of loose interpretation.

Yeah, Clownboy said it earlier "Now let's just see if they remain the liars we've come to know them as."

Hopefully they're serious this time.

As soon as the government starts collecting tax money from the marijuana industry, you'll find the anti-legalization positions will disappear quickly

And so, another law falls before the onslaught of an Obama executive order. Regardless of whether this is or is not the right decision, an executive order is not the legal way to accomplish it.

It kinda makes me long for the days when "rule of law" actually meant something.

And so, another law falls before the onslaught of an Obama executive order. Regardless of whether this is or is not the right decision, an executive order is not the legal way to accomplish it.

It kinda makes me long for the days when "rule of law" actually meant something.

Where do you get "Executive Order" from.
By this definition is was not an Executive order:
Executive order - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rule of Law is exactly what Holder is respecting here.
States make their own laws concerning alcohol. And they should make there own laws concerning Marijuana.

Now we just wait and see if they are the liars we've come to know them to be or if they're going to try a different path.

I see this move as a bit of backing down by the Obama administration. Perhaps they are trying to appear more compassionate and in tune with public opinion. Perhaps they are trying to appear in tune with the Tenth Amendment. It is a good step, and credit must be given.

Nonetheless, I don't trust those 2 as far as I could throw them.

Do all painters use cannabis, or is that just some stupid stereotype?

Mostly true.
I've employed over 375 painters in 19 years and I have never met a painter that was good at his job and worth the money I paid him, that did not either smoke pot or drink heavily.
The best painter I ever saw was actually addicted to pretty much everything. And he'd out work 3 fully experienced men any day.

I think it relates to the monotony of the job, focusing on a level of perfection that most people are unable to even see, and the need for something to help you stay focused and not daydream. :)

Last edited:
Mostly true.
I've employed over 375 painters in 19 years and I have never met a painter that was good at his job and worth the money I paid him, that did not either smoke pot or drink heavily.
The best painter I ever saw was actually addicted to pretty much everything. And he'd out work 3 fully experienced men any day.

I think it relates to the monotony of the job, focusing on a level of perfection that most people are unable to even see, and the need for something to help you stay focused and not daydream. :)

Former industrial protective coatings contractor here. :)

Former industrial protective coatings contractor here. :)

Ah, then you should know :p
Anyhow, I have often wondered if it is just this way in the South or if it is a National thing.
Your input?

About freakin time.

Eric Holder is also a lying sack of dog ****. As long as the federal laws still stand, the DEA will be back.

The DEA ain't goin' anywhere, nor is the FBI.

The prohibition status quo is being protected by many. They're giving an inch, and keeping a mile.

Back
Top Bottom