• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Break up of United Kingdom a serious possibility.

Scotland wants a new referendum and is doing the paper work to do so.

Nicola Sturgeon announces plans for second Scottish independence referendum after UK votes for Brexit | UK Politics | News | The Independent

Northern Ireland is contemplating demanding independence to join the rest of Ireland.

EU referendum result: Sinn Fein's Martin McGuinness calls for border poll on united Ireland after Brexit | UK Politics | News | The Independent

Politicians and people in London and other major metropolitan areas are contemplating going for independence from the United Kingdom as well.

It's time for London to leave the UK | Voices | The Independent

And of course because Farage the fool said that if the result was close and in favour of stay, then he would demand a new vote. Well now it was for leave, but that has not stopped a petition on the government website for a second referendum.

Brexit: Petition for second EU referendum so popular the government site's crashing | UK | News | The Independent

Along with the chaos with no government to deal with this for at least 3 months... then it looks more and more like Great Britain is in serious trouble and will break up with in the next few years.

Break up of the UK? The Scottish question was never going to go away. The rest, alarmist claptrap.

That might not be true anymore as there has apparently been a run for Irish passports and most likely an increase in Republicanism which has always been 50/50.

When on earth has it ever been 50/50 ? Unionists have had a huge majority in the Northern Irish parliament for the entirity of its existence.

When on earth has it ever been 50/50 ? Unionists have had a huge majority in the Northern Irish parliament for the entirity of its existence.

NI_Assembly_seat_share.png

I would not call 51% or 52% a huge majority.

NI_Assembly_seat_share.png

I would not call 51% or 52% a huge majority.

I guess the devil would be in the details of which parties made up the ´´other´´ camp. Even parties like the Alliance and the Greens still have a stance on NI´s consitutional status.

I guess the devil would be in the details of which parties made up the ´´other´´ camp. Even parties like the Alliance and the Greens still have a stance on NI´s consitutional status.

There is also the fact that just because they voted for a Unionist party does not mean they do not support joining Ireland. Also FPTP.

That might not be true anymore as there has apparently been a run for Irish passports and most likely an increase in Republicanism which has always been 50/50.

It's never been 50/50. It was engineered to have a Protestant (unionist) majority. That's why it was only six counties.

The British took it.

But all this "the UK is going to break up" stuff I think is a bit hybolic at this point. They just had a vote, the UK is still in the EU today. Maybe Parliament adheres to the vote to leave, and then we're still looking at years for the UK to leave. And who knows, in that time maybe the UK has another vote and elects to stay.

We dont know at this point. And then the whole UK will break up...maybe there are votes in the distant future, but it's unlikely to actually break apart. And London particularly wont break away.

This is all Chicken Little.nonsense by people reacting emotionally rather than logically. It's all going to get sorted in the end.

I don't think it'd be possible to have another vote and change their mind. And I don't think Brussels will wait years for them to leave. They're out, and damned soon, too.

There is also the fact that just because they voted for a Unionist party does not mean they do not support joining Ireland. Also FPTP.

The NI parliament doesnt use FPTP but yes i take your point on both counts. I´m sure some will change their minds (particularly the young who are less sectarian then their parents due to school integration etc) but then again

1 Those wishing to escape the economic situation can simply claim Irish passports (to which everyone on either side of the border is entitled) and leave

2 Much of the population would have a more stubborn approach given the bloody civil war they fought and all.

Generally speaking I wouldn´t be to bothered if the UK spilt up, border controls etc. could be cumbersome but there are many small countries that seem to be doing ok in the world. Not to mention that NI Scotland and Wales all have a huge problem with aging populations so i cant imagine immigration being a problem.

Last edited:
You raise something else though - historically our largest immigrant population is the Irish.

I don't think Ireland has ever been our largest immigrant population.

Germany, the UK (as a whole) and Italy dominated for a long time.

Mexico sends more by FAR than anyone else these days...with China a far-back second.

The IRA may have supported the Germans---shocking, I know :roll:

But Ireland, despite never officially jumping in, clearly was pro allied. After all, every time an allied pilot went down on Irish soil, they were back over the border within hours, while German pilots were interned.

You also had a massive number of Irish citizens who fought on the Allied side.

They were pro-Naz. Deal with it.

Republican Ireland: Anti-British, or just plain pro-Nazi? - Mail Online - Nigel Jones's blog

The NI parliament doesnt use FPTP but yes i take your point on both counts. I´m sure some will change their minds (particularly the young who are less sectarian then their parents due to school integration etc) but then again

1 Those wishing to escape the economic situation can simply claim Irish passports (to which everyone on either side of the border is entitled) and leave

2 Much of the population would have a more stubborn approach given the bloody civil war they fought and all.

Generally speaking I wouldn´t be to bothered if the UK spilt up, border controls etc. could be cumbersome but there are many small countries that seem to be doing ok in the world. Not to mention that NI Scotland and Wales all have a huge problem with aging populations so i cant imagine immigration being a problem.

Well your first point is indeed true, they running out of forms for the applications apparently.

The Catholic (republican) minority must have been breeding like Muslims are supposed to!

Nah, they just pissed off more people and that near 10% Irish GDP growth is rather attractive.

And then there's the thing about the number of Northern Ireland men that fought for the UK during two world wars.
In the second one, you may remember, the Irish Republic ws full of Nazi sympathizers
and they refused both the Brits and the Americans use of their airfields and ports to protect the convoys from America.

The IRA supported the Nazis in WW2

The USA has a lot of citizens whose ancestors came from Ireland (Over 10 % of the population according to the 2000 census.)

I doubt that anyone will be able to gin up much anti-Irish sentiment in the USA.

The USA helped the USSR a lot in WWII.

Sometimes the enemy of your enemy is your friend.

:lol:

Last edited:
I assume Scotland will not be part of the U.K. much longer...but I thought that before all the Brexit stuff.

Will they call it Scexit? Scoxit?

Every good referendum has to have a cool name.

I thought 'Brexit' was a pretty good name.

I'm down with Scotchit.

This could happen.

I don't think Ireland has ever been our largest immigrant population.

Germany, the UK (as a whole) and Italy dominated for a long time.

Mexico sends more by FAR than anyone else these days...with China a far-back second.

Frank, this is a thread about the UK (as long as it lasts until Scotland leaves) and we have always had a huge number of Irish immigration. The numbers now of yearly immigrants from Poland or India outnumber Irish yearly immigrants but 1 in 6 British citizens have one Irish grandparent.

Fair is fair. I bet those same crowds that cheered when the UK "took its sovereignty back" will be cheering as they see the country disintegrate.

Frank, this is a thread about the UK (as long as it lasts until Scotland leaves) and we have always had a huge number of Irish immigration. The numbers now of yearly immigrants from Poland or India outnumber Irish yearly immigrants but 1 in 6 British citizens have one Irish grandparent.

Ouch!

My apologies. You are right...I was dead wrong, IC.

I read the "...OUR largest immigration..." as though coming from someone here in the US.

My serious bad.

Thought it was 1 in 5 that had Irish roots in the UK?`

And the biggest non British population is Indian, closely followed by Poles, then Pakistan and then Ireland and Germany. But lets be fair here to the Poles.. they historically have been one of the top largest non British populations in the UK going back a long time. There was over 150k in the 1951 census..

Thought it was 1 in 5 that had Irish roots in the UK? ~

The source I had was from 2006, things may have changed since or before depending on when your information comes from.

If Northern Ireland joins the Irish Republic, where do women in Northern Ireland get birth control? Or an abortion?

I think that Eire is going to have to step up into the the modern ear if they want a union to stick.

Back
Top Bottom