• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Bread and Circuses

Bread and Circuses,

I imagine it was the Roman empire who first coined the phrase "Democracy only works until the people realize they can vote themselves bread and circuses". Though I don't doubt the validity of the statement I do questions its accuracy. When the voting masses realize they can vote themselves favors is when Democracy is at its height in popularity, it is when they realize that someone else has voted against bread in favor of a bigger circus that it falls apart.

The people then begin to choose sides you have the "bread party" and the "circus party" each one growing in popularity and power simply to deprive the other guys of what they most desire in pursuit of what thy feel is important. As time goes on speeches and rallies focus on the "morale supremacy" of each argument until you MUST choose bread or circuses to be a part of any changes in the order of things.

As government stop doing what is good for the nation and starts to whats goods in the eyes of the voting majority, the struggle continues and power sways back and forth until no one actually has bread or circuses. This is were blame comes in and people are no longer choosing for what they want and start to simply oppose the other side simply because its their fault we can afford anything anymore without ever realizing it was the selfish stupidity and gluttony of insisting on choosing sides that is the cause of it all.

Now throw in religious, racial, and sexual difference etc. subtract any sense of morality, obligation of duty, and any "REAL" sense of heritage and what do you get? 21st century America.

So the truth of it all is that democracy only works...until the people realize someone else can vote against your bread or circuses....and win!

But then America isn't really a Democracy is it? Its a Republic, we vote for people who feel (and count on the fact) that we are too stupid to run the country. Well, unfortunately in some cases they are probably right. I balance my budget but that doesn't mean I know the first thing on national fiscal matters, the problem is we continue to buy into those who cater to our greed and ignorance instead of those who who tell us what we need to know to learn how to better be a nation.

Actually, the United States is a democratic republic.

A republic is any government system that is non-monarchical in nature. Any system that does not pass political power through hereditary methods is considered a republic.

Therefore, military dictatorships and anarchic societies are just as much republics as democracies are.

It's just that the specific model that the United States uses for it's republican model is democratic in nature in order to elect representatives. So the U.S. is a democratic republic.

Just thought I would make that correction.

samsmart;bt1070 said:
Actually, the United States is a democratic republic.

A republic is any government system that is non-monarchical in nature. Any system that does not pass political power through hereditary methods is considered a republic.

Therefore, military dictatorships and anarchic societies are just as much republics as democracies are.

It's just that the specific model that the United States uses for it's republican model is democratic in nature in order to elect representatives. So the U.S. is a democratic republic.

Just thought I would make that correction.
I thank you for your enlightenment. Though I dont think it changes much of the meaning of what I wrote. i will reread it....and if I have to...rewrite it:peace

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.

Plato
Welcome aboard.

PMF :peace

Back
Top Bottom