• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Brazil's president-elect plans decree allowing wider gun ownership

SDET

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
This should put to rest any claims that Bolsonaro wants to be a dictator. How any dictators in history have ever allowed open firearm ownership?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ee-allowing-wider-gun-ownership-idUSKCN1OS0HN

SAO PAULO (Reuters) - Brazil’s far-right President-elect Jair Bolsonaro said on Saturday he plans to issue a decree allowing all Brazilians without criminal records to own firearms, welcome news to many core supporters who want him to loosen Brazil’s strict gun laws.

This should put to rest any claims that Bolsonaro wants to be a dictator. How any dictators in history have ever allowed open firearm ownership?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ee-allowing-wider-gun-ownership-idUSKCN1OS0HN

Isn't this the same guy that wants to use drones to kill those carrying guns?

https://www.bloombergquint.com/law-...policing-to-get-a-trial-run-in-rio-de-janeiro
“The protocol will be to immediately neutralize, slaughter anyone who has a rifle,” Witzel, a federal judge and former Brazilian marine, told reporters in Brasilia on Dec. 12. “Whoever has a rifle isn’t worried about other people’s lives, they’re ready to eliminate anyone who crosses their path. This is a grave problem, not just in Rio de Janeiro, but also in other states.”

Rio has long exemplified Brazil’s charm and its chaos, and what happens there echoes at home and abroad. Like President-elect Jair Bolsonaro, Witzel cruised to victory in October promising a brutal crackdown on criminals who make daily life a harrowing ordeal. Rio will be a proving ground for Bolsonaro’s philosophy of maximum force

Last edited:

https://www.bloombergquint.com/law-...policing-to-get-a-trial-run-in-rio-de-janeiro
“The protocol will be to immediately neutralize, slaughter anyone who has a rifle,” Witzel, a federal judge and former Brazilian marine, told reporters in Brasilia on Dec. 12. “Whoever has a rifle isn’t worried about other people’s lives, they’re ready to eliminate anyone who crosses their path. This is a grave problem, not just in Rio de Janeiro, but also in other states.”

Rio has long exemplified Brazil’s charm and its chaos, and what happens there echoes at home and abroad. Like President-elect Jair Bolsonaro, Witzel cruised to victory in October promising a brutal crackdown on criminals who make daily life a harrowing ordeal. Rio will be a proving ground for Bolsonaro’s philosophy of maximum force

People illegally armed with assault rifles.

People illegally armed with assault rifles.

When you mean when say assault rifles? Do you mean the semiautomatic rifles that left fraudulently tries to call assault rifles with terms like assault weapon, assault style rifle or just flat out calls them assault rifles? Or do you mean actual assault rifles which would be magazine fed select fire automatic rifles that fire an intermediate size cartridge? No semiautomatic firearm is assault rifle. Even if you do mean the correct definition how do the police know just by looking? Do they zoom in with their scope really good and see if the selector switch can go from safe to semi to auto/burst? Because many semiautomatic rifles look like automatic rifles and many automatic rifles look like semiautomatic rifles.

I wish that our police here in the States could use armed drones that would just wound the bad guy until medical personnel could reach him/her.

If the bad guys saw those drones above, they might think twice before committing the horrible and violent crimes that occur in our country.

When you mean when say assault rifles? Do you mean the semiautomatic rifles that left fraudulently tries to call assault rifles with terms like assault weapon, assault style rifle or just flat out calls them assault rifles? Or do you mean actual assault rifles which would be magazine fed select fire automatic rifles that fire an intermediate size cartridge? No semiautomatic firearm is assault rifle. Even if you do mean the correct definition how do the police know just by looking? Do they zoom in with their scope really good and see if the selector switch can go from safe to semi to auto/burst? Because many semiautomatic rifles look like automatic rifles and many automatic rifles look like semiautomatic rifles.

I dunno what the state of the debate over semi automatic rifles is in Brazil, but if people are walking around with loaded rifles in the favelas of Rio de Janiero I don’t think they’re just law abiding NRA members exercising their rights...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish that our police here in the States could use armed drones that would just wound the bad guy until medical personnel could reach him/her.

If the bad guys saw those drones above, they might think twice before committing the horrible and violent crimes that occur in our country.

Not if they figured the drones would only wound them. They would probably shoot the drones down or find a way to disable them.

I dunno what the state of the debate over semi automatic rifles is in Brazil, but if people are walking around with loaded rifles in the favelas of Rio de Janiero I don’t think they’re just law abiding NRA members exercising their rights...

I am just pointing out that the previously Brazil's president will have anyone with a rifle shot and now he says he will allow Brazilians to have guns to defend themselves with.

So just shoot them dead in extrajudicial killings? Libertarians should be horrified by Bolsonaro.

So just shoot them dead in extrajudicial killings? Libertarians should be horrified by Bolsonaro.

I am not familiar with the specifics of deadly force law in Brazil. It appears he believes that the law can consider an armed criminal gang member with an illegal weapon to be a deadly force threat. Brazil is a sovereign country with courts and states attorneys etc so any problems there will have to be answered in those venues

I am not familiar with the specifics of deadly force law in Brazil. It appears he believes that the law can consider an armed criminal gang member with an illegal weapon to be a deadly force threat. Brazil is a sovereign country with courts and states attorneys etc so any problems there will have to be answered in those venues

So as a libertarian you have no concerns over the state carrying out extrajudicial killings?? You think Bolsonaro would think twice before having political opponents killed? This is the guy who is a huge fan of Brazil's former dictatorship and said the main mistake that dictatorship made was that it didn't kill enough citizens.

Think about that: his main gripe with Brazil's former dictatorship was that it didn't kill enough people.

They would probably shoot the drones down or find a way to disable them.

I don't think so.

Bad guys are not very intelligent. That's why they are bad guys/gals.

Drones no doubt are a million times smarter than any of those bad guys.

Thankfully.

I don't think so.

Bad guys are not very intelligent. That's why they are bad guys/gals.

Drones no doubt are a million times smarter than any of those bad guys.

Thankfully.

Sure some aren't but a lot are. If they were stupid then there would be no such thing as identity theft, pyramid schemes, and other such crimes that do require some intelligence to commit.

So as a libertarian you have no concerns over the state carrying out extrajudicial killings?? You think Bolsonaro would think twice before having political opponents killed? This is the guy who is a huge fan of Brazil's former dictatorship and said the main mistake that dictatorship made was that it didn't kill enough citizens.

Think about that: his main gripe with Brazil's former dictatorship was that it didn't kill enough people.

It depends, if Brazilian law recognizes illegally armed people working for criminal cartels as a deadly force threat that can be stopped we’re not talking extrajudicial killings are we?

It depends, if Brazilian law recognizes illegally armed people working for criminal cartels as a deadly force threat that can be stopped we’re not talking extrajudicial killings are we?

Yes we are. extrajudicial killing means the state killing people without them receiving any due process. i.e. the police going round the streets killing people they believe to be criminals, like Bolsonaro supports. You really should change your lean from libertarian.

Lethal force is lethal force. You can't just "wound" soneone with a lethal weapon.

Back
Top Bottom