• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Brazil's Bolsonaro follows through on gun, 'anti-Marxist' vows

SDET

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
I really like the 75% approval rating. It's so impressive when the left is defeated decisively. Brazil has several right wing parties, so there is no danger of a one party state.

https://news.yahoo.com/brazils-bolsonaro-follows-gun-anti-marxist-vows-193827024.html

On his Twitter account -- his preferred communication channel along with his Facebook page -- the former paratrooper has announced he will issue a decree immediately easing gun laws, and will work to "fight the Marxist trash" he believes is being taught in classrooms.

Forging on, Bolsonaro on Monday tweeted that he was going to direct the education ministry to "fight the Marxist trash that has been installed in teaching institutions" and lift Brazil's poor educational standards.

He and members of his incoming government, notably his new foreign minister, Ernesto Araujo, use the word "Marxist" to refer to the Workers Party and other left-wing groups.

Nearly a third of the 22 ministerial posts have gone to ex-military men, while the economy has been handed to a US-trained free-market advocate, Paulo Guedes, and justice to a star anti-corruption judge, Sergio Moro.

You sure you want to hold up the country that's about to just start murdering their political opponents as a prime example of conservatism because

You sure you want to hold up the country that's about to just start murdering their political opponents as a prime example of conservatism because

For starters, your premise is an exaggeration or worse. Once people see Brazil become an economic powerhouse and an enjoyable and safe place to be, the Brazilian right will become a historic success story.

For starters, your premise is an exaggeration or worse. Once people see Brazil become an economic powerhouse and an enjoyable and safe place to be, the Brazilian right will become a historic success story.

You're the one who posted the thread about them summarily executing people "with rifles."

You're the one who posted the thread about them summarily executing people "with rifles."

It's a stretch to define gangs/drug cartels with rifles as "political opponents".

:lamo

You mean as successful as it has been in the past?

It's a stretch to define gangs/drug cartels with rifles as "political opponents".

If you think this will target only "bad guys," I have a bridge to sell you. On Mars.

But hey, tell us more about how you think "shoot people with guns you don't approve of" is a core conservative platform.

I really like the 75% approval rating. It's so impressive when the left is defeated decisively. Brazil has several right wing parties, so there is no danger of a one party state.

roflmao.gif

Bolsonaro is bad. Bad things will happen.

That's the simple version.

According to what I've read, violent crime in Brazil is un-be-liev-a-ble.

If President Bolsonaro's policies can reduce that crime, the Brazilian people will applaud him.

We should mind our own business and concentrate on reducing violent crime here in the States.

It is but there are reasons for this and arming people or putting out death squads aint gonna solve it. In fact it will make it worse.

Brazil is economic powerhouse where a huge majority of the population has seen very little. Instead it is people like the new President that have exploited the situation on all levels.

Sent from my Honor 8X using Tapatalk

If President Bolsonaro's policies can reduce that crime, the Brazilian people will applaud him.

We should mind our own business and concentrate on reducing violent crime here in the States.

You understand we are talking literal fascism here right

That is total nonsense, as soon as the economy starts tanking (and it will, it always will, that is the nature of the economy) the voters will start flocking to the other side and like in the past the Brazilian right will be what it has been historically, death squads, political killings, violence and death. History has a history of repeating itself so to speak.

I hope that I am wrong and that the violence from the right will not happen but I am not holding my breath for that. But as to your assertion that it will become a historic success, that is nonsense. They have little or no real impact on the economy of that country, because usually the success of the rich becomes at the expense of the rest of the population and will be tolerated to some extent but when "the voters" realize that "the Brazilian Right" is only there for the rich, the military and the arch conservatives they will turn on him. Because being poor, political violence, death squads in the streets, violence and oppression do not make for a safe and enjoyable place to live.

You understand we are talking literal fascism here right

Let's not quibble over words such as "fascism."

After all, those ANTIFA thugs also claim to be fighting "fascism."

If a hoodlum in Brazil pulls a gun on you, and you can "terminate" him before he (or she!) terminates you or your family, why is that "fascism"?

It's just good old self-defense.

Yep even in other countries if right-wing fascism are sticking it to the left, the American right wing cheers.

The conservatives in the US are dangerous people.

Let's not quibble over words such as "fascism."

After all, those ANTIFA thugs also claim to be fighting "fascism."

If a hoodlum in Brazil pulls a gun on you, and you can "terminate" him before he (or she!) terminates you or your family, why is that "fascism"?

It's just good old self-defense.

No, this is a law where the police can just kick your door down and execute you on the spot because there’s a rifle in your closet. This will primarily occur to people critical of the new fascist government.

Yep even in other countries if right-wing fascism are sticking it to the left, the American right wing cheers.

The conservatives in the US are dangerous people.

They’re utterly deranged fascists.

:lamo

You mean as successful as it has been in the past?

Honestly, depending on one's views/interpretation, the Brazilian right historically has been successful. I think SDET sees them as a success.

He's already handing control over hitherto protected native lands to farming interests. There goes the rain forest!

Honestly, depending on one's views/interpretation, the Brazilian right historically has been successful. I think SDET sees them as a success.

That depends on your measure of success and how much you sacrifice to achieve it.

That depends on your measure of success and how much you sacrifice to achieve it.

Agreed. But I think folks like SDET are willing to sacrifice a lot of people on that altar.

I have been to Brasil.
I have friends in and from Brasil.
Brasil is the political poster child for corrupt politics.
Been that way for decades.
Not going to change - it never does.

This time is different. There is a cultural change that sees the damage done by the "jeitinho Brasileiro" and "coitadismo".

Last edited:
This time is different. There is a cultural change that sees the damage done by the "jeitinho Brasileiro" and "coitadismo".

Nope. Not happening.
Some dinner research will show how bad Brasil really is.
Ignorant wishful thinking is not relevant, and won't help.

Back
Top Bottom