• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Brazil Seems To Be In Turmoil

[FONT="][URL="https://wattsupwiththat.com/2020/06/24/claim-demand-for-vegan-soy-driving-climate-change-brazilian-habitat-destruction/"]
Argentina-Soya-Soy-Bean-Field.jpg
[/URL][/FONT]

[h=1]Study: Demand for Vegan Soy Driving Climate Change, Brazilian Habitat Destruction[/h][FONT="][FONT=inherit]Trendy vegan high tech latte sipping eco-warriors are running up a rap sheet of climate crimes.[/FONT]
[FONT=inherit][URL="https://wattsupwiththat.com/2020/06/24/claim-demand-for-vegan-soy-driving-climate-change-brazilian-habitat-destruction/"]Continue reading →[/URL][/FONT]
[/FONT]
Lol you must believe the soyboy myth.

I saw that, damn they must have great power in the judicial branch.

I’m old enough to remember when we had three co-equal branches.........

Not according to the research.

Yes according to the research and reporting. Thanks for playing. Btw, soy products have no effect on the hormonal levels of humans.

I didn’t realize the size of Brazil’s population, 200+ million, about 2/3 of the US.

67% of Brazilians are infected with Toxoplasma gondii which affects both behavior and culture in the form of adverse risk taking.

Can't blame Trump for that.

67% of Brazilians are infected with Toxoplasma gondii which affects both behavior and culture in the form of adverse risk taking.

Can't blame Trump for that.

What a line of malarkey....

Toxoplasmosis is an infection caused by a single-celled parasite called Toxoplasma gondii. While the parasite is found throughout the world, more than 40 million people in the United States may be infected with the Toxoplasma parasite. The Toxoplasma parasite can persist for long periods of time in the bodies of humans (and other animals), possibly even for a lifetime. Of those who are infected however, very few have symptoms because a healthy person’s immune system usually keeps the parasite from causing illness.
CDC: Parasites - Toxoplasmosis

The study focuses on the impacts of soy demand in deforestation and the carbon emission footprint, but it would be interesting to see a more recent comparison between soy and the other drivers of deforestation. The scary thing is the demand for all products that drive deforestation is increasing and the current Brazilian leader puts profit before preservation of the Amazonian forests; including the elimination of the rights of indigenous groups (and their land) which were legally protected. Industrialized nations in the west and east benefit from the repurposing of Amazonian land.

The study focuses on the impacts of soy demand in deforestation and the carbon emission footprint, but it would be interesting to see a more recent comparison between soy and the other drivers of deforestation. The scary thing is the demand for all products that drive deforestation is increasing and the current Brazilian leader puts profit before preservation of the Amazonian forests; including the elimination of the rights of indigenous groups (and their land) which were legally protected. Industrialized nations in the west and east benefit from the repurposing of Amazonian land.

The research was published in May 2020. You're not going to get a more recent study.

The research was published in May 2020. You're not going to get a more recent study.

I was referring to the one I cited which listed the 4 main drivers of deforestation of the Amazon. There would at least be some hope if Brazil had a government interested in a sustainable method using land for their agricultural demands, but that sadly isn't the case. This is more of the "slash and burn" approach with little regard for the future or the consequences of deforestation. The worst part is small farmers don't really benefit either since it's large agricultural companies that are the beneficiaries.

I was referring to the one I cited which listed the 4 main drivers of deforestation of the Amazon. There would at least be some hope if Brazil had a government interested in a sustainable method using land for their agricultural demands, but that sadly isn't the case. This is more of the "slash and burn" approach with little regard for the future or the consequences of deforestation. The worst part is small farmers don't really benefit either since it's large agricultural companies that are the beneficiaries.

Sorry, but the Union of Concerned Scientists is more about advocacy than science.

Sorry, but the Union of Concerned Scientists is more about advocacy than science.

Be that as it may, that doesn't necessarily mean their information on the drivers is incorrect. Do you have data which disproves their claim?

It doesn't compare soy against the other drivers of deforestation though. Soy is certainly one of them, but deforestation due to cattle, timber, and mining are up there as well.

Maybe so. Seems to me the decision whether to keep or reduce Brazilian forests is for Brazilians to make.

Maybe so. Seems to me the decision whether to keep or reduce Brazilian forests is for Brazilians to make.

Probably a more accurate statement is "the decision whether to keep or reduce Brazilian forests is for Brazilian Big Agra to make"

:)

Probably a more accurate statement is "the decision whether to keep or reduce Brazilian forests is for Brazilian Big Agra to make"

:)

Not a problem. How they organize their business sector is also for them to decide.

Back
Top Bottom