• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Brazil Looks to Break from US-Centric Internet.....

MMC

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Private
Brazil plans to divorce itself from the U.S.-centric Internet over Washington's widespread online spying, a move that many experts fear will be a potentially dangerous first step toward fracturing a global network built with minimal interference by governments.

President Dilma Rousseff ordered a series of measures aimed at greater Brazilian online independence and security following revelations that the U.S. National Security Agency intercepted her communications, hacked into the state-owned Petrobras oil company's network and spied on Brazilians who entrusted their personal data to U.S. tech companies such as Facebook and Google.

1f38ccc247ff971f3d0f6a706700468a.jpg

The leader is so angered by the espionage that on Tuesday she postponed next month's scheduled trip to Washington, where she was to be honored with a state dinner.

Brazil looks to break from US-centric Internet
Associated Press – 6 hrs ago

Well it has begun.....All from what has come from the Snowden debauchle. Now Countries are starting to take matters into their own hands with the Snooping. This could lead to some severe problems for not only us. But others too. Especially those in countries where there is more Authoritarian Rule. What else do we see taking place with this sort of stuff? Thoughts upon the matter?

I don't really blame President Rousseff for being angry. Spying on another government or even a private company is tantamount to espionage.

I don't really blame President Rousseff for being angry. Spying on another government or even a private company is tantamount to espionage.

Heya Moot.
hat.gif
She was pist. Then immediately cancelled the trip to the US. Truly I don't like seeing what going on in our backyard so to speak. Things like this push more of them towards the Likes of Russia with even more influence then what they have already.

Plus now they are starting to talk Balkanization.

Here is some more on it.....which I am sure others are picking up the same set of thoughts and looking to use their own Satellites and communications tech.

Brazil tries to elude NSA with new cables, satellite.....

Can any government escape the prying eyes of the U.S. National Security Agency? Brazil is going to try.

Angered by recent revelations that the United States spied on its emails and phone calls and even its president, Brazil's government is speeding up efforts to improve the security of its communications - and hopefully keep more of its secrets under wraps.

By purchasing a new satellite, pushing bureaucrats in Brasilia to use secure email platforms and even building its own fiber-optic cable to communicate with governments in neighboring countries, Brazil hopes to at least reduce the amount of information available to foreign spies.

Brazilian officials also admit they face the same problems as many other countries upset by the recent NSA disclosures. That is, building new technology is expensive and difficult, and even then there is no guarantee of fully dodging the sophisticated dragnet employed by the U.S. government.

Nonetheless, Brazil is particularly motivated to act.....snip~

Brazil tries to elude NSA with new cables, satellite

Heya Moot.
hat.gif
She was pist. Then immediately cancelled the trip to the US. Truly I don't like seeing what going on in our backyard so to speak. Things like this push more of them towards the Likes of Russia with even more influence then what they have already.

Plus now they are starting to talk Balkanization.

Hi MMC.

Unfortunately, Russia is starting to look like the only adult in the room. eek.

The US and Brazil have some trade issues and most of it seems to stem from tariffs and the subdizing of US farmers and energy markets ...which is a violation of the NAFTA agreement. So Brazil protested to the WTO and instead of stopping the subsidies like say, for cotton farmers...the US negotiated to subsidize Brazil's cotton farmers, too. Is that crazy or what?

Anyway, the point is Brazil has a lot of reasons to be mad at the US and this spying thing doesn't help.

Hi MMC.

Unfortunately, Russia is starting to look like the only adult in the room. eek.

The US and Brazil have some trade issues and most of it seems to stem from tariffs and the subdizing of US farmers and energy markets ...which is a violation of the NAFTA agreement. So Brazil protested to the WTO and instead of stopping the subsidies like say, for cotton farmers...the US negotiated to subsidize Brazil's cotton farmers, too. Is that crazy or what?

Anyway, the point is Brazil has a lot of reasons to be mad at the US and this spying thing doesn't help.

Not to mention.....if they show the rest out there that they can limit our surveillance. Just think what others will do. Especially those in the ME who aren't our friends but say they are.

If Obama was smart, he would pardon Snowden, admit we did the wrong thing and stop doing it. Just like that. The world could breathe a sigh of relief and we could respect Obama for manning up instead of continuing the game of sneaky pete and the weekly revelations.

Cutting off Brazil from the internet would only serve to hurt Brazilians and some weird perverts.

If Obama was smart, he would pardon Snowden, admit we did the wrong thing and stop doing it. Just like that. The world could breathe a sigh of relief and we could respect Obama for manning up instead of continuing the game of sneaky pete and the weekly revelations.

Heya SB :2wave: I would disagree. Pardon Snowden? Snowden is a traitor to the US.....he even admitted he doesn't understand all that he took. Placing the US National Security that has the possibility to even affect our Physical Security. Is an act that cannot be tolerated.

Obama needs to do the Right thing. That would be making sure Snowden was either tried and shot. Or he needs to Crack the Whip!

i don't think its that simple for the governmnet to stop doing what the nsa does.

besides i think snowden should have just released everything he had at once, not hold on to anything for future release. it would lessen the suspicion that he is giving information away to foreign countries.

in my oppinion snowden's actions are more like that of klaus fuchs.

How in the **** did I wind up agreeing with you on something besides the Bears?
Heya SB :2wave: I would disagree. Pardon Snowden? Snowden is a traitor to the US.....he even admitted he doesn't understand all that he took. Placing the US National Security that has the possibility to even affect our Physical Security. Is an act that cannot be tolerated.

Obama needs to do the Right thing. That would be making sure Snowden was either tried and shot. Or he needs to Crack the Whip!

i don't think its that simple for the governmnet to stop doing what the nsa does.

besides i think snowden should have just released everything he had at once, not hold on to anything for future release. it would lessen the suspicion that he is giving information away to foreign countries.

in my oppinion snowden's actions are more like that of klaus fuchs.

No matter how you feel about Snowden, the genie is already out of the bottle. Is revenge that important that we make ourselves be asses because we were committing crimes and somebody told on us? If he had gotten money for this, I'd hunt him down myself (my cats are mighty hunters) but all he did was give up his life to do - what to him - was the right thing. Maybe ill advised but sincerity counts for something IMHO.

If we can't manage without spying on the world, then this will indeed begin an alienation between us and everybody else. Can it be worth it? How do other countries manage without spying on every other country? Maybe it's time to back off instead of creating new enemies every year. Who knows? With fewer enemies we wouldn't miss James Bond at all.

Just postulating. No facts were harmed in the making of this statement.

Seems a bit harsh to do to an American citizen what the US wouldn't do to foreign spys caught spying on the US government. Some of the spys caught worked for the Israelis and none of them got the death penalty. Some only had to pay a fine.

All good things come to an end and when the US decided to use it's seat of power to store every last interaction that happens on the Internet around the world they stepped way over the line. The us government seems to have this idiotic idea that what happens on the Internet is their business, but here is thing, it's not. It actually even worse though because the US government forcing online companies like Google and Facebook into giving them whatever the hell they want anything they ask for it and on top of all of that the US government is sitting around hacking communication networks of countries all around the world. If you ask me all of this **** is a grounds for war, not simply disconnecting yourself from the US-centric Internet. How in the hell is this not considered an attack on the citizens and countries of the world?

Seems a bit harsh to do to an American citizen what the US wouldn't do to foreign spys caught spying on the US government. Some of the spys caught worked for the Israelis and none of them got the death penalty. Some only had to pay a fine.

Well with foreign Spies exchanges can be made. Sometimes a statement has to be made. As thru Snowden's own Admissions. While he may not have known all that he was into. He did admit to deliberately acting with the intention of gathering sensitive material.

Back
Top Bottom