• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Bratwurst - to Beer, or not to Beer?

Dragonfly

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Getting into Brats... some "purists" say to just go straight to grill.
"Beer is meant for drinking - not cooking."

Others say to "pre-cook" or simmer in beer with some butter and onions (maybe garlic too), then go to grill.

If you're a "simmer in beer" believer, what beer you using?

I heard IPA's get way to bitter when used in cooking.

Thoughts?

Beer is meant for my belly and my belly alone. If you placed two brats in front of me, one cooked with beer and one without, I probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Just one man's opinion.

Others say to "pre-cook" or simmer in beer with some butter and onions (maybe garlic too), then go to grill.

Thoughts?

My oldest always simmers her's in beer before grilling.

Always use cheap beer. Save the good stuff for drinking.

My wife is german, she used to use beer, which she can't stand the taste of as a drink.

Now she uses one of her Wood chuck hard ciders, which are very sweet.

I like my venision hot brats, she is more a Johnsonville girl. I can tell the difference between cider vs nothing.

With the venison brats I like plain and slow cooked, her store bought ones in cider and grilled on a higher flame.

Back in the early 70's German train stations had 'fast food' wagons on the platform where you got sliced up brat in a paper cone with a squirt of curry ketchup on the flap. That and a cone of pomme frites and a young soldier was eating dinner on his way to party in Sachsenhausen, just south of Frankfurt.

Since then hotdogs just don't do it, taste like bland bologna, as if bologna can be any blander.... ;)

There is or used to be a joint very close the the Milwaukee airport and I think it was called The Bratwurst House or Brawt House. It was a beer joint that served burgers and brawts only if I recall. They put more gilled onions on your brat or burger than anywhere in America. I was lucky enough to go there twice during my work travels. It is a cliental of repeats or people addicted to that place. It was shoulder to shoul.der with very little talking and alot of eating. Great memory.

Im a big fan of German Curry ketchup so I tend to smother my brats in that.

Thoughts?

I'd use a scotch ale if I were going to use beer when cooking something savory. They're malty/low bitterness.

Beer or not to beer - that's the question..... damn thread hijackers....;)

I don't have any experience cooking brats, but I would guess that cooking them in beer would wash out some of the fat, and "fat is flavor". The only advantage I see in cooking them in beer is to give them some beer flavor, a goal that could be more easily accomplished by drinking the beer which would also have the benefit of getting you drunk.

I don't beer me brats. I prefer them cooked in an oven slowly.

I don't beer me brats. I prefer them cooked in an oven slowly.

OVEN?????

221894443_129067568931684451_answer_1_xlarge.jpeg

Im a big fan of German Curry ketchup so I tend to smother my brats in that.

Being of german descent and a curry freak i have never heard of that so now I must go on line in search of the holy gail called german curry ketchup!!!!

My wife is german, she used to use beer, which she can't stand the taste of as a drink.

Now she uses one of her Wood chuck hard ciders, which are very sweet.

I like my venision hot brats, she is more a Johnsonville girl. I can tell the difference between cider vs nothing.

With the venison brats I like plain and slow cooked, her store bought ones in cider and grilled on a higher flame.

Back in the early 70's German train stations had 'fast food' wagons on the platform where you got sliced up brat in a paper cone with a squirt of curry ketchup on the flap. That and a cone of pomme frites and a young soldier was eating dinner on his way to party in Sachsenhausen, just south of Frankfurt.

Since then hotdogs just don't do it, taste like bland bologna, as if bologna can be any blander.... ;)

I'm married to a kraut too. German women are the best! ;)

I lived on that meal while I was stationed there (Blackhorse in Neu Ulm). So good! Then for dessert they had those vending machines on the street that for a Mark you could get rum filled chocolates and the machine would actually say, "danke schoen, bitte schoen, auf wiedersehen".

Beer on brats is definitely wasted. I make mine on the grill - like every other respectable man. I also put a light rub on them that contains cracked pepper and Italian spices.

I consider myself an amateur griller/barbecue guy. I have rubs for everything.

Feel free to open up jokes on the last statement at will.

Thoughts?

Not beer; also not here. Germany has a brat that's like none other. Snaps and is uber tasty without soaking it in anything. Just cook it.

That crap Johnsonville sells? Soak it in anything you wish, but do not put it in your mouth, IMHO. :)

I lived on that meal while I was stationed there (Blackhorse in Neu Ulm). So good! Then for dessert they had those vending machines on the street that for a Mark you could get rum filled chocolates and the machine would actually say, "danke schoen, bitte schoen, auf wiedersehen".

3/36 Inf, 1st Bde, 3AD, Kirch Goens- rode in the old 113's.

I am not a huge fan of curry as the featured flavor. Tones of it I can tolerate, but it doesn't rest well on my tongue if it is the dominant spice.

Back in the day- 'rade squirted a blob of ketchup on the paper and then used a sprinkler for the curry, stuck a big toothpick in the brat slices and away you went. I'm not a curry fan but love curry ketchup. Heinz sold squeeze bottle curry ketchup in the grocery stores in Bochum Germany last time I visited an old shooting buddy.

Back in the day- 'rade squirted a blob of ketchup on the paper and then used a sprinkler for the curry, stuck a big toothpick in the brat slices and away you went. I'm not a curry fan but love curry ketchup. Heinz sold squeeze bottle curry ketchup in the grocery stores in Bochum Germany last time I visited an old shooting buddy.

Yeah I am not a fan of Heinz ketchup either.

Then you are up that creek some mention from time to time without a paddle... ;)

Yep. I think Heinz puts too much vinegar in their condiments. It ends up being the flavor I taste the most on anything with Heinz products on it.

Yep. I think Heinz puts too much vinegar in their condiments. It ends up being the flavor I taste the most on anything with Heinz products on it.

Hence the liberal use of curry... :lol:

Vinegar is one of those love it or not sort of flavors. there are folks down in the Carolinas who only use vinegar and pepper when they do smoked meats- not sure I can call it BBQ but they do.

Course a cop friend just outside Philly almost lost it when I suggested diced jalapenos as part of the basting slime for ribs. Gawd forbid we use cilantro, epazote, ancho chilis in the basting sauce. :doh

Back
Top Bottom