• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Bradley Manning convicted of espionage

Mike.Redd

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
After 3 years, Bradley Manning was acquitted for releasing classified files to the press. The whole article is below. It is interesting take on what can happen to whistle blowers. I understand public safety issue of the case and the rights of an employer with confidential files. Both sides are interesting.

The Article-

More than three years after U.S. Army Pfc. Bradley Manning was arrested for giving classified secrets to WikiLeaks, a military judge acquitted the former intelligence analyst Tuesday of aiding the enemy but convicted him of espionage, theft and computer fraud charges.

The judge, Army Col. Denise Lind, deliberated for about 16 hours over three days before reaching her decision in a case that drew worldwide attention as supporters hailed Manning as a whistleblower. The U.S. government called him an anarchist computer hacker and attention-seeking traitor.

Manning stood and faced the judge as she read the decision. She didn’t explain her verdict, but said she would release detailed written findings. She didn’t say when she would do that.

The charge of aiding the enemy was the most serious of 21 counts Manning faced and carried a potential life sentence. His sentencing hearing on the convictions begins Wednesday. He faces up to 128 years in prison.

To see the Full Article:
Bradley Manning convicted of espionage

Last edited:
After 3 years, Bradley Manning was acquitted for releasing classified files to the press.

No he wasn't.

He was acquitted of aiding the enemy.

He was found guilty of espionage, theft, and computer fraud for the process of releasing those classified files to the press.

He's still liekly spending the rest of his life in federal pound me in the ass prison.

No he wasn't.

He was acquitted of aiding the enemy.

He was found guilty of espionage, theft, and computer fraud for the process of releasing those classified files to the press.

He's still liekly spending the rest of his life in federal pound me in the ass prison.

Actually, your are right and wrong. He was found innocent of aiding the enemy. He was found guilty of a separate charge regarding giving classified info to the press. You may not be aiding the enemy by doing it, but part of the requirement you have for having access to classified files is that you do things like keep them classified which giving them to the press is not doing. Hence why there are two statutes with two different things, and he was convicted of the latter.

I am pretty sure he was tried in a military court martial which I am pretty sure means he goes to a military prison and not the same type of facility a federal civilian criminal would go to. I could be wrong on that one, they may put military convicts into federal prisons. Also, federal prison for white collar low security risks is not pound you in the ass prison. I do not know how he would be classified for that.

Actually, your are right and wrong. He was found innocent of aiding the enemy. He was found guilty of a separate charge regarding giving classified info to the press. You may not be aiding the enemy by doing it, but part of the requirement you have for having access to classified files is that you do things like keep them classified which giving them to the press is not doing. Hence why there are two statutes with two different things, and he was convicted of the latter.

I am pretty sure he was tried in a military court martial which I am pretty sure means he goes to a military prison and not the same type of facility a federal civilian criminal would go to. I could be wrong on that one, they may put military convicts into federal prisons. Also, federal prison for white collar low security risks is not pound you in the ass prison. I do not know how he would be classified for that.

he, most likely, will go to US disciplinary barracks at Ft Leavenworth. Unless he is kept in isolation, he will probably be "abused" on a regular basis. most military prisoners take a dim view of traitors and perceived traitors. the fact that he is gay will add more fuel to the fire.

he, most likely, will go to US disciplinary barracks at Ft Leavenworth. Unless he is kept in isolation, he will probably be "abused" on a regular basis. most military prisoners take a dim view of traitors and perceived traitors. the fact that he is gay will add more fuel to the fire.

I was actually thinking federal non-military prison would probably be easier for him as he could be slip into a low security population without as much fear over prisoners retaliating against him. I was just correcting the idea that he was going to a civilian prison which I was pretty sure they didn't do. I know military law and punishment is different than civilian, but I figured someone else would be better fit to explain that one.

I was actually thinking federal non-military prison would probably be easier for him as he could be slip into a low security population without as much fear over prisoners retaliating against him. I was just correcting the idea that he was going to a civilian prison which I was pretty sure they didn't do. I know military law and punishment is different than civilian, but I figured someone else would be better fit to explain that one.

yep. military guy, court martial...he's going to military prison

Back
Top Bottom