• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

BP's unexplained explosion

ricksfolly

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I can see why the administration doesn't want to bring up the subject of sabotage, they couldn't blame BP and get restitution, but the possibility is still there and will remain a mystery until they pull up the platform and examine it.

Frankly, I don't see how ordinary house gas, the same kind we use in our stoves, could do that kind of damage.

Of course the police files are filled with kitchen explosions, but only when the gas was contained and ignited, which is not the case on the wide open floating platform. At most, if ignited, t would only burn.

Sure the gas is under high pressure, but the operating valve is more than able to contain it and has done it for many years.

I can see why the administration doesn't want to bring up the subject of sabotage, they couldn't blame BP and get restitution, but the possibility is still there and will remain a mystery until they pull up the platform and examine it.

Frankly, I don't see how ordinary house gas, the same kind we use in our stoves, could do that kind of damage.

Of course the police files are filled with kitchen explosions, but only when the gas was contained and ignited, which is not the case on the wide open floating platform. At most, if ignited, t would only burn.

Sure the gas is under high pressure, but the operating valve is more than able to contain it and has done it for many years.

Look up some natural gas explosions on you tube or google.

A natural gas leak in a home can blow that home up and the surrounding homes. I recall a few taking out an entire block

CBC News - Canada - Firefighter dies battling huge fire at propane depot

no-fly zone was ordered over the area, as emergency workers feared that propane tankers parked on the site might spark further explosions, although those fears were diminishing by noon.

Natural gas and hydro were shut off to the area as a precaution.

The first explosion, which could be heard seven kilometres away, shook nearby homes and buildings, waking residents.

Robert Halman, who lives on Murray Road, said his ceiling crashed on top of him, and the doors and windows of his home blew out. Flames were everywhere, with fireballs exploding into the sky.

He escaped, but his shirt caught fire, burning his back. His forehead was covered in blood from the debris that hit him.

"I'm lucky that I got out of there alive," he said, scratches visible on his forehead.

Reports also emerged that callers trying to reach 911 at the height of the explosion were getting a busy signal, but Miller would not comment on those reports.

He also said it was too soon to investigate whether the propane facility should have been located in a residential neighbourhood, a concern many area residents have voiced. The facility was allowed under zoning laws, and regularly inspected by the province.

Shelley Carroll, Toronto's acting deputy mayor, suggested Sunday that the propane depot was in place before many of the area homes were built.

Back
Top Bottom