• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

BP says new cap has stopped flow of oil into the Gulf

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
BP says its new cap has stopped the flow of oil from its broken well for the first time since the disaster began April 20.

Finally, this nightmare is over.......

Or is it?

Discussion?

Article is here.

I hope they are right. We could use some good news from the Gulf.

Great, now all they have to do is clean up the worst oil spill in the history of the Gulf and we're home free.

Hooooooorrray!!! This makes me very, very happy.
Is this that feeling thingy abductee victims get that make them fall in love with the culprits?

Last edited:
Finally, this nightmare is over.......

Or is it?

Discussion?

Article is here.

Well it would certainly please every person who lives in any of the Gulf States to learn that the Oil spill has finally been halted.
Unfortunately this is not entirely true.
What BP have done is put a cap on the WELL and then closed all the Valves on that CAP while they test for pressure.
Now if they detect a high pressure this will indicate that the CAP is succeeding in holding the oil & gas in and preventing further spill from the WELL.
But this is not the end of the operation, they need to continue this test for a minimum of 6 Hours and a Maximum of 48 Hours, if the high pressure remains to the end of 48 Hours this will be excellent news, BUT if the pressure drops at any time within that 48 Hours it will mean that the WELL is leaking elsewhere and that will be the worst news to hear.
So cross your fingers for 48 hours, then if all is well, we may be able to begin to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Yup 48 hours of testing and hopefully everything holds. If it doesn't, there is now enough capacity on site topside to hook up and take in ALL of the flow until the relief well intercept. A consolation I know, but still better than nothin'.

If this all works we could actually survive this disaster. I was waiting for them to say that we needed to evacuate.

If this all works we could actually survive this disaster. I was waiting for them to say that we needed to evacuate.

...wasn't THAT much oil.

This is a very encouraging sign, but note that the cap is just temporary for testing purposes. BP plans to remove the cap and continue siphoning what they can after the tests are complete

Source [CNN | No oil leaking as BP begins critical pressure tests in Gulf oil well]

BP cautioned that the oil cutoff, while welcomed, won't go beyond the 48 hours. Valves will open after that to resume siphoning oil to two ships on the surface, the Q4000 and Helix Producer, as government and BP officials assess the data and decide what to do next.

"It felt very good to see no oil going into the Gulf of Mexico," Wells said in a briefing. He said company officials are "obviously very encouraged" but they are "trying to maintain a strict focus" on remembering the whole purpose of the test, which is to gather data and decide how to proceed.

"I don't want to create a false sense of excitement," he said. "We want to move forward and make the right decisions."

Certainly good news.

Will be interesting to see if this warrants a Presidential news conference in the next few days. The White House took an amount of political grief over this spill (mostly undeserved i'd say) Would suspect they would like have their name associated to the "good news" now after spending 10 weeks being linked to the bad.

(just having a passing political thought here. I'll be quiet now.....:nails)

I sure as hell hope this ****ing **** is under wraps. God-damn!!

...wasn't THAT much oil.

Right. It was just a trickle. It ruined vacation sales in Florida. It put tens of thousands out of work. Its going to cost tens of billions of dollars. :roll:

This is good news. Now, how many billion gallons of oil do we need to clean up from the gulf?

This is good news. Now, how many billion gallons of oil do we need to clean up from the gulf?

I think some enterprising engineer at BP should come up with a way to drill the surface of the Gulf. I bet he'd end up a millionaire. :mrgreen:

I think some enterprising engineer at BP should come up with a way to drill the surface of the Gulf. I bet he'd end up a millionaire. :mrgreen:

I was kinda hoping that BP's ginourmous oil slicks get caught in the gulf stream then shoot it northeast across the atlantic and on to Britian's coast.

I was kinda hoping that BP's ginourmous oil slicks get caught in the gulf stream then shoot it northeast across the atlantic and on to Britian's coast.

Why would anyone hope for that? What has Britain done to you?

Yay finally some good news crosses finger in hope of presser holding

Why would anyone hope for that? What has Britain done to you?

I can think of several whys. heres a few..

1) karma
2) It's their oil. heck it's even got their name on it. so I figure it belongs on Britain's beaches rather than mine.
3) my inner-evil-genius thought it'd be fun watching 007 try to stop ginormous oil slicks heading for the isles.

Last edited:
BP says oil has stopped leaking

BP says it has temporarily stopped oil flowing into the Gulf of Mexico from its leaking well.

It is the first time the flow has stopped since an explosion on the Deepwater Horizon rig on 20 April.

The well has been sealed with a cap as part of a test of its integrity that could last up to 48 hours.

US President Barack Obama said the development was a "positive sign" but noted that BP was still in the testing phase.

BP executive Kent Wells said the oil had been stopped at 1425 local time (1925 GMT) and he was "excited" by the progress.

"It is very good to see no oil go into the Gulf of Mexico," said Mr Wells.

BP shares rose in New York trading on Thursday after the flow was stopped, having already performed well over the day.

But BP is stressing that even if no oil escapes for 48 hours, that will not mean the flow of oil and gas has been stopped permanently.

BP chief operating officer Doug Suttles emphasised that there was no reason for "celebration" yet, particularly for those in areas already damaged by oil.

BBC News - BP says oil has stopped leaking from Gulf well

Some more positive news. :mrgreen:

However. It is temporary, but it proves whatever they are doing is starting to work. And we still have to worry about the clean up, and the many people who are suffering and will continue to suffer in the years to come. :(

:peace

Re: BP says oil has stopped leaking

BBC News - BP says oil has stopped leaking from Gulf well

Some more positive news. :mrgreen:

However. It is temporary, but it proves whatever they are doing is starting to work. And we still have to worry about the clean up, and the many people who are suffering and will continue to suffer in the years to come. :(

:peace

It's good news.

Not only is it plugged temporarily but my share price went up by almost $3.:mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom