• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

BP says new cap has stopped flow of oil into the Gulf

Re: BP says oil has stopped leaking

Yep, been a couple of people arrested in Louisiana for that already.

That bugs me as well.

People who exploit crises should be locked up for very long times.

If the well is safe to drill in 1.5 years and there is no ban on deep water drilling then its fine. The well itself had no problems it was a lack of safety issues with BP. If these issues are addressed then beginning to drill the well again is fine. Besides, they already tried other solutions that would have rendered the well incapable. These are points that also make his post incorrect.
I've heard a lot of things here at ground zero to be perfectly honest with you. One guy I was speaking with was a consultant and said he saw the first "burp" and got the F out of dodge because he knew what was next. I don't know how credible he is so just putting that right out there, but it lines up with much of the things coming out saying this was completely preventable.....including statements from independent engineers and the Transocean experts. 1.5 years is a good wait, but it's a generous speculation on my part, I think that BP will do a political climate divided by time formula to go back after that, what is distasteful are the things they have done, if they were serious they should have started the relief wells immediately since they take the longest time and should have built the cap immediately as well. However they went with the least likely to succeed scenarios first because they were quick without a backup plan. It is immensely frustrating.

This still doesn't stop the fact that his post's intentions were that BP was rigging some sort of system to continue to drill the well when in fact this is not true at all. What happens 1.5 years from now is irrelevant.
I don't think he's completely wrong, if it was a lost cause I'd agree with you but there is so much positive pressure BP would be absolutely incompetent to not try and save that gusher for later.

Last edited:

People who exploit crises should be locked up for very long times.
Absolutely, the problem is anyone who happens to be curious could be a felon. Hell, some people may just want to lend a hand.

The kids and I spent the week in NOLA. There were shortages of oysters in some of the restaurants, though others seemed to have access to some from farther west. On the way home, we stopped by Pensacola Beach, just to see what we could see. There were at least 1,000 BP employees there engaged in cleanup, and perhaps a 3rd of the beach was restricted from the public. You simply could not get close to where the BP employees are working to see how bad the damage is. Apparently, it is now a crime to set foot on the areas where the cleanup is occurring, and BP has designated those areas.

When, in the history of the U.S., have we allowed a private company to dictate those kinds of terms for cleaning up a mess they made?

The oil is clearly visible in Mobile Bay, you can see large mats of oil floating in the water. It's gross.

Pensacola has a strong odor of petroleum in and around Pensacola Bay. They are saying that the areas farther east will be closed in the next week or so.

Unbelievably, people were allowing their children to swim in the water, even though it was clearly marked as contaminated by the spill.

That's not BP, that's Thad Allen.

This will end well. (Bonnie, assuming it develops as forecast)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom