• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

BP refuses EPA order to switch to less-toxic oil dispersant

So you expect the government to fix this leak? :roll:

I hope to God the government never lays a hand on the project.

That doesn't mean they're excused from lax inspections.

Perhaps you're unaware that plugs also get inspected? You seem to be under the impression that only the deck of the rig is of concern, and not at all the entire reason why that rig is in the ocean.

Aren't you the guy that has been wrong about everthing from day one?

No you're thinking of ADK.

I haven't been proven to be wrong about anything I've said yet.

Last edited:
Unless expressly invited, yes, they should sit on their hands even when they have people who can help.

So the feds have no responsibility to help save the environment?

Do you know how stupid that sounds. The government can stop the leak but should stay out of it even though they are supposed to be regulating it.

Last edited:
Which people are you talking about? The hundreds that are already working on the problem? Or the hundreds that are trying to minimize the damage?

The feds are doing nothing. Louisiana is doing it themselves because the feds are doing nothing

So the feds have no responsibility to help save the environment?

We're talking about big bro deploying taxpayer owned hardware on site at the leak itself out in international water.

We are not talking about US waters or land, or anything therein.

If the government feels it must do something, it can have the EPA issue an lolorder for BP to use a weaker dispersant which will in turn only make the coastal situation worse.

Oh wait, they did. Good for BP for refusing that lolorder.

I guess the government can still call Capt'n Planet if they want. They should form an investigative bi-partisan comity filled with talking heads with long titles who can spend egregious amounts of China-loaned money to develop vague platitudes and then focus group the results before releasing them in a hyper-partisan poll carefully times so as to get Democrat votes for the next election.

That seems to be the only thing the government is good for.

Do you know how stupid that sounds.

Not as stupid as allowing BP to go years without proper rig and well inspections.

The government can stop the leak but should stay out of it even though they are supposed to be regulating it.

The only way the government could stop this leak is if they found a way to spend the oil like money as it came out of the well. That would dry the well up almost as fast as Obama's administration dried out our surplus revenue and labor pool.

No, the government demonstrated, once again, that it couldn't even file paperwork. They're grounded. They don't even get to play with toy boats let alone real boats, and if they keep it up they're going to bed without dinner.

Last edited:
The feds are doing nothing. Louisiana is doing it themselves because the feds are doing nothing

Louisiana is doing it themselves because they don't need the feds.

If the feds feel they need to do something then they can deposit some money without strings (lol yeah right) and back the **** off.

BP Exhausting All Means Possible on Leak, Allen Says (Update3) - BusinessWeek

May 24 (Bloomberg) -- The federal government is making sure BP Plc is doing all it can to stop the company’s oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, U.S. Coast Guard Commandant Thad Allen said.

He said only the private sector has expertise on a leak at that depth, and the company is “exhausting every technical means possible to deal with that leak.” BP is seeking to seal the well, which is about 5,000 feet (1,524 meters) underwater.

Allen briefed reporters at the White House today amid questions about whether the Obama administration has reacted forcefully and swiftly enough to contain the oil spill.

In response to a reporter’s question, Allen said that “to push BP out of the way would raise a question: replace them with what?”

“We need to make sure they execute their responsibilities because they are the responsible party,” Allen said. “We are accountable from the federal government to make sure they do it.”

Do you want me to get your quotes?:lol:

If you think you have them :2wave:

Me: how did they make the pie?

ADK: The waitress spilled the drinks.

Me: Ok, but I'm asking about pie.

ADK: So you deny the waitress spilled the drinks?

Me: Wow, ok, um, I just wanted to know about the pie...

ADK: Here's a complete list of the store's supply of liquor, the receipts for all liquor perched today, that waitress's tips, and copies of the customer complaints. How can you still deny the waitress spilled the drinks?!

Me:....yeeeaahhh....sssoooo no pie?

Last edited:
If you think you have them :2wave:

"It just occurred to me that at some point the well will lose pressure long before all of it's contents are spilled; this is why rigs have to inject steam or mud into a well to get it to produce after a short time.

This means the '3x worse than Exxon Valdez' doomsday scenario is truly just a scare tactic, because that scenario requires the expulsion of the well's entire contents which the well doesn't have the pressure to do."

"Even if your baseless say-so were accurate, even if the spill is worse than the Valdez....it doesn't matter. This is not a big deal. The amount of oil spilled is negligible. The economic damage is trivial AND will be reimbursed by BP anyway."

Last edited:

May 24 (Bloomberg) -- The federal government is making sure BP Plc is doing all it can to stop the company’s oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, U.S. Coast Guard Commandant Thad Allen said.

He said only the private sector has expertise on a leak at that depth, and the company is “exhausting every technical means possible to deal with that leak.” BP is seeking to seal the well, which is about 5,000 feet (1,524 meters) underwater.

Allen briefed reporters at the White House today amid questions about whether the Obama administration has reacted forcefully and swiftly enough to contain the oil spill.

In response to a reporter’s question, Allen said that “to push BP out of the way would raise a question: replace them with what?”

“We need to make sure they execute their responsibilities because they are the responsible party,” Allen said. “We are accountable from the federal government to make sure they do it.”

That means they have a guy sleeping in a broom closet feeding tid-bits to a the Obama media machine so his approval ratings aren't harmed.

Good, that's exactly how it should be when it comes to cleaning up the mess. Minimal government involvement.

"It just occurred to me that at some point the well will lose pressure long before all of it's contents are spilled; this is why rigs have to inject steam or mud into a well to get it to produce after a short time.

This means the '3x worse than Exxon Valdez' doomsday scenario is truly just a scare tactic, because that scenario requires the expulsion of the well's entire contents which the well doesn't have the pressure to do."

"Even if your baseless say-so were accurate, even if the spill is worse than the Valdez....it doesn't matter. This is not a big deal. The amount of oil spilled is negligible. The economic damage is trivial AND will be reimbursed by BP anyway."

Oh no links to the posts. Nice.

This is true.

At the time the official rate of seepage was 5K barrels per day. That's nothing. Making that claim with those numbers was a scare tactic.

This is also true.

Given the type of oil, the weather conditions and the volume of water, this spill is not but a blip on the radar compared to the flood in Texas. When you consider the big picture of everything which could end you financially, this spill is minor.

Last edited:
Oh no links to the posts. Nice.

This is true.

At the time the official rate of seepage was 5K barrels per day. That's nothing. Making that claim with those numbers was a scare tactic.

This is also true.

Given the type of oil, the weather conditions and the volume of water, this spill is not but a blip on the radar compared to the flood in Texas. When you consider the big picture of everything which could end you financially, this spill is minor.

Like I said, you have been wrong about everything so far. Why ruin your record?

We're talking about big bro deploying taxpayer owned hardware on site at the leak itself out in international water.

We are not talking about US waters or land, or anything therein.

If the government feels it must do something, it can have the EPA issue an lolorder for BP to use a weaker dispersant which will in turn only make the coastal situation worse.

Oh wait, they did. Good for BP for refusing that lolorder.

I guess the government can still call Capt'n Planet if they want. They should form an investigative bi-partisan comity filled with talking heads with long titles who can spend egregious amounts of China-loaned money to develop vague platitudes and then focus group the results before releasing them in a hyper-partisan poll carefully times so as to get Democrat votes for the next election.

That seems to be the only thing the government is good for.

Not as stupid as allowing BP to go years without proper rig and well inspections.

The only way the government could stop this leak is if they found a way to spend the oil like money as it came out of the well. That would dry the well up almost as fast as Obama's administration dried out our surplus revenue and labor pool.

No, the government demonstrated, once again, that it couldn't even file paperwork. They're grounded. They don't even get to play with toy boats let alone real boats, and if they keep it up they're going to bed without dinner.

We are talking about a spill that could greatly damage our coastal shores

Louisiana is doing it themselves because they don't need the feds.

If the feds feel they need to do something then they can deposit some money without strings (lol yeah right) and back the **** off.

They have asked the feds and nothing happened.

So the feds are doing nothing to help with solutions. More blame someone else and give Obama a pass for doing nothing

So the feds are doing nothing to help with solutions. More blame someone else and give Obama a pass for doing nothing

Like I said before, the government is not in the oil business. Would you prefer that they were?
I can not believe so called conservatives are crying for the government to save us. Again.

Inspecting is one thing, stopping the leak is another.
They do have ideas, but this is BPs ballgame. They are the oil men. You expect way too much from the government.

So the Government should sit on its hands when it has people that could help?
MG_107.gif

Unless expressly invited, yes, they should sit on their hands even when they have people who can help.

We are talking about a spill that could greatly damage our coastal shores

As you can see from the original comment, we are talking about the location of the rig, not the entire spill per-se wherever it is or goes.

No, the government should not go out to the rig. They should keep their hands off and let BP handle it. BP ****ed up originally but at this point they are the best people to fix the problem.

There are more options then "government takes over site" and "government sits on hands", because more arias are affected than just the site.

Just because we oppose the government doing one particular action in a localized aria does not mean we oppose any government action of any kind at all anywhere.

I can not believe so called conservatives are crying for the government to save us. Again.

Heh, try being in my shoes listening to that ****.

Like I said before, the government is not in the oil business. Would you prefer that they were?

Yes they are. The regulate it and tax it, when disaster happens they need to help fix it just like a natural disaster. Wait Obama did nothing either when Nashville flooded. I guess Obama does not care about this country.

As you can see from the original comment, we are talking about the location of the rig, not the entire spill per-se wherever it is or goes.

No, the government should not go out to the rig. They should keep their hands off and let BP handle it. BP ****ed up originally but at this point they are the best people to fix the problem.

There are more options then "government takes over site" and "government sits on hands", because more arias are affected than just the site.

Just because we oppose the government doing one particular action in a localized aria does not mean we oppose any government action of any kind at all anywhere.

They regulate it and inspect it they should help stop the spill

They regulate it and inspect it they should help stop the spill

Technical expertise > moral responsibility when you need something to actually happen.

They share responsibility for the spill, doesn't mean they need to be on site getting their hands dirty. One doesn't follow the other.

Just because someone is responsible for something doesn't mean you want them physically involved with the repair. Trust me, if I bang up your car, you really don't want me working in the body shop to repair it. I no absolutely nothing about cars. I'll sit back and flip the bill, but in the shop I would do more harm than good.

Last edited:

"BP is finishing preparations to stop the flow of the blown-out oil well that that has poured millions of gallons of crude into the Gulf of Mexico since the April 20 Deepwater Horizon rig explosion that killed 11 workers.

Much is riding on the planned Wednesday morning "top kill" operation, which involves pumping heavy liquids into the wellhead to plug it. If the procedure works, the gush of oil from a broken pipe connected to the wellhead could end by Wednesday night."

Oil spill: BP is told to cut back on use of dispersant - chicagotribune.com

Some potentially encouraging news. Did not realize this was on the immediate schedule. Cross your fingers, eh...?

Technical expertise > moral responsibility when you need something to actually happen.

They share responsibility for the spill, doesn't mean they need to be on site getting their hands dirty. One doesn't follow the other.

Just because someone is responsible for something doesn't mean you want them physically involved with the repair. Trust me, if I bang up your car, you really don't want me working in the body shop to repair it. I no absolutely nothing about cars. I'll sit back and flip the bill, but in the shop I would do more harm than good.

They doing nothing. They are not helping states protect the shores. This morning a White house energy Dept. spokes person said they would help the states. Another lie Jindahl is still waiting for a permit to do work to block oil spill.

Give Obama a pass if you want but he is derelict in his duties of protecting the shores.

By the way Obama will be in Chicago on Memorial weekend on vacation no Arlington Cemetary

President Obama and first family home to Chicago for Memorial Day

President Barack Obama and family are heading home for the Memorial Day holiday, and though the schedule is still sketchy, he's confirmed to attend ceremonies at Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery in far south suburban Elwood.

They doing nothing. They are not helping states protect the shores. This morning a White house energy Dept. spokes person said they would help the states. Another lie Jindahl is still waiting for a permit to do work to block oil spill.

Give Obama a pass if you want but he is derelict in his duties of protecting the shores.

As long as he stays away from the spill site I don't personally care what he does or does not do.

By the way Obama will be in Chicago on Memorial weekend on vacation no Arlington Cemetary

It's a fairly standard photo-op for any President. Can't see why I would care either way.

As long as he stays away from the spill site I don't personally care what he does or does not do.

It's a fairly standard photo-op for any President. Can't see why I would care either way.

I don't want Obama fixing the spill I want him to send government experts that can help Obama has shown he doesn't care.

As for Arlington another finger in the eye to the pentagon the day after Obama says he will not wait for the pentagon investigation of don't ask don't tell

Back
Top Bottom