• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

BP Oil Spill: Against Gov. Jindal's Wishes, Crude-Sucking Barges Stopped by Coast Gua

zimmer

Educating the Ignorant
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Sixteen barges sat stationary today, although they were sucking up thousands of gallons of BP's oil as recently as Tuesday... It was a homegrown idea that seemed to be effective at collecting the thick gunk.

"These barges work. You've seen them work. You've seen them suck oil out of the water," said Jindal.

The Coast Guard needed to confirm that there were fire extinguishers and life vests on board, and then it had trouble contacting the people who built the barges.
BP Oil Spill: Against Gov. Bobby Jindal's Wishes, Crude-Sucking Barges Stopped by Coast Guard - ABC News

Isn't bureaucracy wonderful?

Last edited:
Re: BP Oil Spill: Against Gov. Jindal's Wishes, Crude-Sucking Barges Stopped by Coast

WELCOME TO OBAMALAND AMERICA.

EVERY decision requires words with a committee before a decision is reached and that decision can then be passed onto the next committee and so on ad nauseum.

Only after all committee's have arrived at the decision individually can it be passed to the Coast Guard, who then have to ask the Messiah whether the work can be carried out.

The hold up was likely because Obama was out practicing on a Golf course somewhere?

Re: BP Oil Spill: Against Gov. Jindal's Wishes, Crude-Sucking Barges Stopped by Coast

Ahh the irony and double standard of the right and Bobby Jindal.

Here they are pissed that the Coast Guard are doing their jobs by making sure that ships and barges have fire extinguishers and life vests on board.

But they are also pissed that other government agencies did not do their jobs correctly with a tad of corruption and that ultimately could have lead to the disaster... oh the double standard... Seems to me, the right and Bobby Jindal will take anything and attack the Obama administration for political gain.

How about dear Bobby Jindal get the conformation the Coast Guard needs instead of standing there whining?

Here they are pissed that the Coast Guard are doing their jobs by making sure that ships and barges have fire extinguishers and life vests on board.

But they are also pissed that other government agencies did not do their jobs correctly with a tad of corruption and that ultimately could have lead to the disaster... oh the double standard... Seems to me, the right and Bobby Jindal will take anything and attack the Obama administration for political gain.

How about dear Bobby Jindal get the conformation the Coast Guard needs instead of standing there whining?

How about some common sense.
Let them work, come aboard, but don't have 16 barges at stand still.

I wonder if life vests and fire extinguishers were the only thing?

WELCOME TO OBAMALAND AMERICA.

EVERY decision requires words with a committee before a decision is reached and that decision can then be passed onto the next committee and so on ad nauseum.

Only after all committee's have arrived at the decision individually can it be passed to the Coast Guard, who then have to ask the Messiah whether the work can be carried out.

The hold up was likely because Obama was out practicing on a Golf course somewhere?

Obviously you have never been in the military.

Everyone attacks anything government operates as poorly run except the military. But the military is government run with acres of policies and regulations that unbeknownst to many here were in place before Obama or Bush.

another ignorant post from our european friend....

Boats sitting waiting for confirmation?

who stopped them from going out and why couldn't they do the inspection?

This is nonsense.

Why did it take the CG over a month to approve the sand berms and the homemade vaccum barges? The CG approved ten this week, nearly two months after the spill bringing the total number to a whopping 13.

I find it hard to believe how some Leftists scream about how bad this disaster is, yet condone holidng up the containment effort over a few life jackets.

That makes as much sense as putting all the oilfield hands out of work for our own good.

Everyone attacks anything government operates as poorly run except the military. But the military is government run with acres of policies and regulations that unbeknownst to many here were in place before Obama or Bush.

In the military, when there's an emergency, alot of those rules and regulations go out the window, too.

I understand people's frustrations over this but being a former sailor, I can tell you it gets rough out there on the Gulf sometimes. A barge is akin to a small cork bobbing around in the water when the seas get rough. And we have to remember, if one of these men go overboard without a life vest on with all that oil coating the surface of the water...

Trust me on this, folks. It's not easy trying to swim underwater using swimming techniques intended to push the oil away from you to make a clear path back to your boat. It's very hard not to mention getting all that oil in your eyes, mouth and all over your skin. After fighting through all that stuff, you're lucky to remain afloat on your own power. The life vest is usually the only thing keeping your head above water!

So, while I share Gov. Jindal's frustration on this small matter, it's not as trivial as some may think. Moreover, we have to remember that where the Jones Act is concerned, the government has to pay for every injury and loss of life lost at sea of our maritime sailors. So, there's a bigger issue at stake here than just the oil cleanup. It all has to be balanced out. For my take, if these barges were stopped just because they didn't have life vest and fire extinguishers just go buy the damned things and get those barges back out there. Twenty-four hours later, they are. Hate the delay, but if you stop and look at the big picture it was important to ensure the people operating those barges had the proper safety gear to protect themselves and keep them as safe as possible.

Last edited:

I understand people's frustrations over this but being a former sailor, I can tell you it gets rough out there on the Gulf sometimes. A barge is akin to a small cork bobbing around in the water when the seas get rough. And we have to remember, if one of these men go overboard without a life vest on with all that oil coating the surface of the water...

Trust me on this, folks. It's not easy trying to swim underwater using swimming techniques intended to push the oil away from you to make a clear path back to your boat. It's very hard not to mention getting all that oil in your eyes, mouth and all over your skin. After fighting through all that stuff, you're lucky to remain afloat on your own power. The life vest is usually the only thing keeping your head above water!

So, while I share Gov. Jindal's frustration on this small matter, it's not as trivial as some may think. Moreover, we have to remember that where the Jones Act is concerned, the government has to pay for every injury and loss of life lost at sea of our maritime sailors. So, there's a bigger issue at stake here than just the oil cleanup. It all has to be balanced out. For my take, if these barges were stopped just because they didn't have life vest and fire extinguishers just go buy the damned things and get those barges back out there. Twenty-four hours later, they are. Hate the delay, but if you stop and look at the big picture it was important to ensure the people operating those barges had the proper safety gear to protect themselves and keep them as safe as possible.

why couldn't the coastie that shut em down say "yup they gots life jackets"

Why did it take the CG over a month to approve the sand berms and the homemade vaccum barges? The CG approved ten this week, nearly two months after the spill bringing the total number to a whopping 13.

I find it hard to believe how some Leftists scream about how bad this disaster is, yet condone holidng up the containment effort over a few life jackets.

That makes as much sense as putting all the oilfield hands out of work for our own good.

It was unsafe practices which caused this disaster in the first place. I find it hard to believe how some Rightists scream about how this disaster is no big deal, yet claim we need to rush to ignore established safety procedures.

why couldn't the coastie that shut em down say "yup they gots life jackets"

The committee is still out on whether those life jackets on board are really life jackets, and whether the fire extinguishers are really fire extinguishers..... and whether they will really extinguish a fire!!!!

They will let us know in 6 months or so whether the barges can go back to work or not.

The committee is still out on whether those life jackets on board are really life jackets, and whether the fire extinguishers are really fire extinguishers..... and whether they will really extinguish a fire!!!!

They will let us know in 6 months or so whether the barges can go back to work or not.

After Jindal strenuously made his case, the barges finally got the go-ahead Thursday to return to the Gulf and get back to work, after more than 24 hours of sitting idle.

24 hours is kind of short of 6 months.........

It was unsafe practices which caused this disaster in the first place. I find it hard to believe how some Rightists scream about how this disaster is no big deal, yet claim we need to rush to ignore established safety procedures.

Well, first off, we still don't know what caused the blowout. Second, the lack of a few life vests isn't going to cause an environmental disaster. Third, it doesn't take a whole 24 hours to issue a few life vests.

Well, first off, we still don't know what caused the blowout. Second, the lack of a few life vests isn't going to cause an environmental disaster. Third, it doesn't take a whole 24 hours to issue a few life vests.
Especially in South La. Every ****ing reputable fishing equipment retailer has at least a dozen in the back of the store.

Never assume, you will frequently be incorrect, as indeed you are on this supposition of yours.
The Military is Government funded, it's actions are Government ordered, however it is not Government run.
The Military is run by the Military through it's own command structure, the top of which may and is actually appointed by government.

Especially in South La. Every ****ing reputable fishing equipment retailer has at least a dozen in the back of the store.

They probably shut the barges down, only to find out that they did have life vest, afterall.

The next thing we hear, is that the CG shut the barges down to make sure they crews had the right kind of life vests.

Last edited:

They probably shut the barges down, only to find out that they did have life vest, afterall.

The next thing we hear, is that the CG shut the barges down to make sure they crews had the right kind of life vests.
Not that difficult, if it's sold it'll keep you afloat. But, that's the fed for ya.

The biggest thing this incident highlights is the failure that is the Obama administration. By the spills standard, Obama is making Bush look like he was 'Johnny on the spot' with Katrina.

I mean Obama is refusing help from other countries that could have prevented the oil from reaching the Marshes. Obama is stopping states like La. from doing things on its own to protect its coast line. And Obama is dithering, appointing commissions, and boards filled with not Oil experts, but rather anti Oil academics bent on killing our own oil extraction here in the US to further an agenda of Cap and Trade.

IMHO, it is criminal what he is doing.

j-mac

This is the same kind of beauracracy that hindered us with Katrina. Government loses again.

Apparently these barges are operational again.

Back
Top Bottom