• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

BP deliberately sinks oil with Corexit as cover up

The Giant Noodle

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
bp_bunr_2(1).PNG

[COLOR=black !important]Testimony before a Senate investigative panel this week is expected to reveal what many have suspected about BP all along; they don’t care about the environment, the animals that are dying, and the lives that are being destroyed by the Deepwater Horizon oil spill.

In a shocking interview with CNN’s Anderson Cooper on June 29th, Allegiance Capitol Corporation V.P. Fred McCallister said that BP is deliberately sinking oil with the toxic chemical disbursant Corexit, to hide the size of the oil spill. By sinking the oil before it can be collected, BP won’t have to pay fines on it.

McCallister said, “Everybody in Europe, where the standard practice is to raise the oil and collect it, is scratching their heads, and quite honestly laughing at what’s happening in the Gulf.” He added, “Everyone is looking at us and wondering why we’re allowing this to happen.”

McCallister is set to appear before a Senate investigative panel on Thursday and testify that BP’s only interests regarding the Deepwater Horizon spill is protectimg their own financial interests. His statements explained why BP has been refusing offers of help from additional foreign skimmers.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black !important]BP’s fear is that independent skimmers would be able to count the number of gallons collected, and thus provide the US government with data to assess spill rate financial penalties against BP, according to McCallister.

“BP is in control of this situation and they are doing what’s in the best interests of BP and their shareholders,” McCallister said.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black !important] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black !important]Whistle blower to testify on oil spill worst fear:BP deliberately sinks oil with Corexit as cover up[/COLOR]

I was really hoping to get feedback from you folks on this. Anyone have a feelings either way?

This sounds like it belongs in the Conspiracy Forum. Use of Corexit for dispersion of oil spills is nothing new, and was used as far back as 1989 to clean up after the Exxon Valdez It's not like this is some unique trick to keep the public in the dark.

COREXIT® Technology
Prompt deployment of Nalco COREXIT® oil spill dispersants is one very effective and proven method of minimizing the impact of a spill on the environment. When the COREXIT dispersants are deployed on the spilled oil, the oil is broken up into tiny bio-degradable droplets that immediately sink below the surface where they continue to disperse and bio-degrade. This quickly removes the spilled oil from surface drift…reducing direct exposure to birds, fish and sea animals in the spill environment. By keeping the oil from adhering to wildlife COREXIT dispersants effectively protect the environment.
COREXIT® Technology - Nalco Company

If there's something wrong with COREXIT, the government or the EPA should be forbidding its use. I'm with Angry. It's been around quite a while. I wonder what the prolem is...

COREXIT® Technology - Nalco Company

If there's something wrong with COREXIT, the government or the EPA should be forbidding its use. I'm with Angry. It's been around quite a while. I wonder what the prolem is...

Alot of emulsifiers have toxic chemicals in them

nonylphenols for example are extremely common in such products
Nonylphenol is considered to be an endocrine disruptor due to weak ability to mimic estrogen and in turn disrupt the natural balance of hormones in a given organism.[3][4][5] The effect is weak because nonylphenols are not very close structural mimics of estradiol, but the levels of nonylphenol can be sufficiently high to compensate.
Nonylphenol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The use nonylphenols in emulsifiers for Herbicide products is being phased out due to this

Occurrence in the environment
Nonylphenol has been detected widely in waste water streams across the globe, which is a concern since it is toxic to many aquatic organisms. For example, nonylphenol has been detected both in the Great Lakes and in the region of New York City.[6] In 1984, the formation of 4-nonylphenols from nonylphenol ethoxylates in wastewater treatment plants was first discovered.[7] Nonylphenol is persistent in the environment,[8] therefore lingers with the potential to negatively affect organisms it comes in contact with. Nonylphenol also bioaccumulates, which is dangerous to animals and humans who eat meat.

I dont know if Corexit has nonylphenos in it but at the time it was developed nonylphenols were very commonly used

Alot of emulsifiers have toxic chemicals in them

nonylphenols for example are extremely common in such products
Nonylphenol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The use nonylphenols in emulsifiers for Herbicide products is being phased out due to this

I dont know if Corexit has nonylphenos in it but at the time it was developed nonylphenols were very commonly used

Regardless of it's chemical makeup, the OP was attempting to link it to some sort of coverup. I was just pointing out that it's pretty much standard practice in such situations to attempt to break down the oil as much as possible.

You're right on target, Lord Tammerlain. According to CNN link BP says that, while Corexit doesn't in and of itself contain any nonylphenols, it does have a small amount of a chemical that may degrade into it.

This is a quote from a May 22 CNN article:
The EPA issued a directive on Thursday, ordering BP to find, within 24 hours, a less toxic but equally effective chemical than its current product, Corexit 9500 -- and one that is available in sufficient quantities. The directive also gave the company 72 hours to stop applying it to the undersea gusher.
Wonder how it stands now. BP won't change dispersant used in oil spill -- for now - CNN.com

Back
Top Bottom