• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

BP bused in 100s of temp workers for Obama visit, state official says

Slartibartfast

Jesus loves you.
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
BP bused in 100s of temp workers for Obama visit, state official says - Yahoo! News

Jefferson Parish Councilman Chris Roberts, whose district encompasses Grand Isle, told Yahoo! News that BP bused in "hundreds" of temporary workers to clean up local beaches. And as soon as the president was en route back to Washington, the workers were clearing out of Grand Isle too, Roberts said.
"The level of cleanup and cooperation we've gotten from BP in the past is in no way consistent to the effort shown on the island today," Roberts said by telephone. "As soon as the president left, they were immediately put back on the buses and sent home."
Roberts says the overnight contingent of workers was there mainly to furnish a Potemkin-style backdrop for the event — while also making it appear that BP was firmly in command of spill cleanup efforts

"The level of cleanup and cooperation we've gotten from BP in the past is in no way consistent to the effort shown on the island today," Roberts said by telephone. "As soon as the president left, they were immediately put back on the buses and sent home."

Hmm... so these temporary people used as a backdrop for President Obama's benefit, left after Obama left. How is this a benefit to BP? I would think it would have been a benefit to the President. Sorta like this was:

6a00d8341c630a53ef0120a616a623970c-600wi

I mean... everyone knows that 100% of Doctors wear white lab coats outside and during press conferences - just so the viewers know and can recognize "Hey! I'm a Doctor over here! See my bright Tide white lab coat!!?" Same thing with the BP "cleanup workers" bussed in from who knows where. :shrug:

Maybe the President should have visited sooner. :shrug:

This has been covered extensively on CNN Anderson Cooper 360

The oil-spill issue has definitely bypassed partisan favoritism

serpenthead carville last nite on cnn raged on about the lack of CLEANUP going on TODAY, YESTERDAY, DAY 38, DAY 37...

ie, nothing has been done of substance to clean up this mess

what is obama waiting for?

if they can't stop the leak they should at least be out there, y'know, trying to contain the damage

instead, he's on VACATION

he's bouncing basketballs with the blue devils

he's fundraising for bitchy barbara boxer

"the media may get tired of this story but we will not," the president PROJECTED friday before flying to chicago for the weekend

'You will not be abandoned,' Obama tells weary Gulf Coast | McClatchy

he WISHES the media would just drop this

it interrupts all the fun of being president

but they won't, never

the msm will be all over this chernobyl off louisiana for years

pray

40 days, 7 hours, 9 minutes, 43 seconds...

Prof, I actually enjoy your posts, really I do, they make me laugh.

I'll just debunk one of your points.

oiled-bird-south-korea.jpg
= Louisana Oil Spill

site10i5x.jpg
= Chernobyl

Prof, I actually enjoy your posts, really I do, they make me laugh.

I'll just debunk one of your points.

oiled-bird-south-korea.jpg
= Louisana Oil Spill

site10i5x.jpg
= Chernobyl

What is that suppose to prove?

Chernobyl Disaster = environmental and human disaster which only happened because someone wanted energy and humans used a means which is dangerous and delicate to produce it.
Gulf Oil Disaster = environmental and human disaster which only happened because someone wanted energy and humans used a means which is dangerous and delicate to produce it.

Sounds the same, to me - but Chernobyl, on a human scale, was far worse . . . but the meat of it is the exact same. People overstepping their bounds and ****ing over others for the sake of their precious energy.

Chernobyl was a whole different ball game. It's effects on humanity, just as the bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki still prevail to this day. The ground is still iradiated, and children are still born with defects and there are high rates of Lukemia. Oil can be washed away, and does not infect people with diseases long after it is gone.

Doesn't make the oil spill any less bad, all I'm saying is that the comparison is not fair. Not least of all because not a single soul has been lost... or am I wrong?

Last edited:
serpenthead carville last nite on cnn raged on about the lack of CLEANUP going on TODAY, YESTERDAY, DAY 38, DAY 37...

ie, nothing has been done of substance to clean up this mess

what is obama waiting for?

if they can't stop the leak they should at least be out there, y'know, trying to contain the damage

instead, he's on VACATION

he's bouncing basketballs with the blue devils

he's fundraising for bitchy barbara boxer

"the media may get tired of this story but we will not," the president PROJECTED friday before flying to chicago for the weekend

'You will not be abandoned,' Obama tells weary Gulf Coast | McClatchy

he WISHES the media would just drop this

it interrupts all the fun of being president

but they won't, never

pray

40 days, 7 hours, 9 minutes, 43 seconds...

Interesting... we suddenly have a conservative environmentalist complaining about the vacation time of the Executive in Chief..... can Armageddon be far behind?

No one was more asleep at the wheel than the previous administration:

President Obama’s Vacation Days | FactCheck.org

This guy is at least on the job.

Chernobyl was a whole different ball game. It's effects on humanity, just as the bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki still prevail to this day. The ground is still iradiated, and children are still born with defects and there are high rates of Lukemia. Oil can be washed away, and does not infect people with diseases long after it is gone.

Doesn't make the oil spill any less bad, all I'm saying is that the comparison is not fair. Not least of all because not a single soul has been lost... or am I wrong?

Actually, 11 people were killed, but that is incidental. Hundreds of thousands are or will be in economic ruin, which will result in collateral death.....and an ecology is destroyed for generations. The toxins released into this eco-system will also result in future death/quality of life issues. I think the analogy is reasonably on target.

Last edited:
Staying within the OP parameters, this was a low down dirty trick by BP. And to bus them in instead of using locals is even worse. There are plenty of people who's livelihoods have been disrupted or destroyed by this spill and could certainly use the extra cash. BP is showing they have learned nothing from this.

Back
Top Bottom