• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

BP announces 'top kill' has failed to stop Gulf oil leak

hazlnut

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate

BP announced Saturday that its 'top kill' effort to stop the oil flowing into the Gulf of Mexico has failed.
After three days in which BP said it pumped more than 30,000 barrels of drilling lubricant known as mud into the runaway wells blowout preventer, BP engineers determined it was time to try something else, BP's chief operating officer Doug Suttles said.

He said the decision was made in consultation with Interior Secretary Ken Salazar and Energy Secrtary Steven Chu, a Nobel prize winner in physics.

BP's next option involves cutting off the failed, leaking riser at the top of the blowout preventer to get a clean-cut surface on the pipe. Then the company will install a cap with a sealing grommet that would be connected to a new riser from the Discoverer Enterprise drillship, with the hopes of capturing most of the oil and gas flowing from the well.

Engineers had hoped the mud pumped into the blowout preventer under the top kill method iwould accumulate and prevent the crude oil and gas from continuing to flow.

Question: Why isn't a demolition crew being sent in to seal the leak the old fashioned way? Does that not work with underwater drilling?

Just asking.

This whole situation including the government's handling of it is sickening.

Last edited:

Question: Why isn't a demolition crew being sent in to seal the leak the old fashioned way? Does that not work with underwater drilling?

Just asking.

And why isn't the device Kevin Costner is promoting that has proven to be successful at removing the oil from the water not even being heard by BP or the administration?

Last edited:

Just asking.

The technology required to set off explosives at that depth might not exist. I'm not sure. I'm sure it was considered and found to be unviable due to the fact it could make it worse by widening the hole etc..

Nearly every expert in the field that I have heard talk has said everything that is being done now is for show so it appears are doing something, and that the only way they will be able to stop the flow of oil is by drilling another well, which will take months. We will be seeing oil come out of the ocean floor in August...and there is going to be hell to pay, the American people are getting more and more frustrated with this everyday.

The pressure down there is probably too immense to send actual people down to work on it. It's supposed to be several thousand pounds PSI. In fact, I heard that some of the machines being sent down there have windows that are 9 inches thick of tempered glass, and that anything less would cause them to pretty much immediately shatter.

The pressure down there is probably too immense to send actual people down to work on it. It's supposed to be several thousand pounds PSI. In fact, I heard that some of the machines being sent down there have windows that are 9 inches thick of tempered glass, and that anything less would cause them to pretty much immediately shatter.

And you can thank the beloved environmentalists for pushing us out into the middle of freaking nowhere to have to drill. If this were on land or in shallow water, this would have been capped by Day 2.

Brilliant! Next time you have a leak in a tire, just stuff a chery bomb in it and kaboom, leak sealed!

Next time you get cut and start bleeding, jam some firecrackers in there and pop-poapop-popop your arm is healed!

I was wondering why they can't service the BOP's seals, refill it's hydraulics and then activate it. I mean the damn thing tried to close, it just couldn't because of a leak. I'm no engineer but it seems to me that a hydraulic leak on a piece of equipment should be faster/better/cheaper than plugging the well.

Alternatively, BOPs are designed to stack on top of each other. Can't they attach another BOP unit to this stack and flip the switch?

Last edited:
Jesus ****ing christ

I swear to god these numbnuts at BP are really a bunch of bull****. An absolute waste of space and a scourge of humanity. After they destroy the earth in the process of playing around with this **** maybe they'll be kind enough to just off theirselves.

Just plug the damn hole.

Easier said than done. You do realize that the pressure of the hydrocarbons coming out of that well is thousands of pounds per square inch, don't you?

Easier said than done. You do realize that the pressure of the hydrocarbons coming out of that well is thousands of pounds per square inch, don't you?

....but Obama said to "just plug the damn hole." Certainly if his Holiness says it is that easy, thy will must be done.

Now it's time they used my plan.

Plug the hole with BP Executives.

Oh, my. :(

It looks like I may spend my vacation cleaning tar off the beach, rather than lounging on it as planned.

Oh, my. :(

It looks like I may spend my vacation cleaning tar off the beach, rather than lounging on it as planned.

...or go somewhere else for a vacation....Northrend is lovly this time of year...

...or go somewhere else for a vacation....Northrend is lovly this time of year...

I'm going to South Padre.
It's close, and everything's already planned.
A bunch of us are going.

This gives that song about a hole in the bottom of the sea a whole new depressing meaning.

And you can thank the beloved environmentalists for pushing us out into the middle of freaking nowhere to have to drill. If this were on land or in shallow water, this would have been capped by Day 2.

Leave to a hardcore radical to try and blame those opposed to something very risky, instead of the ones who actually caused the CRISIS for nothing more than personal greed. Shame on you.

So environmentalists are the reason that BP neglected preventative measures?

How so?

Please, explain the logic of that statement. Be sure to include links that back up the 'thought process' you used to reach that conclusion.

How so?

Please, explain the logic of that statement. Be sure to include links that back up the 'thought process' you used to reach that conclusion.

And while you're at it, why don't you expose how you work for the oil industry. At least you should, because that's a line that would come straight from their mouths.

Poor oil industry always having to put up with people who don't like it when they spill billions of gallons of oil, kill off endangered species, ruin fishing and shrimping industries, destroy tourism...

And all because they wanted to save $500,000 on preventative measures and our lazy-ass MMA regulators let them.

And while you're at it, why don't you expose how you work for the oil industry. At least you should, because that's a line that would come straight from their mouths.

Poor oil industry always having to put up with people who don't like it when they spill billions of gallons of oil, kill off endangered species, ruin fishing and shrimping industries, destroy tourism...

And all because they wanted to save $500,000 on preventative measures and our lazy-ass MMA regulators let them.

I blame the last 3 presidents for this. The government, during the Clinton, Bush, and Obama years, stopped regulating the oil industry, or at least greatly reduced regulation. What drugs were they all taking? Did they really believe those BP commercials on TV, you know, the ones which claimed that BP actually gave a damn about the environment?

Why did the spill happen? There can be only one answer - Pure, unadulterated greed, and our very own government was absolutely complicit in this. Heads need to roll. Now you can blame Clinton and Bush all you want, but Clinton and Bush are no longer in power. Obama is, and this is happening right now, on HIS watch. It is Obama's head that should roll first, and then it will be time to roll the heads of everyone else involved in this disgrace.

Last edited:

Just asking.

I am wondering why they can't shove some epanding foam down the hole and let it expand or and inflatable bladder down a pipe and expand the bladder with water to plug the hole and then seal it with cement. Of course I am no engieneer and I do not know how those thigs would work that deep, but it sounds like a better than idea than just hoping a box or tophat can stop the leak.

Back
Top Bottom