• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Boys More Likely To Be Victims Of Teen Dating Violence Than Girls, Study Shows

SDET

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
My youngest son experienced this back when he was 13. He still isn't completely over it.

https://www.studyfinds.org/boys-more-victimized-by-teen-dating-violence-than-girls-study-finds/

VANCOUVER — Who is more likely to be victimized by teen dating violence? If you’re quick to think it’s girls, new data shows you’re wrong. In a surprising twist, recently published research indicates boys are more likely to report being victims of dating violence committed by partners who hit, slap or push them.

Researchers with the University of British Columbia (UBC) and Simon Fraser University (SFU) conducted a longitudinal study of dating violence. While reports of physical abuse went down over time, they say there is a troubling gender-related trend.

Some of the comments after the article:

John Wayne
Sounds about right. My exwife kicked, punched and threw all kinds of stuff around at me. If not leaving her high and dry she would have killed me and gotten away with it.
Like · Reply · 39 · 18w

Mike Tierney
Been there myself. 5 years married to a woman who punched. 37 years married to one that doesn't I much prefer my 2nd marriage. Oh by the way when the ex wifes mother calls and threatens to kill you because you are divorcing her daughter and you report her to the Duluth Police they just laugh. It made no difference to them that she had already murdered 2 people and attempted to kill 6 more. I left Duluth and good riddance.
Like · Reply · 20 · 18w · Edited

Michael Medley
Mike Tierney Duluth is home to those feminist who developed The Duluth Protocol for domestic violence. It has haunted mankind ever since.
Like · Reply · 8 · 18w

Mike Tierney
Michael Medley No Duluth Protocol for me just laughter. I did tell the cops if they found my body where to look for the killer. I vacated my house and got it on the market within 24 hours. Loaded my stuff on a UHAUL and I was on my way. The crazy killer lady never found me after that. I now own guns and she would be in her 90's I am not as worried as I was.

William Grimlan
It probably has always been that way, not an increase. And...it probably holds true for adults, not just teens. I know just as many wives who had lay their hands on their husbands then visa versa. The men absorb it, because they are taught don't never hit a girl, just to absorb it. Sad, isn't it? It's the double standard. So...the study doesn't surprises men.
Like · Reply · 24 · 18w

Sam Coleman
It does, 70% of non-reciprocal (one way) domestic violence in hetero relationships is committed by women.
Like · Reply · 17 · 18w

Alex Jarvis
From the first time when I was very little and a much older and larger girl hit me and I slugged her back, then got the lecture on how boys aren’t supposed to hit girls meanwhile she wasn’t disciplined at all for hitting me first, it never sat right with me. This is one of those social curses the boomers are leaving America.
Like · Reply · 11 · 18w

Wim Vincken
yes, 40% of the abuse is directed to males in the UK
Like · Reply · 1 · 18w
Show 3 more replies in this thread

Harold Riley
The double standard today is crazy. A female I know kicked a car and dented it. Nothing happened. A guy does that to his ex's car, he'd be rounded up for DV.
Like · Reply · 21 · 18w

Shelby Smithton
Sadly to end the double standard; the guy with the girlfriend damaged his car needs a lawyer to help him swear out a warrent to force the police to act.

Yes...the poor poor men.

Victims.

Men.

Especially white men.

Victims.

:inandout:

Yes...the poor poor men.

Victims.

Men.

Especially white men.

Victims.

The only victims are who the left deems to be victims. No one else apply!! Any Domestic abuse is NOT acceptable. None!

Was going to post about my own experiences, then realized it made me sound like a MRA and deleted everything I was writing.

Problem is, can't talk about women doing bad things to men, without sounding like your anti women.

Just like it's hard for a feminist to talk about what's happening to women without sounding anti men. It's weird to agree with a movement that makes you feel evil for the way you were taught, by a woman (your mother) to treat other women.

And right now, women have the ****tier end of the stick. So anything us men complain about, whether it's the domestic abuse, the general acceptance that it's ok to manipulate men for financial gain, or the double standard on domestic caregiving, we have to wait til women are at least able to accuse their rapists without being shamed in society to bring it up.

Otherwise we look like MRA trying to hold onto our toxic male dominated patriarchy. Which is not the case, at all.

I saw nowhere in that article that discussed the ratio of girls abusing boys to boys hitting boys or girls hitting girls.

Those are the relationships today.

Gay men were close to two times (1.7) more likely to require medical attention and 16 times more likely to suffer injury as compared to individuals who did not identify as gay men.[19] A 2014 review of the literature found that rates of domestic violence among same-sex couples are similar to or greater than opposite-sexed couples.[20]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domestic_violence_in_same-sex_relationships

So there's a few things to unpack here.

It is true, that female on male domestic violence in general, is massively under reported, it does happen, more often than one would think, personally, I was punched and slapped by a girlfriend on a couple of occasions, but I'm a bit old fashioned and don't really think anything of it, it was a couple of times over a 2 year period and I can't say I didn't do anything to precipitate it, believe me, however I digress.

In reality still, male on female violence is far more widespread, that doesn't discount what some males are experiencing, but its important to point that out, this is one study, not that I have any reason to doubt it, but in general, it remains true that male on female violence, especially in the domestic setting, far outweighs the opposite.

Thirdly one must also understand the motivations of the OP in posting such a study, he's someone with a seething hatred for women and someone who values them as much as he may value a doormat.

Yes...the poor poor men.

Victims.

Men.

Especially white men.

Victims.

Listening and looking at the evidence with an open mind is what you were supposed to do here, in case you were wondering.

It is true, that female on male domestic violence in general, is massively under reported, it does happen, more often than one would think, personally, I was punched and slapped by a girlfriend on a couple of occasions, but I'm a bit old fashioned and don't really think anything of it, it was a couple of times over a 2 year period and I can't say I didn't do anything to precipitate it, believe me, however I digress.

In reality still, male on female violence is far more widespread, that doesn't discount what some males are experiencing, but its important to point that out, this is one study, not that I have any reason to doubt it, but in general, it remains true that male on female violence, especially in the domestic setting, far outweighs the opposite.

Thirdly one must also understand the motivations of the OP in posting such a study, he's someone with a seething hatred for women and someone who values them as much as he may value a doormat.

From other studies I've seen it's like a 40% male/60% female statistical difference between domestic abuse. So it definitely happens to men, but women do experience it more often than men do.

Yes...the poor poor men.

Victims.

Men.

Especially white men.

Victims.

May I assume these "statistics" run counter to your political ideology then? So much for all that "party of science" nonsense, huh?

Why? Knowledge is a good thing even if it does conflict with the liberal hierarchy of victimization.

My youngest son experienced this back when he was 13.

Sorry, but getting slapped by your girlfriend isn't in the same ballpark as getting punched by your boyfriend. Go cry victim somewhere else.

Sorry, but getting slapped by your girlfriend isn't in the same ballpark as getting punched by your boyfriend.

That this need be said is hilarious.

Sorry, but getting slapped by your girlfriend isn't in the same ballpark as getting punched by your boyfriend. Go cry victim somewhere else.

If you must know, it was full-on sexual and psychological abuse that went on over several months. It also involved her threatening to release indecent photos and coerced three-way sex.
However, it's OK, no one here is crying victim. I'm fully aware of the world we live in. Others might benefit from my "word to the wise". I understand that not all are wise.

You think sexual abuse of a 13 year old is cool; I get it. It takes all kinds in this world.

Yes...the poor poor men.

Victims.

Men.

Especially white men.

Victims.

What a total low-life response. This is exactly whey men never say anything when they are the victims. Pathetic.

I saw nowhere in that article that discussed the ratio of girls abusing boys to boys hitting boys or girls hitting girls.

Those are the relationships today.

Well, I went to track down one of the statistics quoted and found it. The ration is, apparently, higher for girls being violent than for boys.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1854883/

Results. Almost 24% of all relationships had some violence, and half (49.7%) of those were reciprocally violent. In nonreciprocally violent relationships, women were the perpetrators in more than 70% of the cases. Reciprocity was associated with more frequent violence among women (adjusted odds ratio [AOR]=2.3; 95% confidence interval [CI]=1.9, 2.8), but not men (AOR=1.26; 95% CI=0.9, 1.7). Regarding injury, men were more likely to inflict injury than were women (AOR=1.3; 95% CI=1.1, 1.5), and reciprocal intimate partner violence was associated with greater injury than was nonreciprocal intimate partner violence regardless of the gender of the perpetrator (AOR=4.4; 95% CI=3.6, 5.5).

So 24% of relationships had violence, of those, 50% was reciprocal (so both boys and girls), but that leaves 50% non-reciprocal and that is 70% women being the perpetrator.

It's pretty sad that men have been conditioned to think this way. Imagine the response that would come if it was flipped around and it was the female that said she did something to deserve it.

See post #18, because that's not true. Only thing that's true is women are more likely to be injured, and that can be marked down purely due to biological differences and men not reporting.

Pretty strong words, and also no germane to what was posted.

From other studies I've seen it's like a 40% male/60% female statistical difference between domestic abuse. So it definitely happens to men, but women do experience it more often than men do.

I posted a study in post #18 showing that not to be true. Further, it's going to be extremely off because men will report at significantly lower rates than women.

No one said it was, but it's abuse, none the less. That you're OK with that says more about you have an abusive mindset than anything about someone else.

That this need be said is hilarious.

Look at you....finding humor in the abuse of others. Much in common with certain violent mental disorders.

You poor, poor victim.

You too, seem cool with the sexual abuse of a 13 year old. The silver lining is that my son learned first hand what women can be like at a young age. Thankfully at 16, he now has a good girlfriend.

It's pretty sad that men have been conditioned to think this way. Imagine the response that would come if it was flipped around and it was the female that said she did something to deserve it.

See post #18, because that's not true. Only thing that's true is women are more likely to be injured, and that can be marked down purely due to biological differences and men not reporting.

Pretty strong words, and also no germane to what was posted.

Thankfully, the law is the law. My advice to men: get proof and prosecute every time.

Back
Top Bottom