• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Boys More Likely To Be Victims Of Teen Dating Violence Than Girls, Study Shows

That this need be said is hilarious.

Is a man hitting a woman violent? Yes.
Is a woman hitting a man violent? Yes

Looks like it is the same ball park...

The fact that this need be pointed out is ****ing hilarious.l..

Well, I went to track down one of the statistics quoted and found it. The ration is, apparently, higher for girls being violent than for boys.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1854883/

So 24% of relationships had violence, of those, 50% was reciprocal (so both boys and girls), but that leaves 50% non-reciprocal and that is 70% women being the perpetrator.

That study is only for heterosexual relationships.

Also, this statistic refers only to relationships where a woman was the ONLY physical abuser....that's what 'nonreciprocal' means. We still have to know how common relationships where ONLY the woman is the abuser are. And how many where the ONLY abusers are the males. Then we can see that ratio. OTOH I do agree that such relationships (the former) are under-reported.

In nonreciprocally violent relationships, women were the perpetrators in more than 70% of the cases.

In the long run tho, the data is very very clear that the great majority of violence is perpetrated by men. And it would be great to nip this in the bud in their teen years.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u....coverviewpdf/table_42_arrests_by_sex_2012.xls

If you sort it so that you just have the 'violent' crimes, males are responsible for that in the high 80s%.

Personally I'd like women to not be so passive or accept so much abuse in relationships but I dont think men should either.

Last edited:
So there's a few things to unpack here.

It is true, that female on male domestic violence in general, is massively under reported, it does happen, more often than one would think, personally, I was punched and slapped by a girlfriend on a couple of occasions, but I'm a bit old fashioned and don't really think anything of it, it was a couple of times over a 2 year period and I can't say I didn't do anything to precipitate it, believe me, however I digress.

In reality still, male on female violence is far more widespread, that doesn't discount what some males are experiencing, but its important to point that out, this is one study, not that I have any reason to doubt it, but in general, it remains true that male on female violence, especially in the domestic setting, far outweighs the opposite.

Thirdly one must also understand the motivations of the OP in posting such a study, he's someone with a seething hatred for women and someone who values them as much as he may value a doormat.

Some women are just wild. What are you gonna do?

That study is only for heterosexual relationships.

Also, this statistic refers only to relationships where a woman was the ONLY physical abuser....that's what 'nonreciprocal' means. We still have to know how common relationships where ONLY the woman is the abuser are. And how many where the ONLY abusers are the males. Then we can see that ratio. OTOH I do agree that such relationships (the former) are under-reported.

No...you read that wrong. 50% of the abusive relationships were reciprocal, meaning they both did it. That leaves 50% where it's nonreciprocal, aka "one-way" abuse. In the cases where it is nonreciprocal women composed 70% of the abuse, meaning men were 30%.

It was not only referencing only women abusers.

Here's the problem. It's not a competition. Both men and women can have problems and without invalidating the other.

This is what I don't understand about the mentality of many on the Left, everything has to be this binary fight where there is an oppressor and an oppressed making everything a competition with little to no nuance. You see this play out in multiple avenues of discussion. Remember the Neo-Nazis vs Antifa debate that used to be prominent? If you said both were violent and shouldn't be tolerated in civil society it was almost always met with "Why are you defending Nazis? There is no moral equivalence" as if the idea that violent thugs regardless political ideology shouldn't be acceptable in society is somehow a controversial idea. You seem that same dichotomy playing here where saying violence against men or women should not be acceptable is met with facetious remarks about men being victims which even by their own standards if they thought that logic through is incredibly sexist as it implies the stereotype of the weak and frail woman which is something that as a society we have moved past.

Hmm...that's an odd assertion to make. There are female soldiers and police officers and boxers and rugby players and weight lifters and martial artists... And there are men who can't throw a punch, or lift more than 20lbs. Are you inadvertently using outdated male and female stereotypes in your effort to be progressive? ;)

See my note to Dragonfly...I tend to agree with you, due to the bias I gained through dealing with the abuse of my mother by a stepfather. I'm the last person in the world to be unsympathetic to women, or to downplay their plight. Please understand that, above all else. All I'm trying to do with these points I'm making is to say that abuse of men does happen, society is far less accommodating in those situations, and I'm a hypocrite if I downplay those concerns, while not doing so for women. A slap is a slap, it's against the law, a victim is created. That's the facts. Beyond that, let the cops and the judge figure out the degree to which the offender (whether it be a man or a woman) is punished - let the punishment fit the crime, as the old saying goes.

Why do you hate women?

Just kidding, 100% agree and am amazed how some fail to see something so obvious as violence whether it be against men or women should be intolerable.

Listening and looking at the evidence with an open mind is what you were supposed to do here, in case you were wondering.

There seems to be an equivalence being drawn here between getting a slap in the face at an unwanted advance on the one hand, and violent rape on the other. Am I mistaken?

There seems to be an equivalence being drawn here between getting a slap in the face at an unwanted advance in the one hand, and violent rape on the other. Am I mistaken?

Obviously.

Why do you hate women?

Just kidding, 100% agree and am amazed how some fail to see something so obvious as violence whether it be against men or women should be intolerable.

I think it's a knee jerk reaction...and not the worst knee jerk reaction, it's indicative of the fact that making violence against women a bad thing worked, which is good.

But it does indicate that more conversations need to be had by people not trying to use violence against men to minimize violence against women.

My sense is that women use things like extortion to abuse. Physical force isn't the only option to abuse someone.

Yeah, except extortion is a form of abuse that men are more than capable of using as well, and in a country where men generally earn more money and women are often left to take care of the kids it turns out that extortion is something men are far more likely to actually use.

Part of the reason you see so many shelters being constructed for abused women and their children is that the single biggest factor that keeps a woman in an abusive relationship with a man is that the man has her financially dependent on him. She can't afford her own rent. She can't afford to feed and clothe her own child and that leaves her having to choose between living on the street or staying in an abusive relationship.

Hmm...that's an odd assertion to make. There are female soldiers and police officers and boxers and rugby players and weightlifters and martial artists... And there are men who can't throw a punch, or lift more than 20lbs. Are you inadvertently using outdated male and female stereotypes in your effort to be progressive? ;)
Please. While stereotypes should never be used to deny women an opportunity in any field there is nothing remotely sexist about acknowledging the obvious physical discrepancy between the average male and average female. Virtually every professional sports league on earth establishes a male and female division for this very reason. Even Rhonda Rousey understands that she is no match for the average male UFC fighter, and you're not going to find many of the women you describe dating a man that is significantly weaker. Take the aforementioned Rousey...she's married to a heavyweight UFC fighter. If they ever had a domestic dispute even she would be radically outmatched.

All I'm trying to do with these points I'm making is to say that abuse of men does happen
Nobody is disagreeing with that, but acting like they are remotely equal is nonsensically stupid.

A slap is a slap, it's against the law, a victim is created. That's the facts.
Nonsense. I remember back in college there was a female friend of mine who thought she was pretty tough. Whenever we got drunk she wanted to slap box. Just for fun dinking around she wanted to prove she could take me. She would legitimately try and hit me as hard as she could with open hand slaps. I would largely just block and defend and then every once in a while reach out and tap her upside the head just to prove I could do it. Apparently, she honestly thought I was going 100%. Then one night I must have actually swung a little bit harder than normal. Still maybe 60% of what I could have done. I apparently stung her pretty hard and all of a sudden reality set in. She had never actually had a guy get even close to seriously physical with her. One decently hard slap was all it took for her to not want to play anymore.

No, I'm sorry a slap is not a slap. The damage a woman can do to a typical man with a slap is nothing. An average man can easily give a woman a concussion with even 80% of his full force. Unless a woman has some kind of professional experience or there is a serious reason to think there is a miss match a woman slapping her husband isn't doing any serious damage and if the guy is really trying to stop her he can.

My youngest son experienced this back when he was 13. He still isn't completely over it.

https://www.studyfinds.org/boys-more-victimized-by-teen-dating-violence-than-girls-study-finds/

Some of the comments after the article:

It is purely because they know that some men simply WILL NOT HIT THEM BACK so they take advantage of it. And if any chick is hitting a dude smaller than her (say a woman punching a boy in the face) they need to be treated like a man, legally and physically.

My grandma always told me that if women didnt have to deal with pregnancy their species would have ended up 100 times more savage than men. And some times when I see white trash mammas smacking their boys in the head in public sometimes I feel shes right.

No...you read that wrong. 50% of the abusive relationships were reciprocal, meaning they both did it. That leaves 50% where it's nonreciprocal, aka "one-way" abuse. In the cases where it is nonreciprocal women composed 70% of the abuse, meaning men were 30%.

It was not only referencing only women abusers.

I still dont read that but I'll take your word.

some of those still may be in lesbian relationships tho.

My sense is that women use things like extortion to abuse. Physical force isn't the only option to abuse someone.

Of course we do. Women have never had the strength to abuse physically but since women had so little power in many earlier (and some current) cultures, we had to adapt and find other defensive measures to survive or make changes in families and communities. And yes, unfortunately that can also be abused.

My youngest son experienced this back when he was 13. He still isn't completely over it.

I hope you advised him to get out of the relationship, which is what I'd advise any woman in a similar situation. I dont see how that part's different.

And women dont like to hear that either...

Well, I went to track down one of the statistics quoted and found it. The ration is, apparently, higher for girls being violent than for boys.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1854883/

So 24% of relationships had violence, of those, 50% was reciprocal (so both boys and girls), but that leaves 50% non-reciprocal and that is 70% women being the perpetrator.

It stands to reason that when a girl is taught all her life that a boy can't hit her no matter what they do, they will take advantage of that.

Even as a very young child, my thought on the matter was that if a girl hit me, she was no longer a girl, so I will defend myself.

It never happened, but that is what I thought at the time.

It stands to reason that when a girl is taught all her life that a boy can't hit her no matter what they do, they will take advantage of that.

Even as a very young child, my thought on the matter was that if a girl hit me, she was no longer a girl, so I will defend myself.

It never happened, but that is what I thought at the time.

I call BS on that. Boys hit us in school all the time. And alot of us hit back.

OTOH girls are taught from a very young age to be careful about being alone with men. Were boys taught that? Why not? Girls are taught to be careful around males period. Why is that?

OTOH girls are taught from a very young age to be careful about being alone with men. Were boys taught that? Why not? Girls are taught to be careful around males period. Why is that?

You weren't taught in school that a boy shouldn't hit you?

I don't believe that.

You weren't taught in school that a boy shouldn't hit you?

I don't believe that.

We were not taught 'no matter what' but also my comments referred to the fact that while we were actually taught to fear males to a certain extent...the boys hit us anyway, thus proving the statement untrue.

I still dont read that but I'll take your word.

some of those still may be in lesbian relationships tho.

Possible...I've read some stuff that lesbian relationships have much higher rates of domestic violence than hetro-relationships. However, I don't think the overall numbers would cover the vast 70% vs 30% disparity. I think it's mostly due to societal conditioning. Men are trained to never hit or lay hands on a woman, which isn't necessarily bad. But there is no similar type of societal conditioning for women not to hit or abuse men. In fact, it's usually seen as funny. So men are told to suck things up and not to complain about being abused and women take advantage of the fact that they know their man won't even lay hands on them.

Of course, men are still more aggressive by nature, and also biologically significantly stronger, so when it comes to serious injuries, women still come out on the bad part of that stick. Also the really, really, crazy dudes that will beat or kill a woman just for rejecting him (though I don't think that's common at all). I don't think I've really heard about women killing a man for rejecting her.

On the extreme ends of domestic violence, men will be the majority.

You can call BS on that all you want but boys are most definitely taught not to lay hands on a woman, no matter what. This is especially true when people get older and become adults, because the legal system will lock a man up almost every time in a domestic abuse situation.

You can call BS on that all you want but boys are most definitely taught not to lay hands on a woman, no matter what. This is especially true when people get older and become adults, because the legal system will lock a man up almost every time in a domestic abuse situation.

That's not what I called BS on. It was this:

I hope you advised him to get out of the relationship, which is what I'd advise any woman in a similar situation. I dont see how that part's different.

And women dont like to hear that either...

He was manipulated into keeping it all secret. I would have taken the little bitch's head off had I known about it.

Back
Top Bottom