• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

BoyCott those who are cancel culture advocates. Censorship is un-American and you can't support that with your dollars or with your silence.

Integrityrespec

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
“I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it,” These words in some form are commonly attributed to Voltaire and Patrick Henry. They are part of the cornerstone of American freedom. Anyone who wants to shut that down, to silence the opposition freedom of speech should not be supported. Step u and be heard with your dollars. Don't patronize the corporations, the big tech companies, airlines or any other business that will not stand up in defense of freedom of speech. After all this is the United States of America, for how much longer?

What we need is a definitive list of repeat offenders. Everyone knows 𝐀𝐦𝐚𝐳𝐨𝐧, but who are some lesser knowns?

“I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it,” These words in some form are commonly attributed to Voltaire and Patrick Henry. They are part of the cornerstone of American freedom. Anyone who wants to shut that down, to silence the opposition freedom of speech should not be supported. Step u and be heard with your dollars. Don't patronize the corporations, the big tech companies, airlines or any other business that will not stand up in defense of freedom of speech. After all this is the United States of America, for how much longer?
You are doing this on purpose, right? The irony was intentional, it has to be.

LOL, did you just advocate censoring the censors because you don't like censorship? (by your definition of censorship of course)

Boycotts are bad so boycott the boycotters?

What an incredible self-own.

I actually loved it when the left called for a boycott on Chick-Fil-A and they had lines around the block in response, even running out of chicken. They are now like the number three fast food chain, or close to it. The more the cancel culture cancels, the more upset normal people are and will begin voting the other way again. The trouble with BOTH parties is that whenever they win an election they believe it gives them a mandate to cram their values down the throats of the 100% and Democrats are already off to a good start and Biden hasn't even been handed the keys yet. The more the cancel culture cancels the more they will be canceled themselves.

“I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it,”
"...unless you stop buying junk from people with whom I sympathize politically, in which case you can all go to hell and I'll go to Montana!" - Voltaire

#notmypillow
#notyourwallet
#stopcrying
#getbettercandidates

9DDzHtn.gif

This isn't censorship nor is it cancel culture - which is generally aimed at individuals and not organizations, and is more a form of social ostracism. It's a boycott. I tend to not agree with it - not because I like Lindell or his positions, I emphatically don't - but because the boycott hurts people, his employees, who have nothing to do with his positions.

I actually loved it when the left called for a boycott on Chick-Fil-A and they had lines around the block in response, even running out of chicken. They are now like the number three fast food chain, or close to it.
They are number 8.

This isn't censorship nor is it cancel culture - which is generally aimed at individuals and not organizations, and is more a form of social ostracism. It's a boycott. I tend to not agree with it - not because I like Lindell or his positions, I emphatically don't - but because the boycott hurts people, his employees, who have nothing to do with his positions.
Kinds makes them human shields though.

I actually loved it when the left called for a boycott on Chick-Fil-A and they had lines around the block in response, even running out of chicken. They are now like the number three fast food chain, or close to it. The more the cancel culture cancels, the more upset normal people are and will begin voting the other way again. The trouble with BOTH parties is that whenever they win an election they believe it gives them a mandate to cram their values down the throats of the 100% and Democrats are already off to a good start and Biden hasn't even been handed the keys yet. The more the cancel culture cancels the more they will be canceled themselves.
And cancel culture will cancel your cancelling until there is no more cancelling to cancel and the cancel cuture program can then be cancelled by the cancel culture cancelling operation. Which will itself then be cancelled.

Moderate Republicans need to caucus with moderate Democrats and help Biden govern from the center. Biden is the most moderate president since Bill Clinton. So now is our chance!

Kinds makes them human shields though.
Never thought of it that way but you're right. And in a good economy I probably wouldn't mind nearly as much since people have options. In today's Covid decimated economy there aren't a lot of employment choices.

LOL, did you just advocate censoring the censors because you don't like censorship? (by your definition of censorship of course)
I beleive he advocated boycotting them- not buying their products or using their services. Different then censoring them

Moderate Republicans need to caucus with moderate Democrats and help Biden govern from the center. Biden is the most moderate president since Bill Clinton. So now is our chance!
Vote out Nancy Pelosi and elect Elissa Slotkin as speaker.

Chik Fil A is popular because it’s a well ran company with fast/courteous service and people find the food good. It was burger king I promise you the counter boycott would of lasted a week.

That's a fair point, but if I'm shopping for a pillow, I'll probably buy a pillow, just not that guy's pillow. So that's bad for the MyPillow guy and his company, but good for some other company, and there's a positive and negative impact. I think MyPillow is made in the U.S. so that's a consideration, but assuming that in another pillow I don't see the problem.

And, ultimately, it's the CEO and owner who should be watching out for his company by not making himself BOTH the face of his product AND the face of his nutjob and reckless and IMO dangerous CT bullcrap.

This kind of "social ostracism" works both ways as well. My wife does business with the state through her org, and the state government is solid red. So everyone in the org. is REALLY careful not to be out in front politically, on anything. No yard signs, no donations, etc. Many don't vote in primaries because we have to choose - Democratic or Republican primary. It's important to be neutral so the red state and the red state heads of departments and all that don't see the org or the employees as liberal enemies, etc. If the director all of a sudden decided to be a Bernie Bro and push for Trump's impeachment, called our (IMO) nutjob Sen. Blackburn a nutjob, we would expect that to have a HUGELY negative impact on their ability to serve as what they are - non-partisan consultants that have worked well with Democratic and Republican administrations in states, cities, including Tennessee, for decades.

So, "should" the state of TN and other entities ignore politics when awarding contracts to consultants? Yes, but they don't. That's reality.

My favorite golf balls are made in a very liberal state. (Titleist ProV1)

I seriously doubt that I'll be boycotting the brand any time soon.

Voltaire never said that (the bolded) and neither did Patrick Henry.

Whole thing is equally mis-attributed to one of the letters of Voltaire's to Monsieur Riche (an abbott) "Monsieur l'abbé, je déteste ce que vous écrivez, mais je donnerai ma vie pour que vous puissiez continuer à écrire" in which he didn't write that either.

Nonetheless, it remains a succinct description of Voltaire' views on tolerance, even where Evelyn Beatrice Hall took quite some poetic licence in her book "The Friends of Voltaire".

Doesn't take much to assume what Voltaire would have made of your above supposition, but that's another topic altogether.

No one has the right to a platform. Platforms aren’t speech. Speech is speech.

I beleive he advocated boycotting them- not buying their products or using their services. Different then censoring them
You do realize that the reason that so-called cancel culture is a thing is due to purchasing power, right?

Back
Top Bottom