• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Boycott Citgo

ludahai

Defender of the Faith
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
More evidence Leftists are anti-USA

Common Dreams, a Leftist website, is encouraging people to support Hugo Chavez and his anti-democratic, anti-American regime by encouraging people to purchase gasoline at Citgo. Patriotic Americans should STAY AWAY from Citgo, but this site is more evidence that there is certainly an element of the Leftist movement in the US who simply opposes American interests and supports the likes of Chavez, Castro, Iran, etc. If you support their ilk, join their BUYCott. If you love America, stay away from Citgo.

Re: More evidence Leftists are anti-USA

I support their ilk but i don't drive!

Re: More evidence Leftists are anti-USA

I think, due to the fact that we have been paying out the nose for gasoline, all the while Exxon is setting records for profits, we should all quit buying Exxon gasoline until they change their prices to be below that of all other competetors. Then we should buy nothing BUT Exxon until their competitors come in a a price below theirs. A nice, friendly, gas war would do us Americans good and at the same time, spank the oil industry for taking advantage of a bad situation and gouging the public.

But since our President isn't about anything BUT big oil, I am sure that he, with the help of Mr. Rove and FOXNews, can convince his loyal drones that would be a very bad idea, so there goes half of our boycotters. Talk about anti-american.............:roll:

Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez and the Bush administration are locked in an escalating exchange of criticism and diplomatic slights. In the latest twist, Chavez announced this week he will block Continental Airlines and Delta Air Lines from flying to Caracas until his country's air carriers are given greater access to American airports.

Most U.S. oil companies, however, remain heavily invested in Venezuela, the world's fifth-largest oil exporter. Those companies, including San Ramon's Chevron, have stayed even though Chavez has dramatically raised the royalties and taxes they must pay.
<snip>

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2006/02/25/BUG2IHEGII1.DTL&type=business

I am no Chavez supporter by any means but to be fair, we whine because because China won't open their markets to us, and when we do it to other countries, such as closing our airports to Venezuela, and thus they close theirs to us, we whine again. We should be doing the same thing to China rather than whining about Venezuela doing it to us.

I suspect that Venzuela, much like many middle eastern countries, may be wanting to take a more "hands-on" approach in the dealings of their own natural resourses and garner more control of them. I suspect this really upsets the likes of Halliburton, Exxon, Chevron, Schlumberger, Brown-Root/Kellogg, etc........and we all know who's in the big house right now. So I suspect we can all expect more negative media on these countries in order to get the public on the side of the big oil in the event these other oil producing countries suddenly "hate us for our freedom", (if you catch my drift.:roll: )

Some will buy into it, some will see through it.

And the beat goes on.....

I buy whatever's cheapest...usually that's Gulf or Hess, both American companies(last I checked at least). I wouldn't buy Exxon on a bet mainly on principle, but they also are more money per gallon, as is Getty/Amoco/BP. I think if you have to buy gas, shop around like any other commodity you would purchase, and get the lowest price American based product.

Captain America said:
<snip>

I am no Chavez supporter by any means but to be fair, we whine because because China won't open their markets to us, and when we do it to other countries, such as closing our airports to Venezuela, and thus they close theirs to us, we whine again. We should be doing the same thing to China rather than whining about Venezuela doing it to us.

Our airports were closed to Venezuelan carriers because they didn't meet basic international safety standards.

I suspect that Venzuela, much like many middle eastern countries, may be wanting to take a more "hands-on" approach in the dealings of their own natural resourses and garner more control of them. I suspect this really upsets the likes of Halliburton, Exxon, Chevron, Schlumberger, Brown-Root/Kellogg, etc........and we all know who's in the big house right now. So I suspect we can all expect more negative media on these countries in order to get the public on the side of the big oil in the event these other oil producing countries suddenly "hate us for our freedom", (if you catch my drift.:roll: )

So long as they nationalize legally, that's fine. In fact, it will make easier to boycott Venezuelan oil. It isn't a problem here in Taiwan because Citgo isn't a presence here and according to my research, Taiwan doesn't import oil from VEnezuela.

hmm, now that I think about it.

I'll go fill up my tank at citgo next time..

Seriously, I don't really care.

There's no point in boycotting Citgo. Oil is oil is oil, everywhere in the world. So if Americans buy less Venezuelan oil (without cutting our overall oil consumption), they'll just sell it to someone else for exactly the same price.

Besides, it's not like the alternatives to Venezuelan oil are much better. Russia, Saudi Arabia, Iraq, and Nigeria are hardly pro-American havens.

The only solution is to cut our overall oil consumption and use more alternative sources of energy.

Kandahar said:
There's no point in boycotting Citgo. Oil is oil is oil, everywhere in the world. So if Americans buy less Venezuelan oil (without cutting our overall oil consumption), they'll just sell it to someone else for exactly the same price.

Besides, it's not like the alternatives to Venezuelan oil are much better. Russia, Saudi Arabia, Iraq, and Nigeria are hardly pro-American havens.

The only solution is to cut our overall oil consumption and use more alternative sources of energy.

I agree that we need to cut our dependence on foreign oil and exploit domestic sources in the short term and gear up for alternative renewable sources in the long term.

Still, as much as I don't like NIgeria and Russia, at least their leader isn't actively trying to threaten American interests and cozying up with those who want to destroy Israel. Besides, there are other sources - Indonesia, the North Sea, Canada, Mexico and many others. Chad will soon emerge as an important source as well.

ludahai said:
Citgo is the Venezuelan state owned oil company. Considering the actions of the Hugo Chavez government regarding threats to curtail U.S. carrier flights to Venezuela, threats to cut back oil exports, expressing support for Iran, who just wants to wipe Israel off the map, and getting buddy buddy with Fidel, it's about time to make him realize that he needs the American consumer far more than the United States needs him.

How dare we let them control gasoline stations here on American soil. How dare we let them be in charge of security at these sitting bombs waiting to go off. Why did Bush allow this to happen? We must NEVER allow a foreign company control our automobile ports and threaten our security. Just go to them and see how the arabs are in cahoots and are manning them waiting to strike!!!!!!!!!!

Kandahar said:

Well thought out and on the mark.

:agree

:applaud

i understand that he is anti-american (along with most of the world at the moment) but why is he a dictator in training..lots of the dictators in south america have been US backed in previous generations

Willoughby said:
i understand that he is anti-american (along with most of the world at the moment) but why is he a dictator in training..lots of the dictators in south america have been US backed in previous generations

Simply put, any government figure that goes against the Bush Regime, is either a dictorial, terrorist, commie, or pinko, amongst a plethra of other foul adjectives the Bush supporters can come up with.

But that's so stale and over-used these days that hardly anyone pays attention anymore to that high pitched whine of theirs.

Captain America said:
Simply put, any government figure that goes against the Bush Regime, is either a dictorial, terrorist, commie, or pinko, amongst a plethra of other foul adjectives the Bush supporters can come up with.

But that's so stale and over-used these days that hardly anyone pays attention anymore to that high pitched whine of theirs.

There was a whole thread about Chavez and his regime. No free elections, freedom on the downswing in Venezuela, media oppression, receiving awards from Castro, supporting Iran, etc.

If I could only remember where that thread was....

I've been buying Citgo gasoline a lot lately simply because they offer the cheapest gas in town.

Boycotting Citgo is a nice sentiment, but...

dilbert2006021523379.jpg

In my state of Florida, almost all 7-Eleven Stores offer Citgo gasoline. When you go to 7-Eleven and fill up your tank with Citgo gasoline, you do almost nothing for the U.S. economy. Why? 7-Eleven is majority owned by the Japanese (64%) and Citgo is based in Venezuela. The United States lost a World Trade Organization dispute - brought forth on behalf of Citgo and Venezuela - which challenged our EPA laws. We lost that dispute. Our options were to either face binding penalties from Venezuela or change our clean air laws. President Clinton chose to weaken our clean air laws to accommodate Venezuela’s trampling of U.S. sovereignty. Don’t reward foreign companies that make us change American laws!
Roger Simmermaker, Author
How Americans Can Buy American

http://www.howtobuyamerican.com/content/db/b-db-gasoline.shtml

just a little note here since so many are so concerned with the fact that the Bush family made their money in oil - how do you suppose Jay Rockefeller's family made their money (& I'm guessing they made a little more)?

ludahai said:
So, you are eager to go and support an anti-America dictator-in-training?

Well, can't be any different than buying saudi oil, so that supports oppression..

Not to mention most of our oil is forgein, and is increasingly coming from the middle east and some surrounding countries. So, in the end, does it matter?

I think we need to root out oil as a whole. Otherwise it doesn't matter were it comes from.

Che said:
Chavez is really horrible dictator. He won in a democratic election, and gave away oil for free to poor Americans in New York. terrible person, Chvez :roll:

A democratic election where you control all of the media sources is not democratic. BTW, Freedom House has ranked them as less free in 2005 than they were in 2004.

Arthur Fonzarelli said:

the only way something like this will work is if there is government capital and drive actually put into much needed research.

and legalize hemp, seriously, that could dramatically help us make bio lubes, bio plastics, and other bio products. Not to mention bring home textile manufacturing.

Back
Top Bottom