• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Boy Scouts showing their love for Obama

Thanks for implying that boy scouts don't have a clue about what's going on in the world. I have as much respect for you now as for bobo himself.

You know how many kids were at this event? 45,000. You want to tell me that more than 22,500 knew enough politics to be genuinely upset about it? I doubt if even 5% of them knew Obama was going to be on the View. My implications were simply that if you put 45,000 boys wearing the same uniform together in one place, and you get a handful to start booing, then it can escalate quickly. I'm not saying they're stupid, far from it, they're probably smarter than the average kid. I used to be a Cub Scout myself. All I'm saying is that the majority of them got caught up in the moment.

I went to a Durham Bulls baseball game a few nights ago, and watched two kids near me that were able to get the entire stadium to do the wave a few times around. It doesn't take much to get a group of people to do something.

Obama's not the first president to miss the event, and probably won't be the last. The "outrage" is hilarious.

The last three presidents have made it to at least one, and Obama was indeed the first one to miss the 100th, so maybe the outrage, while overblown, is mostly genuine.

They just **** on their own oath. Pretty pathetic example of their organization.

Let's face it, Grim, nothing Obama does will ever make you happy. Had he showed up, you'd accuse him of 'indoctrination of the uniformed youth'

Your point kind of tanks when you consider that every President in the last 100 years has gone.... EXCEPT 12 of them!

Did you have this much impotent rage when Reagan didn't show??

Your point kind of tanks when you consider that every President in the last 100 years has gone.... EXCEPT 12 of them!

Did you base this off any form of information, or did you just make it up?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Scout_jamboree_(Boy_Scouts_of_America)
The first jamboree was scheduled to be held in 1935 in Washington, D.C. to celebrate the 25th anniversary of Scouting, but was delayed two years.

Seeing as how there have only been 12 presidents since FDR, all of them would have not attended under your statement.

Unfortunately, we know that HW Bush, Clinton, and W Bush have attended before.

In addition, I'm not entirely sure how accurate this next piece is, but it seems fairly reliable, I just don't feel like completely checking each individual case, but if you'd like me to do so I will.

Obama Skips Boy Scout Jamboree: Shows His Lack of Character | The Great Illuminator
1937 Washington, D.C. – President Roosevelt

1950 Valley Forge, Pennsylvania – President Truman

1953 Irvine Ranch, California – President Eisenhower*, VP Nixon attends event

1957 Valley Forge, Pennsylvania – President Eisenhower (greeting read to Scouts due to illness), VP Nixon attends event

1960 Colorado Springs, Colorado – President Eisenhower

1964 Valley Forge, Pennsylvania – President Johnson

1969 Farragut State Park, Idaho – No One (Nixon did not attend but did attend events in 1953 & 1957 as VP)

1973 Farragut State Park, Idaho, and Moraine State Park, Pennsylvania – No One

1977 Moraine State Park, Pennsylvania – No One

1981 Fort A. P. Hill, Virginia – No One

1985 Fort A. P. Hill, Virginia – First Lady Nancy Reagan**

1989 Fort A. P. Hill, Virginia – President Bush (41)

1993 Fort A. P. Hill, Virginia – President Clinton***

1997 Fort A. P. Hill, Virginia – President Clinton

2001 Fort A. P. Hill, Virginia – President Bush (43) – Via Video***

2005 Fort A. P. Hill, Virginia – President Bush (43)

2010 Fort A. P. Hill, Virginia – No one

* Recorded Message

** President Reagan was recuperating from cancer surgery

*** President Bush (43) and Clinton were scheduled to attend but heavy storms forced the cancellation of the visits

shipment-of-fail.jpg

I think the President was rude to snuff the BSA for the view, However, this was not the BSA's best moment.

Eh, I was a scout for years, and I saw this alot from my troop and other troops but behavior also reflects on the adult leadership. Some adult leaders take scouting for the whole 9, others view it as part of bonding with their kid.

I wonder how many people would honestly consider attendance of a "national jamboree" as a qualification for being President, or at least a good President if it was just asked as a general question and outside of this context.

The news outlets didn't consider it news. Not the reputable ones, anyway. I entered "boy scouts boo obama" at news.google.com and next-to-nothing came up.

They booed the crap out of Obama while his recorded message was playing for them. I can't blame them for it either. We have never had such a self absorbed president that is so indifferent to the traditions of America.

Is this kind of behavior what I can expect the Boy Scouts to teach my sons when they get old enough to join?

Yeah, no thanks. They can learn **** like that in school. :lol:

I heard the audio on radio. I couldn't help but laugh even though Glenn Beck thought it was disrepectful coming from boyscouts in uniform. He has a point, but there are some people who don't deserve to be treated with respect. I don't care if he is the president. I don't see him showing any respect for the majority of American people.

It's not about showing respect to the man in the office, it's about showing respect to the office.

They just **** on their own oath. Pretty pathetic example of their organization.

Let's face it, Grim, nothing Obama does will ever make you happy. Had he showed up, you'd accuse him of 'indoctrination of the uniformed youth'

Someone watches The Daily Show ;)

No such thing as original thought. Too many parrots on the panet, and even the good stuff has already been conceived and voiced by someone somewhere.

You didn't think any different, did you?

No such thing as original thought. Too many parrots on the panet, and even the good stuff has already been conceived and voiced by someone somewhere.

as soon as I am done shoving this porcupine quill into my eardrum I am going to pierce my nose with it and hang dead tarantulas from it while I tap dance on a tamale has already been thought?

damn just damn

edit to change orifices and clean it up some

Last edited:
The news outlets didn't consider it news. Not the reputable ones, anyway. I entered "boy scouts boo obama" at news.google.com and next-to-nothing came up.

No surprise. The MSM probably couldn't decide if that would make Obama look bad or the boyscouts look bad. It seems like a mixed bag. They were right in not drawing attention to the great one choosing the view over the boy scouts !00 yr anniversity. Their record is still holding of avoiding reporting anything negative about Obama when they can get away with it.
They'll just say they didn't find in newsworthy.

Yeah, I think the Boy Scouts should have taken the high road. This was very unbecoming. I suspect the scout leaders got them all riled up about this.

Someone watches The Daily Show ;)

You didn't think Hazlnut had an origional thought did you? :ssst:

Was I missing something, or is everyone akin to believing the 12 president figure is accurate, which it most certainly is not.

Wow, really?

How many other sitting Presidents attended the 100th?

:lol:

By my calculations I see none. Although reviewing earlier information made me wonder why at least Biden didn't make it. Years' past showed the VP and First Lady as people to attend in the Prez's absence.

I was just making the point that if you're going to miss one, the 100th is a hella' one to miss

You're looking at a different organization, perhaps the overarching international branch.

I'm looking at the Scouting organisation, not a local branch of it. Americans came to the centennial jamboree in England in 2007.

"The 21st World Scout Jamboree brought together some 28,000 young people – girls and boys, aged between 14 and 17 – and 12,000 adult leaders from more than 150 countries.
It took place from 27 July to 8 August 2007 at Hylands Park, Chelmsford, 50 kilometres to the north-east of London. The 21st World Scout Jamboree was part of the world centenary celebrations of Scouting. "

21st World Scout Jamboree / World Jamboree / World Events / Events / Information & Events / Home - World Organization of the Scout Movement

I'm looking at the Scouting organisation, not a local branch of it. Americans came to the centennial jamboree in England in 2007.

"The 21st World Scout Jamboree brought together some 28,000 young people – girls and boys, aged between 14 and 17 – and 12,000 adult leaders from more than 150 countries.
It took place from 27 July to 8 August 2007 at Hylands Park, Chelmsford, 50 kilometres to the north-east of London. The 21st World Scout Jamboree was part of the world centenary celebrations of Scouting. "

21st World Scout Jamboree / World Jamboree / World Events / Events / Information & Events / Home - World Organization of the Scout Movement

All sort of irrelevant given the fact this deals with the Boy Scouts of America to be honest.

Back
Top Bottom