• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Boy decapitated on Kansas waterslide; passengers claim it was clearly unsafe

Renae

Banned
Suspended
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Boy decapitated on Kansas waterslide; passengers claim it was clearly unsafe | Fox News

[FONT=&quot]Several passengers who rode the waterslide where a 10-year-old boy was decapitated Sunday said that the ride’s Velcro-like straps would come loose, and that at least one lifeguard claimed they were just for show.
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]It's unclear whether the straps on "Verruckt" - German for "insane" - played any role in the death of Caleb Schwab, a Kansas lawmaker's son. Police and the Schlitterbahn WaterPark have yet to explain exactly how Caleb died on the 168-foot-tall ride, which the park said Tuesday would be closed for the remainder of the season.[/FONT]

Just... AWFUL. Seriously. Prayers to the family. Big time.

That's crazy **** right there.

They had something like this at King's Island (near Cincinnati) when I was a kid, except you weren't in a tube. It wasn't quite as tall, but there was definitely the occasional similar tragedy on it, though usually the explanation was that someone tried to stand up and ending up hitting their head on the tube at the end.

Of course, one's risk assessment is usually **** when one is a kid, so I went on the damned thing as many times as I could....

(Similarly, there was a fatal accident on a ride called "The Vortex". What did my friend and I do? Go the second it re-opened and took it for hours straight, since the lines were about 3 minutes long, rather than the usual 40-90m)

They had something like this at King's Island (near Cincinnati) when I was a kid, except you weren't in a tube. It wasn't quite as tall, but there was definitely the occasional similar tragedy on it, though usually the explanation was that someone tried to stand up and ending up hitting their head on the tube at the end.

Of course, one's risk assessment is usually **** when one is a kid, so I went on the damned thing as many times as I could....

(Similarly, there was a fatal accident on a ride called "The Vortex". What did my friend and I do? Go the second it re-opened and took it for hours straight, since the lines were about 3 minutes long, rather than the usual 40-90m)

It was reported the minimum age for this ride was 13 but somebody let the 10 year old ride.

They are building these big water slides all over the world. This is hardly an extreme example:

Doesn't even look that radical.

Poor kid, poor parents. :(

It was reported the minimum age for this ride was 13 but somebody let the 10 year old ride.

Don't they usually do it by height, not age?

Tragedy nonetheless.

Back in the early 90's I was a lifeguard at Water Country, a large water park in Williamsburg Va. I had parents cuzz me out and offer me cash almost daily to allow their too small child to ride some of the slides. I would be a liar if I said I never took any cash, but 16 year olds aren't know for their decision making skills.

Not saying this is what happend here.

Horrible.

It's strange...before being a parent, news like this was just meh, for me. A human died on a water slide. Meanwhile, 50 humans died of stroke, or wrecks, etc.

Being a parent now....all I can say is, more than one life ended when that happened.

Fox News reported he died of a broken neck, not being decapitated.

I wonder which is true.

TIME says they were told by police he was decapitated:

Police confirmed to TIME on Tuesday that the boy was decapitated in the accident. He was found dead at the bottom of the ride in a pool.
Witness Kelsey Friedrichsen said she was about to ride the waterslide when she saw emergency responders below covering the boy and attending to the two injured. “It looked like he must have somehow been ejected from his seat, bounced around between the netting and the slide and just slid down,”
Caleb Schwab: What We Know About the Water Slide Death

Fox News reported he died of a broken neck, not being decapitated.

I wonder which is true.

It could be internal decapitation- like the head not separating from the body but nevertheless the neck bone is severed. Poor kid. My heart goes out to his family.

Let me guess, Kansas under the new WE HATE GOVERNMENT regime no longer pays much attention to these sorts of things....you know approving them, or inspecting them, so people die.

I have not read into this story a lick, but that is what I expect to find if I do.

I have not decided if I care enough to do that yet.

But I will run my mouth for Y'all.

:cowboy:

Velcro like straps?!

That should be a conventional harness with a buckle

Dont jump to conclusions now, that might be an approved product. We need to hear factually that it is not either approved not standard practice in the industry.

Broken neck.

"Decapitation" usually means that they found the head and the body in different places. I'd think it would be pretty clear if that happened.

"Decapitation" usually means that they found the head and the body in different places. I'd think it would be pretty clear if that happened.

No kidding!!

It certainly does not require Sherlock Holmes.

Back
Top Bottom