• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Both parties fail to respond to signals in the political marketplace

Lovebug

Be humble and kind
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
"Trump can claim some unique policy successes -- tax cuts and immigration policies that channeled economic gains disproportionately to low-wage workers, development and approval of COVID vaccines months before "experts" thought possible."

Yeah, right. Tax cuts that clearly favor the rich and large corps to the tune of trillions$ the author pretends favors those with less and the avg American, and that Trump himself is the one that got the COVID vaccine developed sooner than would have happened under any other prez, though would actually have happened under any other prez sleeping through the entire process. A bogus premise. Perpetuation of falsehood.

I was just wondering what an ancient white conservative columnist thought about the state of our country.

I came across the following while strolling around the internet. Any thoughts on the matter?

I like it and think it is very true. Especially the last paragraph.

"Democrats have been allowing players with adolescent mindsets to determine their policies, and Republicans have been embracing a leader with adolescent behavior control problems. It's time for the parties to grow up and pay attention to the signals and cues voters are sending them in the political marketplace."

I also agree the Democrats are probably in good shape as long as Trump is the face of the Republican Party and continues to try to hog the media spotlight. Independents which according to Gallup, make up 44% as of 18 Jun 2021 of the electorate don't like Trump much. That gives the Democrats an advantage heading into 2022 as long as Trump remains front and centered face of the GOP. I find it very weird that the Republicans would still be sticking with Trump instead of moving on to a fresh face, new ideas, coming up with a vision for America that could change their standing among the public as a whole, especially independents.

It seems to me the Republicans are unwilling to admit they're the smaller of the two major parties and that they need to win the independent vote or lose the election. It doesn't take a political rocket scientist to figure this out. Yet, they're sticking with the one man who drove independents into supporting Democrats. That's just plain crazy from an election point of view. That is if you want to win elections.

The cracks are there in certain issues where the Democrats are under water with America at large. But as long as Trump remains the face of the GOP, the voting public, independents in particular aren't paying that much attention to these issues or the policies of the Democrats. They're still fixated on Trump. Biden so far, 6 months into his presidency is still in the honeymoon phase only because he isn't Trump.

Oh well, keeping Trump front and centered is a Republican Party problem. If they want the public at large, independents especially to begin paying attention to Democratic party policy and their agenda, they need to lose Trump. Then come up with a vision for America, some new ideas and solutions to our problems. A remake is needed. They're not doing that. But that's totally up to the Republicans.

I like it and think it is very true. Especially the last paragraph.

"Democrats have been allowing players with adolescent mindsets to determine their policies, and Republicans have been embracing a leader with adolescent behavior control problems. It's time for the parties to grow up and pay attention to the signals and cues voters are sending them in the political marketplace."

I also agree the Democrats are probably in good shape as long as Trump is the face of the Republican Party and continues to try to hog the media spotlight. Independents which according to Gallup, make up 44% as of 18 Jun 2021 of the electorate don't like Trump much. That gives the Democrats an advantage heading into 2022 as long as Trump remains front and centered face of the GOP. I find it very weird that the Republicans would still be sticking with Trump instead of moving on to a fresh face, new ideas, coming up with a vision for America that could change their standing among the public as a whole, especially independents.

It seems to me the Republicans are unwilling to admit they're the smaller of the two major parties and that they need to win the independent vote or lose the election. It doesn't take a political rocket scientist to figure this out. Yet, they're sticking with the one man who drove independents into supporting Democrats. That's just plain crazy from an election point of view. That is if you want to win elections.

The cracks are there in certain issues where the Democrats are under water with America at large. But as long as Trump remains the face of the GOP, the voting public, independents in particular aren't paying that much attention to these issues or the policies of the Democrats. They're still fixated on Trump. Biden so far, 6 months into his presidency is still in the honeymoon phase only because he isn't Trump.

Oh well, keeping Trump front and centered is a Republican Party problem. If they want the public at large, independents especially to begin paying attention to Democratic party policy and their agenda, they need to lose Trump. Then come up with a vision for America, some new ideas and solutions to our problems. A remake is needed. They're not doing that. But that's totally up to the Republicans.
Good point about dems benefitting from Trump's continued braying. I fear that the next election will be another lost cause for independent voters.

Good point about dems benefitting from Trump's continued braying. I fear that the next election will be another lost cause for independent voters.
2016 was a lost election for independents, 54% disliked and didn't want neither Trump nor Clinton to become the next president. It was as if both major parties scrounged the bottom of the barrel looking for the most disliked and unwanted candidates.

2024 could be the same if early indications are correct.

like it and think it is very true. Especially the last paragraph.

Yeah, like John Lewis.

Back
Top Bottom