• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Boston Globe's full front page: AR-15 and three words 'Make It Stop'

MickeyW

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
In Thursday's striking front page editorial, the newspaper displays an assault rifle, which takes up the entirety of the front cover.
To the right of the picture of the gun are the words, "Make It Stop" with the word "Stop" in red lettering.The Boston newspaper displays the gun at its actual size along with the actual size of the gun's bullet entry as well.

Boston Globe's full front page: AR-15 and three words 'Make It Stop' - Jun. 15, 2016

And the Loony left fixates on the gun.....what ignorance and misdirection.

In Thursday's striking front page editorial, the newspaper displays an assault rifle, which takes up the entirety of the front cover.
To the right of the picture of the gun are the words, "Make It Stop" with the word "Stop" in red lettering.The Boston newspaper displays the gun at its actual size along with the actual size of the gun's bullet entry as well.

Boston Globe's full front page: AR-15 and three words 'Make It Stop' - Jun. 15, 2016

I remember when the globe did that with pressure cookers after the Boston marathon bombing, Oh wait...

I remember when the globe did that with pressure cookers after the Boston marathon bombing, Oh wait...

Exactly.

Normally, I would post a LMAO emoticon....but this is very serious and no longer a laughing matter. The Loony Left are coming out of their tree with hysteria, lies and make believe!

Number of people killed with pressure cookers: Six.

Number of people killed by firearms: Thousands upon thousands upon thousands.

False equivalency alert! Now, I'm not necessarily on board with the "ban every gun that looks scary" movement, but Christ, at least TRY to come up with a legitimate argument.

False equivalency alert! Now, I'm not necessarily on board with the "ban every gun that looks scary" movement, but Christ, at least TRY to come up with a legitimate argument.

The ban being talked about is on "assault weapons" whatever those are not all firearms and besides pressure cookers there have been plenty killed by IEDs

False analogy alert! Maybe you should actually come into a thread with an actual argument for once and then you might know what a real argument looks like.

The ban being talked about is on "assault weapons" whatever those are not all firearms

Did I say "all firearms"? No, I did not. So please try to steer your responses back to things that are relevant to the OP.

and besides pressure cookers there have been plenty killed by IEDs

Shockingly enough, very few Americans have been killed by IEDs.

False analogy alert! Maybe you should actually come into a thread with an actual argument for once and then you might know what a real argument looks like.

I wasn't making an analogy, I was responding to YOUR comparison of pressure cookers to AR-15s.

You have numerous decent arguments in your favor regarding not banning weapons like AR-15s. Use one instead of saying something stupid, like you did.

The number of people killed by AR-15s is not thousands upon thousands.

Murder Statistics - Monderno

I think someone should inform Frank Pallotta at CNN that AR-15s are not assault rifles. Assault weapon and assault rifle are not synonymous terms.

Boston will always be Boston. I am so glad that I do not live there anymore.

I wish my beloved Red Sox would move to Virginia Beach. ;)

Possibly.There are air guns that can take out large animals.Although I would think those would be classified as whatever configuration they are.Like a bb handgun would be a handgun and a bb rifle would be a rifle.

Hunting With Big-Bore Airguns - Grand View Outdoors

That's what I was thinking. There really are just two categories that all types of guns fall under. Handgun and rifle.

And the Loony left fixates on the gun.....what ignorance and misdirection.

There hasn't been a major school shooting in awhile, so they couldn't spew their political vomit. And then Orlando happened and the Left got an instant anti-gun erection and ran to the nearest microphone to "express their outrage at gun violence", and so now they feel better.

Here's one:

Take away AR15s and increase use of pressure cookers and other explosive devices. Bad guys will still accomplish what they want to accomplish.

Here's another, a citizen can often times defend themselves from a maniac with a gun, there is no defense from a bomber.

Has anyone besides me noticed that newspaper editors are getting more strident and apocalyptic as they notice with the rise of Trump that few people take them seriously anymore? They are dying as an industry and as a force within this collective, and seem to notice. Their "solution" is to yell louder.

The ban being talked about is on "assault weapons" whatever those are not all firearms and besides pressure cookers there have been plenty killed by IEDs

People talk about a lot of things. The actual legislation being put forth doesn't ban any type of weapon. It just stops people on the terrorist watch list from being able to buy weapons without further review.

Now, I know the argument. "If we stop suspected terrorists from buying guns instantly today than tomorrow they may stop you and me from being able to buy guns instantly." I am not overly concerned about that particular slippery slope argument because us gun owners make up a pretty big voting block. The suspected terrorist voting block doesn't hold quite as much sway.

Has anyone besides me noticed that newspaper editors are getting more strident and apocalyptic as they notice with the rise of Trump that few people take them seriously anymore? They are dying as an industry and as a force within this collective, and seem to notice. Their "solution" is to yell louder.

Yes, I've noticed.

That's what I was thinking. There really are just two categories that all types of guns fall under. Handgun and rifle.

I disagree.

I would break "rifles" down in to semi-automatic and automatic rifles, I'd add the machine gun category (in to which I would probably include submachine guns) as being separate from rifles of any sort, and I would add shotguns as a distinct class of firearm as well.

I've found that very occasionally in discussions with people who support so kind of "assault rifle" ban that the more rational and thoughtful among them are simply ignorant of what the laws are actually seeking to ban and while they remain opposed to prohibitions on automatic rifles and machine guns they're receptive to the idea of semi-automatic rifle ownership.

They lump AR style and other semi-automatic rifles in with automatic rifles because they have a similar outward appearance and then aggregate them all in the machine gun category when technically neither really belongs there.

Last edited:

Lots of good Americans are buying lots of AR 15s now

the more the better. The turd in chief is whining about guns again

People talk about a lot of things. The actual legislation being put forth doesn't ban any type of weapon. It just stops people on the terrorist watch list from being able to buy weapons without further review.

Now, I know the argument. "If we stop suspected terrorists from buying guns instantly today than tomorrow they may stop you and me from being able to buy guns instantly." I am not overly concerned about that particular slippery slope argument because us gun owners make up a pretty big voting block. The suspected terrorist voting block doesn't hold quite as much sway.

True.

number of people killed with AR 15s (the killer in Orlando did not use an AR 15 BTW) are less than the number of people killed by beatings

or knives

or clubs

each year.

Now the turd is calling that a "weapon of war

how many lies will the gun banning left accept from the liar in chief

Lots of good Americans are buying lots of AR 15s now

the more the better. The turd in chief is whining about guns again

Yep.

I disagree.

I would break "rifles" down in to semi-automatic and automatic rifles, I'd add the machine gun category as being separate from rifles of any sort, and I would add shotguns as a distinct class of firearm.

I agree on shotguns.

I disagree.

I would break "rifles" down in to semi-automatic and automatic rifles, I'd add the machine gun category as being separate from rifles of any sort, and I would add shotguns as a distinct class of firearm.

do you know how many Americans have been killed or maimed by legally owned machine guns in the hands of private American citizens in the last 80 years?

Back
Top Bottom