• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every persons position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

BOSTON COLLAGE $42000 per year

freedom69714

Banned
Joined
Jan 14, 2005
Messages
211
Reaction score
2
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
News just in Boston Collage $42,000 per year this is NUTS $42.000 TIME $ equal $168,000 No COLLAGE REALLY gives you BRAINS I / you can not count the people who made it in LIFE with NO COLLAGE or at best only a STATE COLLAGE.

i.e My BROTHER Graduated from HARVARD!!.

HE works for a guy I'm not sure either he never finish HIGH SCHOOL or MAYBE he did !!. HOWEVER my HARVARD educated brother is working for him

He has large office parks in FLORIDA he also builds roads for the STATE of FLORIDA !.
He's A multi MILLIONAIR 10 / 100 time over !!

So if I did have a Child and I could AFFORD to pay $168,000 to get him / her into B.C I would put him /her into UMASS for about $8000-$9000 then take $120,000 and make a deposit on a house RENT IT out for the 4 years he / she Goes to school .

If He /She has the brains they will do just as good as any B.C GRAD would


I also have a niece Yes she did go to collage but not a IVY league one !.
She Started out as a starwades for a Yacht company called Sacks on a 160 FOOT yacht !!
AND TODAY SHE OWNS THE COMPANY !!

So Collage had nothing to do with it !!

Just a lot of GUTS and HARD WORK!!

POWER TO THE PEOPLE
FREEDOM69
 

shuamort

Pundit-licious
DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 4, 2005
Messages
7,297
Reaction score
1,000
Location
Saint Paul, MN
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
Well, art is expensive. Last weekend I was at the Art Institute in Chicago and while looking at a Picasso.... Oh. Wait. College, not collage. Gotcha. LOL

There is a solution for making the price of public universities cheaper. Raise the taxes. If you don't like it, you really have no room to complain.

Of course, higher education doesn't guarantee any sort of pecuniary success, but the odds are better. And, I'd prefer my doctor/lawyer/accountant/barber have more than a high school education.
 

freedom69714

Banned
Joined
Jan 14, 2005
Messages
211
Reaction score
2
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
SAY WHAT RAISE TAXES !! ?? !! ?? it's seem you didn't get MY POINT I can give you hundreds of STORE'S of people who HAVE and ARE MAKING it no COLLAGE and many more are making it with a LOW / MEDIUM STATE PRICED COLLAGE !!

i.e My brother graduated FROM HARVARD he works for a guy who GOT a GED
and he's a MULTI MILLIAIR my niece owns a company called SACKS YACHT CARTERS and she only went to a state COLLAGE

:duel :duel :argue
 

Pacridge

DP Veteran
Joined
Nov 14, 2004
Messages
3,918
Reaction score
9
Location
Pacific Northwest US
All well and good. One can find examples of people who made good without education just like you can find people that have failed in businesses with degrees from Ivy League schools. Bush went to two separate Ivy league schools and all of his business ventures are reported to have failed. So? Now he's President of the US. Sounds successful to me.

Bottom line is it's more difficult to be successful in business or any endeavor without attending college. Not impossible, just more difficult.
 

HighSpeed

Member
Joined
Feb 7, 2005
Messages
72
Reaction score
1
Location
Chicago, IL
Pacridge said:
All well and good. One can find examples of people who made good without education just like you can find people that have failed in businesses with degrees from Ivy League schools. Bush went to two separate Ivy league schools and all of his business ventures are reported to have failed. So? Now he's President of the US. Sounds successful to me.

Bottom line is it's more difficult to be successful in business or any endeavor without attending college. Not impossible, just more difficult.
It helps when you know people in high places, ask GW.
 

Pacridge

DP Veteran
Joined
Nov 14, 2004
Messages
3,918
Reaction score
9
Location
Pacific Northwest US
HighSpeed said:
It helps when you know people in high places, ask GW.
Just what are you trying to say? I know from watching Fox News and listening to Rush- W's just a Good Ol' Boy like the rest of us.
 

freedom69714

Banned
Joined
Jan 14, 2005
Messages
211
Reaction score
2
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Hi Highspeed Please do me a favor if you are going to put some thing into the forum please try to make it your own idea's please do not be A Pete Repeat
A mined is A Horrible thing to waste :D :rolleyes: ........I think you all miss my point ...It's not the IVY league collage that makes you a winner It's you.

Look I know you love BUSH but enough is enough

Just some facts
Freedom69
 

ShamMol

Only Way Round is Through
DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 24, 2005
Messages
1,988
Reaction score
10
Location
Pasadena, California
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Freedom69 said:
SAY WHAT RAISE TAXES ! ? ! ? it's seem you didn't get MY POINT I can give you hundreds of STORE'S of people who HAVE and ARE MAKING it no COLLAGE and many more are making it with a LOW / MEDIUM STATE PRICED COLLAGE !

i.e My brother graduated FROM HARVARD he works for a guy who GOT a GED
and he's a MULTI MILLIAIR my niece owns a company called SACKS YACHT CARTERS and she only went to a state COLLAGE

:duel :duel :argue
well, the problem is to succeed in what I want to do, college is a necessity. If you want to go into many professions, college is a necessity and one that you can't avoid, so to attend one of the better schools, people are going to be willing to pay that...
 

anomaly

Anti-Capitalist
DP Veteran
Joined
Jan 20, 2005
Messages
1,020
Reaction score
6
Location
IN
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
ShamMol said:
well, the problem is to succeed in what I want to do, college is a necessity. If you want to go into many professions, college is a necessity and one that you can't avoid, so to attend one of the better schools, people are going to be willing to pay that...
The thing is that you can get the same quality of education, and therefore the jobs, if you go to that cheaper state college instead of one of these expensive schools.
 

ShamMol

Only Way Round is Through
DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 24, 2005
Messages
1,988
Reaction score
10
Location
Pasadena, California
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
anomaly said:
The thing is that you can get the same quality of education, and therefore the jobs, if you go to that cheaper state college instead of one of these expensive schools.

unfortunately no. let me explain. It all starts on where you go to college. If you go to a good college and get good grades, you can get into a first tier law school. If you graduate from a first tier law school, you can get a job easy, second tier only the best go on, and third tier usually don't succeed in the law world. so it all starts off with the school you go to for college, and frankly, the state schools have been going downhill with the education since budget cuts in California, so I will take a pass.
 

anomaly

Anti-Capitalist
DP Veteran
Joined
Jan 20, 2005
Messages
1,020
Reaction score
6
Location
IN
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
ShamMol said:
unfortunately no. let me explain. It all starts on where you go to college. If you go to a good college and get good grades, you can get into a first tier law school. If you graduate from a first tier law school, you can get a job easy, second tier only the best go on, and third tier usually don't succeed in the law world. so it all starts off with the school you go to for college, and frankly, the state schools have been going downhill with the education since budget cuts in California, so I will take a pass.
Oh, you want to be a lawyer...well, have fun with that, but I can see what your saying. But if one does not want to be a lawyer, then my previous post stands.
 

freedom69714

Banned
Joined
Jan 14, 2005
Messages
211
Reaction score
2
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
This is only 1/2 true the cream alway floats to the top. So if you are good you will get noticed . I would like to get some data on which CEO'S gave up from IVY league collages and which from high schools and State or Middle league collages


Freedom69
 

ShamMol

Only Way Round is Through
DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 24, 2005
Messages
1,988
Reaction score
10
Location
Pasadena, California
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Freedom69 said:
This is only 1/2 true the cream alway floats to the top. So if you are good you will get noticed . I would like to get some data on which CEO'S gave up from IVY league collages and which from high schools and State or Middle league collages


Freedom69

I would like to see that too, but those people are success stories. To get hired by companies now, you have to have a great education, and at a lot of state schools, you just can't get that anymore.
 

Schweddy

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
DP Veteran
Joined
May 19, 2004
Messages
12,177
Reaction score
6,280
Location
Plano, TX
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
ShamMol said:
To get hired by companies now, you have to have a great education, and at a lot of state schools, you just can't get that anymore.
I am not convinced that is a true to life statment.

Experience + Education (community college to Ivy League) is worth it's weight in gold.

Whereas education only [Ivy or elsewhere] doesn't amount to much.
 

ShamMol

Only Way Round is Through
DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 24, 2005
Messages
1,988
Reaction score
10
Location
Pasadena, California
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
vauge said:
I am not convinced that is a true to life statment.

Experience + Education (community college to Ivy League) is worth it's weight in gold.

Whereas education only [Ivy or elsewhere] doesn't amount to much.

And I am not convinced of that statement. Where have all of our previous presidents gone to. Yale? Georgetown? Harvard? I don't here a California State Long Beach there. True, SOME Ceos are successful because they have intrinsic skills and not a world class education, but they are one in a million.

Experience gets you your second job, but you need the credentials to get your first.
 

-jess-

New member
Joined
Mar 14, 2005
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
In My Opinion, I think that it is pointless to go to a college unless you are sent there on a scholarship. What is the point in spending 42,000 a year on a Education that people have made million without. It's very pointless, and the money that you make from that deploma will probably just be turned around and used to pay for your loan during the first few years of your job. Your better off, going back and trying to get a scholarship or trying to make it with only a High School Education, and normally I think the only reason why the money average for people in this catagory is so low is because stoners and alchoholics are usually in the catagory, so they automatically lower this percentage of success heavily...
 

freedom69714

Banned
Joined
Jan 14, 2005
Messages
211
Reaction score
2
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Hey Vauge your pretty good at doing research at least your better than I am lets do some research on the top 2500 top American corporation and look at the CEO'S and board executive and see how many have IVY league and how many have either a Good Mid level collage, or a good state collage ,

Look at Dave Thomas founder and CEO of Wendy's , How about Kernel Sanders MR Kentucky fried chicken himself . And please do not forget Mr Bergeron of Bergeron Property's in Ft. Lauderdale FLA

I'll help you do the research if you will help teach me how to do it

P.S I did see some thing on Google that said 35% of CEO had a IVY league education however that means 65% did not

Lets work together and do a great research project


Thanks
Freedom69
Thanks freedom69
 

ShamMol

Only Way Round is Through
DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 24, 2005
Messages
1,988
Reaction score
10
Location
Pasadena, California
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Freedom69 said:
Hey Vauge your pretty good at doing research at least your better than I am lets do some research on the top 2500 top American corporation and look at the CEO'S and board executive and see how many have IVY league and how many have either a Good Mid level collage, or a good state collage ,

Look at Dave Thomas founder and CEO of Wendy's , How about Kernel Sanders MR Kentucky fried chicken himself . And please do not forget Mr Bergeron of Bergeron Property's in Ft. Lauderdale FLA

I'll help you do the research if you will help teach me how to do it

P.S I did see some thing on Google that said 35% of CEO had a IVY league education however that means 65% did not

Lets work together and do a great research project


Thanks
Freedom69
Thanks freedom69

Just FYI, just because it ain't Ivy (and Boston College is not) does not mean that it is a state college...just clarifying that before you guys start your research (which I would love to help on cause in fact I have just been hearing back from some of those colleges, so it would be interesting).

I am betting though, that basically (and I clarify that there are probably some, but you know what I am saying) no CEO graduated from a school like...say...Cal State Fullerton
 

RightinNYC

Girthless
DP Veteran
Joined
Mar 21, 2005
Messages
25,894
Reaction score
12,484
Location
New York, NY
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
Here's the thing:

To be a successful CEO, it requires creativity, brains, and a lot of other things, some of which aren't found in college.

In almost ANY other high-paying professional job, college is a necessity.

Only 35% of CEO's might be Ivy Leaguers, but I bet 95% of COO's, CFO's, Executive VP's, and Chief Counsel's are...

If you don't want to pay 42,000 for College, don't. That simple. Almost nobody actually PAYS that much, and the ones who do can afford to go anywhere anyways. NYU is the most expensive University on the planet, but I don't pay full price or anywhere near it.

I would also hope that most people who attend college could spell it.
 

ShamMol

Only Way Round is Through
DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 24, 2005
Messages
1,988
Reaction score
10
Location
Pasadena, California
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
RightatNYU said:
Here's the thing:

To be a successful CEO, it requires creativity, brains, and a lot of other things, some of which aren't found in college.

In almost ANY other high-paying professional job, college is a necessity.

Only 35% of CEO's might be Ivy Leaguers, but I bet 95% of COO's, CFO's, Executive VP's, and Chief Counsel's are...

If you don't want to pay 42,000 for College, don't. That simple. Almost nobody actually PAYS that much, and the ones who do can afford to go anywhere anyways. NYU is the most expensive University on the planet, but I don't pay full price or anywhere near it.

I would also hope that most people who attend college could spell it.

Exactly, you don't need to pay that much off the bat per year. I have been getting into colleges for the past few weeks, and each one has offered me some merit-based and financial-based scholarship money to lower the cost so that I could attend.
 

RightinNYC

Girthless
DP Veteran
Joined
Mar 21, 2005
Messages
25,894
Reaction score
12,484
Location
New York, NY
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
ShamMol said:
Exactly, you don't need to pay that much off the bat per year. I have been getting into colleges for the past few weeks, and each one has offered me some merit-based and financial-based scholarship money to lower the cost so that I could attend.
Congratulations, best of luck to you!

Some advice, do with it what you will: Look for outside scholarships even now, don't think you can't win them.

I was stupid and didn't put in the effort, one of my friends here at NYU got half her college paid for by random scholarships. Daughters of Am. Revolution, American Legion, Lefthanded stuff, Jewish stuff, all sorts of crap.
 

ShamMol

Only Way Round is Through
DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 24, 2005
Messages
1,988
Reaction score
10
Location
Pasadena, California
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
RightatNYU said:
Congratulations, best of luck to you!

Some advice, do with it what you will: Look for outside scholarships even now, don't think you can't win them.

I was stupid and didn't put in the effort, one of my friends here at NYU got half her college paid for by random scholarships. Daughters of Am. Revolution, American Legion, Lefthanded stuff, Jewish stuff, all sorts of crap.
Oh, I have, found two really good ones and a lawfirm that I worked for set one up for me through a donation system, get me about 2000 a year, so that made me happy.
 

RightinNYC

Girthless
DP Veteran
Joined
Mar 21, 2005
Messages
25,894
Reaction score
12,484
Location
New York, NY
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
ShamMol said:
Oh, I have, found two really good ones and a lawfirm that I worked for set one up for me through a donation system, get me about 2000 a year, so that made me happy.
That's fantastic! Best of luck in everything.
 

Contrarian

Active member
Joined
Dec 28, 2004
Messages
335
Reaction score
5
Location
The Constitution State - Connecticut
The idea of college is not to train you for a job, it is to develop your mind for critical thought. The difference between the achievers and the non-achievers in this society is a quality education. Only 20% of the high school graduates ever complete college. Only 5% graduate from top tier universities like Harvard, Yale, BC, BU, NYU, etc. These people have a distinct advantage over the others. If you think otherwise you are only fooling yourself. If an absolute idiot with a Harvard MBA walks into a job interview... he will get the job before anyone else regardless of the other candidates credentials... just ask "W"...
 
Top Bottom