• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Boston Accents, Courtesy of Ben Affleck

BDBoop

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Too funny. Adorable, according to Jimmy Kimmel.

Thank god my Bahston accent isn't like any of the ones Affleck said. Mine is wicked sick.

It is a little bit stronger than Matt Damon's in Good Will Hunting (amazing movie by the way). Or so I have been told.

Awesome! What about Dicky, the guy Ben was talking to. In that vicinity?

It is a little bit stronger than Matt Damon's in Good Will Hunting (amazing movie by the way). Or so I have been told.
That movie changed my life. Love it!

Awesome! What about Dicky, the guy Ben was talking to. In that vicinity?

Sort of. Although when I say brother or bro it doesn't sound as negative. I want to go back down to Southie and pick up the Irish Boston accent.

That movie changed my life. Love it!

Yeah it totally is the best movie that took place in Boston in my opinion. I never get tired of seeing it.

I only saw it the once, and that was years after it was released. I should watch it again.

Care to share specifics? It sure changed their lives! :)
Well, one of my best friends from high school was back from the Naval Academy after either his plebe summer or over some break or other (I can't remember which), and we went and saw that movie together when it first came out. Remember this scene?

After that scene, my friend leaned over to me and said he wants to come home one day and find that I'm not here. That was the kick in the pants I needed to go and make something of myself instead of staying there in the same small town and doing the same **** everyone else was doing.

One of the greatest scene in the entire movie.

Well, one of my best friends from high school was back from the Naval Academy after either his plebe summer or over some break or other (I can't remember which), and we went and saw that movie together when it first came out. Remember this scene?

After that scene, my friend leaned over to me and said he wants to come home one day and find that I'm not here. That was the kick in the pants I needed to go and make something of myself instead of staying there in the same small town and doing the same **** everyone else was doing.

You just made my day. That scene reminded me of why that movie was so ****ing great. Did you ever tell your friend he made the difference?

You just made my day. That scene reminded me of why that movie was so ****ing great. Did you ever tell your friend he made the difference?
Nah, he knew it would.

It's amazing to me that there are people I went to elementary school with who live in that same small town, sent their kids to that same small school, and have never left. They never went to college, never moved, they've never really seen anything but that podunk little town. I see them on facebook, and they're working at the post office, or the local stop n shop, and that's how their lives turned out.

So was this how you envisioned your friend reacting?

I don't remember how I thought it would play out. That seems like two lifetimes ago ...

It's amazing to me that there are people I went to elementary school with who live in that same small town, sent their kids to that same small school, and have never left. They never went to college, never moved, they've never really seen anything but that podunk little town. I see them on facebook, and they're working at the post office, or the local stop n shop, and that's how their lives turned out.
I know. I see them on my Facebook too. I guess they're satisfied ... ? Maybe they don't know any different. It's just funny how some people just seem to be frozen in the same situation and mentality they were in the day they graduated from high school. Maybe it's a comfort thing?

I know. I see them on my Facebook too. I guess they're satisfied ... ? Maybe they don't know any different. It's just funny how some people just seem to be frozen in the same situation and mentality they were in the day they graduated from high school. Maybe it's a comfort thing?

Generational, I see it in my hometown. We didn't move there until 8th grade, so I was never 'one of them'.

Sort of. Although when I say brother or bro it doesn't sound as negative. I want to go back down to Southie and pick up the Irish Boston accent.

Yeah it totally is the best movie that took place in Boston in my opinion. I never get tired of seeing it.

Dont forget The Departed! :thumbs: I was rewatching GWH one night, and really kept thinking of my son & the difficulties he's faced already (nothing like Will's though) and how he derives strength from math. Then how he goes and sabotages himself. BTW, he'll probably go to BU when he's of college age. It made me look at the movie much differently, and it was already a great movie IMO. I think Damon does a great job with the accent.

Maybe they're just happy that way? :shrug: I can't imagine doing that, but some people like it I s'pose.

Dont forget The Departed! :thumbs: I was rewatching GWH one night, and really kept thinking of my son & the difficulties he's faced already (nothing like Will's though) and how he derives strength from math. Then how he goes and sabotages himself. BTW, he'll probably go to BU when he's of college age. It made me look at the movie much differently, and it was already a great movie IMO. I think Damon does a great job with the accent.

I thought both he and Ben were natives of the area.

Oh The Departed was a great movie as well, but I personally just liked Good Will Hunting more. That is awesome about your son, I have absolutely loved my time at BU and hope to continue it by going to Law School there. And yeah Damon did a great job with the accent, but if he didn't I would have been ashamed given how much time both he and Affleck spend in the city. Also at least it wasn't nearly as bad as the accents in Thirteen Days.

Back
Top Bottom