• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Boris Johnson: UK's Next PM?

Hmmmmmmmmm.....

She was as non committal a "Bremainer" as Corbyn was yet he was crucified for that.
Shhhh... don't mention that. It might make it look like the Labour MPs never intended to support their leader.

Obviously as a conservative (wet) I would rather see one of our own running the country than I would someone like Corbyn or anyone else from the left on Labour.
Natch. But I wonder how May will deal with the obvious logic of those who say, "You have been in charge of immigration policy for 6 years. Tell how that went with non-EU migration having nothing to do with the EU."

She's already said "Brexit" means "Brexit" so we're going to head down that road. Gove - was his wife involved by deliberately releasing her email last night?
I find it very difficult to believe that it was a mistake.

I hope I am honest enough a critic of my own desired party to be a bit worried at the shenanigans. Boris has paid the price for bringing a Conservative leader down just as Michael Heseltine once was but the main thing I keep thinking is about that letter in the Guardian (that you posted) which followed my thinking that the PMship is a poisoned chalice for whoever drinks from it when Article 50 is triggered.
You think Boris has decided to let someone else carry the can for the s***storm that the triggering of Article 50 and the failure to remain in the single market will cause, then ride to the rescue shouting, "It wasn't my fault!"

It's pretty historic what we are witnessing isn't it? Andy do you recall anything that resembles this?

It's pretty historic what we are witnessing isn't it? Andy do you recall anything that resembles this?

No, never. Not even when Thatcher fell, nor when the SDP launched.

The Tories are going to tear themselves apart for a few more weeks, then pull themselves together, unite behind their new leader and pretend that whatever disaster befalls the British economy as a result of Brexit was someone else's fault. That's why I think May will win because she'll be able to pull the 'it wasn't me, I'm just doing my best with what I inherited' card. That she approved the referendum, lost the campaign and was fully complicit in the failure of Tory immigration policy is neither here nor there. Say what you like, the Tories have an unerring instinct for self-preservation.

Labour on the other hand are going to tear themselves apart for a few more weeks and then split into two new parties: New Labour and Real Labour. Their self-preservation will always be trumped by careerism on the one side and ideology on the other. The fact that the rebels believe Angela Eagle has any of the drive, charisma or profile needed to lead the party is gob-smacking. The fact that Corbyn seems to be being played as a puppet by others, and failing to show any leadership qualities himself is dispiriting for anyone who likes him on a personal level and believes strongly in his political analysis. The utter lack of leadership quality within the whole Labour movement is mind-blowing.

I hope to see the LibDems, Greens, SNP and PC taking advantage of this, and not just allowing UKIP to sweep up the broken shards of both main parties' failures.

It'll either be Boris Johnson or Corbyn.

Remind me never ever ever to take your advice on future events...

~ You think Boris has decided to let someone else carry the can for the s***storm that the triggering of Article 50 and the failure to remain in the single market will cause, then ride to the rescue shouting, "It wasn't my fault!"

Actually, he sort of rescued himself in that eventuality as he has said in muted terms that he will be sniping from the sides to make sure Brexit is carried out.

If I didn't live here and wasn't going to be part of this guinea pig experiment, it would be quite interesting to watch how the economy deals with this whole shebang. Unfortunately, my financial future and pensions are tied up in all the speculation of how and whether we survive this self inflicted wound.

If I didn't live here and wasn't going to be part of this guinea pig experiment, it would be quite interesting to watch how the economy deals with this whole shebang. Unfortunately, my financial future and pensions are tied up in all the speculation of how and whether we survive this self inflicted wound.
Mine too. All my meagre pension and investment is still in the UK, nevertheless it's bloody fascinating, isn't it? In a slightly brown-trousery sort of way.

Actually, he sort of rescued himself in that eventuality as he has said in muted terms that he will be sniping from the sides to make sure Brexit is carried out.

I'm just flabbergasted at his total lack of balls, like a playground bully who starts whimpering when one of his victims fights back. Unbelievable!

FTSE took a hit when he announced it.. has recovered somewhat, but the hit was noticeable. Guessing the markets are banking on Thersea May, as Gove is an anti-common market type.

You need to compare what's going on between the 100 and 250 indices. There are proportionally more companies in the FTSE 100 with an international focus, earning more of their profits and revenues outside the UK hence the May announcement gave that a boost.

The FTSE 250 which largely comprises of British manufacturers, retailers and service companies, and are at more risk in the event of a UK economic downturn is still trading way low would need a +12% jump to get back to it's pre-referendum position.

Frankly, they're all of 'em such a bunch of lying scumbags that I'm past caring on who leads what where. Whole thing is like the whole bloody goon show has decided to counter the hangover of the public by providing it with another dollop of pane et circensis, arguing over the emperor's clothes while the barbarians are set to shove the whole lot into oblivion.

Were it not for the trepidations that govern the EU and have found heavy exacerbation by the Brexit move, the rest of Europe would be sitting on its Western coasts and laughing its head off at this incredible display of self-centered, self-complacent and habitually insular vaudeville show.

At least this way it doesn't get so much attention (yet), but I'm nevertheless oiling what American accent I can still muster, so embarrassed I be.

Oh no, not that little scumbag Gove. The dude was against the Good Friday Agreement ffs. This is the guy want negotiating on your behalf? Better off with Boris.

You need to compare what's going on between the 100 and 250 indices. There are proportionally more companies in the FTSE 100 with an international focus, earning more of their profits and revenues outside the UK hence the May announcement gave that a boost.

The FTSE 250 which largely comprises of British manufacturers, retailers and service companies, and are at more risk in the event of a UK economic downturn is still trading way low would need a +12% jump to get back to it's pre-referendum position.

I know, but most people dont.. they focus on the FTSE 100 :)

Oh no, not that little scumbag Gove. The dude was against the Good Friday Agreement ffs. This is the guy want negotiating on your behalf? Better off with Boris.

It's not just his ignorance of the Northern Irish question is embarrassing. He had to be sacked as Education Secretary because he had the entire teaching profession on the point of mutiny. He shamelessly used rape and murder statistics on EU migrants in the same campaign where he derided 'project fear' and this is the same man who demanded that all British schools should be 'better than average', so think about that in statistical terms.

He's an ideological, elitist ignoramus of massive proportions and completely incapable of holding a ministerial portfolio, never mind the PM's chair. I can't honestly believe the Tory party will be that stupid, but then again, they did elect Ian Duncan Smith as their leader not so long ago.

SIAP. I can't get this out of my head: When I first saw England's (PM) Boris Johnson on the Brexit debate, I thought he looked like Donald J. Trump. Are some of your sure you like Mr. Johnson?

SIAP. I can't get this out of my head: When I first saw England's (PM) Boris Johnson on the Brexit debate, I thought he looked like Donald J. Trump. Are some of your sure you like Mr. Johnson?
It's immaterial now.

I think Boris realised as the class clown, his destiny is never to be the leader. He can laugh, joke, poke fun at himself when you're making fun of him, but in the end, he's destined to always be the bridesmaid.

The leader should be an outer though, definitely not May, or that guy from the valleys, the rugby player, uh er, no thanks. Seriously lacking in charisma and too many flipping of properties and shady business fronts to be a realistic candidate.

I'm just flabbergasted at his total lack of balls, like a playground bully who starts whimpering when one of his victims fights back. Unbelievable!

A lack of balls probably combined with a few early morning phone calls from Murdoch, Dacre, and the Barclay Brothers may have had some influence on BoJo's decision to fall on his sword today and give Gove a go?

The thing I'm thinking tonight is how the Brexit camp have fervently told us that other countries in Europe would follow suit.

My guess is that they are watching the last week of comedy we've provided and starting to think - "If that is what exit means to your economy and governing parties then no thanks."

The thing I'm thinking tonight is how the Brexit camp have fervently told us that other countries in Europe would follow suit.

My guess is that they are watching the last week of comedy we've provided and starting to think - "If that is what exit means to your economy and governing parties then no thanks."

You should hear the German and Danish news describing it... from Faulty Towers to sad theater to chaos.

Am I the only one who's found a temporary respite in the embarrassment we're suffering in the US?

Mine too. All my meagre pension and investment is still in the UK, nevertheless it's bloody fascinating, isn't it? In a slightly brown-trousery sort of way.

We shot ourselves in the foot last week, our political parties have fallen apart this week - what do you reckon next week's episode of Fawlty Towers will bring?

You should hear the German and Danish news describing it... from Faulty Towers to sad theater to chaos.

Great timing Pete.

Am I the only one who's found a temporary respite in the embarrassment we're suffering in the US?

There's nothing your leaders could do to top getting half the electorate to act like turkeys voting for Xmas.

No, we're not. Really. (I wouldn't choose Gove either!)

A lack of balls probably combined with a few early morning phone calls from Murdoch, Dacre, and the Barclay Brothers may have had some influence on BoJo's decision to fall on his sword today and give Gove a go?

Which demonstrates to us that we've had a close shave with an utter patsy and shill for the dark forces of the right. Mind you, I don't think any of the others are much better. Gove would be a disaster.

Fascinating behind the scenes machinations. Leadsom allegedly demanding the chancellors job - in writing- for supporting Boris. Boris allegedly giving such a letter to Boles to hand over. Boles denial. Gideon apparently behind the May bid.

Blundering Boris' Botched Andrea Offers - Guido Fawkes Guido Fawkes … qus_thread (Anti Remain stance)

Assorted hatchet jobs on Boris and Gove in the press. Fulsome endorsements of May in contrast.

Stitch up in the offing?

I reckon that BoJo lacked the balls to actually invoke Article 50. Whoever does it is in for a whirlwind of ****.

A good friend of mine had some predictions for the next 6 months regarding the next PM. I largely agree:

- Corbyn calls leadership election, runs, storms it
- Tories elect a leader (Gove/May?), invoke Article 50 and call a snap general election whilst Labour are in disarray
- SNP campaign based on 2nd independence referendum, take Labour votes away in Scotland
- Lib Dems choose to run on anti-Brexit platform (because it's the hottest topic since tuition fees, and one which they will inevitably renege should they come near to any kingmaking in a coalition by some infinitesimally small chance) which causes pro-Brexit votes to massively swing towards the Tories
- Labour and Tories both run campaign based on honouring the referendum result (because no electable party will fly in the face of a democratic mandate, no matter the consequences for the country)
- Tories win General Election by a landslide, Labour vote decimated in Scotland and in pro-Brexit traditional labour areas which swing to Tories, to protect Brexit
- Apocalypse

I reckon that BoJo lacked the balls to actually invoke Article 50. Whoever does it is in for a whirlwind of ****.

A good friend of mine had some predictions for the next 6 months regarding the next PM. I largely agree:

- Corbyn calls leadership election, runs, storms it
Just FYI, it's not up to Corbyn to call a leadership election. It is triggered if he is challenged. It is unclear yet whether, if that happens, Corbyn will automatically have the right to be nominated or whether he will have to find the requisite number of MP nominations. If the latter, he will struggle to find those. I agree that if he's on the ballot, he will almost certainly win.

- Tories elect a leader (Gove/May?), invoke Article 50 and call a snap general election whilst Labour are in disarray
Both Gove and May say they will NOT call a snap general election. I know, I know, the word of Gove is worth nothing, but I believed May when she made that statement yesterday. Other thing to note, the rules have changed and the PM requires 2/3rds of parliament to vote to have a GE. At the moment, with Labour in turmoil, I doubt very much their 210 MPs would vote for that.

- SNP campaign based on 2nd independence referendum, take Labour votes away in Scotland
Labour only has 1 MP in Scotland. That won't make a big difference.

- Lib Dems choose to run on anti-Brexit platform (because it's the hottest topic since tuition fees, and one which they will inevitably renege should they come near to any kingmaking in a coalition by some infinitesimally small chance) which causes pro-Brexit votes to massively swing towards the Tories
The pro-Brexiters already vote heavily for the Tories. I think very, very few potential LibDem voters are committed Brexiters.

- Labour and Tories both run campaign based on honouring the referendum result (because no electable party will fly in the face of a democratic mandate, no matter the consequences for the country)
I suspect you're right.

- Tories win General Election by a landslide, Labour vote decimated in Scotland and in pro-Brexit traditional labour areas which swing to Tories, to protect Brexit
You have completely ignored UKIP, which was the party that ran second to Labour in its heartland. Even the most pro-Brexit areas of the North and Midlands are more likely to vote UKIP than Tory.

Apocalypse
That's already happened.

That's already happened.

No kidding. Saw on ITV news today that house prices in London fell 10-15% in a WEEK! Dont get me wrong, house prices in London are overpriced and crazy, but like it or not, most peoples wealth is based on their home.. and if the value of that home falls drastically then you risk getting into a very bad spiral as we have seen in the US and Spain.

And the UK banks are failing... why? The Bank of England is trying to hide it by lowering capital requirements... I mean wtf?

Back
Top Bottom