• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Books to read to your kids

Ikari

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
I wanted to make this topic, cause I was chatting with some guildmates about book and such. I have a young daughter and ever since she came home from the hospital, I had been reading her sci-fi and fantasy novels. Kids learn their enunciation from what they hear from adults.

So I thought it would be nice to see what people read to their kids for nighttime sotries.

I've read a lot...and I mean A LOT, of Asimov and Clark to my daughter. But some of the best books, other than Harry Potter and Narnia, that I've read to her has been from Brandon Sanderson. He's written like the Alcatraz and the Evil Librarian series, which is great. He's written Skyward which is fantastic and Starsight is about to be out in paperback. I've read her the Septimus Heap and Tod Hunter Moon series by Angie Sage.

So what are good books you've read to your kids? I'm interested to know. I have a lot of books ready for when we finish what we're on. But I'm interested in hearing what other parents like to read to their kids;. What's the best series you've read, what interests them?

Try Divers Down. It is about kids who get involved in a diving project. I read it probably a dozen times from age 10 to 14ish. Very go out and do and learn and be independent kinda message, but mostly just a good story.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13148039-divers-down

My 8 year old likes Harry Potter a lot right now.

Another thought. Tanith Lee's Unicorn series, starting with The Black Unicorn. Tanith Lee had one of the great voices of scifi/fantasy writers of the 70s. Her horror books where like something Edgar Allen Poe would do(See Red as Blood). She created moods, using finely tuned language, with every word contributing towards those moods. The Unicorn was part comedy, part fantasy, part coming of age story. Also check out Piratica by her as age appropriate, with characters who speak a cross between Shakespearean English and 60's slang.

Also, the Heinlein juveniles are ****ing awesome!

Oh, and before I forget, Jack Vance, especially Araminta Station series and Suldrun's Garden(Lyonesse Trilogy). Vance is another unique voice who paints pictures with words, and can be hilariously funny("Nothing is more conspicuous than a farting princess").

Early years...

Anything from Graeme Base.

Starting with Animalia for the younger ones. Older one can more appreciate The Eleventh Hour: A Curious Mystery .

The Voyage of the Basset is another favorite as is The Dragons are Signing Tonight.

All large format books that are finely illustrated.

If you are into Alice in Wonderland type I suggest The Annotated Alice which not only contains both Alice books but also translates and explains many of the quirks and meanings of the text. A must read for kids and adults who love Alice.

Last edited:
My son is old enough to read on his own now, but when he was younger I would read him Tintin and comic books.

I think this is a good story to read to children. The story was written in 1972 by the soviet science fiction writer Kir Bulychev.
1972. Vadim calls his girlfriend Nina, but due to a some temporal anomaly, another Nina picks up the phone at the other end — a twelve-year-old girl who is hungry in the cold Moscow of 1942.
It is horrible translation, worse then computer one.

The Hobbit is a great bedtime read for kids ~7 years old. It sets them up for the somewhat darker Lord of the Rings trilogy when they're a bit older.

I really liked the Artemis Fowl series. I thought it was better than Harry Potter and funnier.

I wanted to make this topic, cause I was chatting with some guildmates about book and such. I have a young daughter and ever since she came home from the hospital, I had been reading her sci-fi and fantasy novels. Kids learn their enunciation from what they hear from adults.

So I thought it would be nice to see what people read to their kids for nighttime sotries.

I've read a lot...and I mean A LOT, of Asimov and Clark to my daughter. But some of the best books, other than Harry Potter and Narnia, that I've read to her has been from Brandon Sanderson. He's written like the Alcatraz and the Evil Librarian series, which is great. He's written Skyward which is fantastic and Starsight is about to be out in paperback. I've read her the Septimus Heap and Tod Hunter Moon series by Angie Sage.

So what are good books you've read to your kids? I'm interested to know. I have a lot of books ready for when we finish what we're on. But I'm interested in hearing what other parents like to read to their kids;. What's the best series you've read, what interests them?
Age group?

You must read The Secret Garden to her, and Heidi.

I know they're not scifi, but they're magic to little girls.

The Borrowers was good, too.

Back
Top Bottom