• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Book Review

TheParser

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
I am posting this news for any members or guests who are reading everything possible about this pandemic tragedy (I am not one of them).

I read about it in a catalogue of books that was sent to me. I have checked Amazon and discovered that it is also available there.

It's called COVID-19 by Debora MacKenzie Hachette.

I just wanted to quote this one sentence from the catalogue: "Over the last 30 years of epidemics and pandemics, we learned nearly every lesson needed to stop the coronavirus outbreak in its tracks, but heeded almost none of them."

Credit for that sentence: Daedalus Books Fall 2 catalogue, page 25.

I am posting this news for any members or guests who are reading everything possible about this pandemic tragedy (I am not one of them).

I read about it in a catalogue of books that was sent to me. I have checked Amazon and discovered that it is also available there.

It's called COVID-19 by Debora MacKenzie Hachette.

I just wanted to quote this one sentence from the catalogue: "Over the last 30 years of epidemics and pandemics, we learned nearly every lesson needed to stop the coronavirus outbreak in its tracks, but heeded almost none of them."

Credit for that sentence: Daedalus Books Fall 2 catalogue, page 25.

Thank you for bringing to our attention a sentence you read from a jacket cover.

In fairness, though, shooting the first 100 people who came down with it and burning their corpses would probably have contravened the UN Human Rights Charter. 😐

In fairness, though, shooting the first 100 people who came down with it and burning their corpses would probably have contravened the UN Human Rights Charter. 😐

Says the person who has no problem with 600,000 dead Americans.

Says the person who has no problem with 600,000 dead Americans.
...says the member who oft repeats the lie that I have no problem with 600K dead Americans.

...says the member who oft repeats the lie that I have no problem with 600K dead Americans.

Everything that righties accuse others of doing, they do or enable themselves. Every single thing.

It's not as if you don't have a track record of trivializing 600,000 dead Americans. :)

It's not as if you don't have a track record of trivializing 600,000 dead Americans. :)
By this logic, you have a "track record of trivializing fundamental liberty".

Moreover, by your tortured logic, your refusal to support a ban on obesity in America means you have "no problem with" millions of Americans dying from complications related to obesity.

If the only way you can assail a man's argument is by mischaracterizing what he says (and make no mistake: accusing me of having "no problem with" dead Americans is a bald-faced lie), you should ask yourself why the deception is necessary to make your point.

By this logic, you have a "track record of trivializing fundamental liberty".

Moreover, by your tortured logic, your refusal to support a ban on obesity in America means you have "no problem with" millions of Americans dying from complications related to obesity.

If the only way you can assail a man's argument is by mischaracterizing what he says (and make no mistake: accusing me of having "no problem with" dead Americans is a bald-faced lie), you should ask yourself why the deception is necessary to make your point.

You really do know how to get off-topic, don't you?

We know how to stop this pandemic in its tracks without closing everything down again. Vaccines and masks are the solutions.

But the death cult won't let us. They just want to own the libs.

We know how to stop this pandemic in its tracks without closing everything down again. Vaccines and masks are the solutions.
So get vaccinated and wear a mask. That's your right.

I complied with mask mandates when they were in force, despite being deeply skeptical of their effectiveness.

So get vaccinated and wear a mask. That's your right.

And there it is. The freedumb argument. The exact same argument in favor of second-hand smoking.

And there it is. The freedumb argument. The exact same argument in favor of second-hand smoking.
What specifically is "the freedumb argument"?

That informed medical consent is defunct or unimportant?

That citizens should bear no concerns about vaccines rushed to market with only a fraction of the testing of conventional vaccines, and devoid of long-term data?

Even if you find the exercise of bodily autonomy to be "dumb" freedom, liberal democracies are predicated on the idea that no one authority has the power to dictate which personal choices are "dumb" and which choices are "smart". The alternative is statism. China is a good example of statism. Personal choice and medical autonomy mean nothing there.

Hence you have to answer the question for yourself: Do you want to live in a liberal democracy, or do you want to live in a statist technocracy? If the answer is "liberal democracy", you have to make peace with what this entails. In particular, you need to accept that not everyone will share your assessment of risk and benefit.

Back
Top Bottom