• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Bono: “Capitalism takes more people out of poverty than aid”

Erod

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
http://blog.independent.org/2013/08/12/bono-capitalism-takes-more-people-out-of-poverty-than-aid/

“Aid is just a stopgap,” he said. “Commerce [and] entrepreneurial capitalism take more people out of poverty than aid. We need Africa to become an economic powerhouse.”

It was strange enough seeing him working extensively with George Bush, and now this.

Sounds like with age, comes wisdom. Unless you're Sean Penn, Danny Glover, Barbara Streisand, Susan Sarandon...

As they say, if you're 20 and a conservative, you don't have a heart. If you're 40 and liberal, you don't have a brain.

I agree with him on this issue (seems odd to be saying that, lol). That is the nature of welfare and aid. It doesn't give you any living skills, just keeps you dependent on others, and being dependent on others is not good for your state of mind, or your state of well-being. It's in our nature as humans to work and to strive to overcome difficulties. It's how we evolve.

The Beacon: The Blog of The Independent Institute

It was strange enough seeing him working extensively with George Bush, and now this.

Sounds like with age, comes wisdom. Unless you're Sean Penn, Danny Glover, Barbara Streisand, Susan Sarandon...

As they say, if you're 20 and a conservative, you don't have a heart. If you're 40 and liberal, you don't have a brain.

I don't think that Bono's embrace of capitalism makes him a Conservative. Liberals (at least in the US) are pro-market as well, just not un-bridled and un-regulated.

I don't see what's so controversial about this.

The controversy is in who said it- not the subject matter. Bono's historically been very pro-welfare and pro-aid. It seems odd for him to take this position.

I don't think that Bono's embrace of capitalism makes him a Conservative. Liberals (at least in the US) are pro-market as well, just not un-bridled and un-regulated.

LOL, no you're not. You're for stripping capitalists of their profits and incentive so you can create as many dependent voters as possible.

The controversy is in who said it- not the subject matter. Bono's historically been very pro-welfare and pro-aid. It seems odd for him to take this position.

Even the most pro-welfare liberal realizes that for Third World economies to prosper, they need to have capitalism done right (not the crony capitalism that currently exists in a lot of those places) - else all the foreign aid and welfare you're sending in is wasted and ends up in the hands of the wrong people. It has more to do with proper governance than anything else.

Not sure why pro-welfare and pro-aid somehow mean anti-capitalist. The two co-exist all of the world simultaneously.

You know that's like saying that you're for Women's Emancipation, so long as they're kept in the home, barred from voting, and out of the workplace, right?

You know that's like saying that you're for Women's Emancipation, so long as they're kept in the home, barred from voting, and out of the workplace, right?

It's not like that at all actually, but I realize that kind of "gray area" is something foreign to the Conservative way of thinking.

LOL, no you're not. You're for stripping capitalists of their profits and incentive so you can create as many dependent voters as possible.

Pure strawman crap. Nice try.

I could make broad sweeping untrue statements about Conservatives, but I see no need to. I guess you're just not there yet.

It's not like that at all actually, but I realize that kind of "gray area" is something foreign to the Conservative way of thinking.

Mostly because when somebody says "gray area," we hear "I am uncomfortable with the probable truth and so refuse to examine it."

Mostly because when somebody says "gray area," we hear "I am uncomfortable with the probable truth and so refuse to examine it."

See, exactly. If it ain't black and white, you can't cope.

People forget that in addition to being a musician and activist he's also a successful businessman.

I'd be kind of surprised if he didn't think this.

He still is.

If you can't accept what's black and white, you're in danger of dying in a zebra stampede.

So I guess you and the other conservatives will survive the zebra stampede. Good for you.

No it means they should be equal citizens, not have the right to murder and steal.

The Beacon: The Blog of The Independent Institute

Are you saying what he said was breaking news or that he said it?

Any idiot knows showing somebody how to fish is better than handing them a fish.

Are you saying what he said was breaking news or that he said it?

Any idiot knows showing somebody how to fish is better than handing them a fish.

Many would still prefer to be handed the fish, cooked and delicately seasoned long with their favorite side dishes. ;)

All of that bait cutting, handling sharp hooks, gutting, scaling, cooking and dish washing is such a bother. ;)

Back
Top Bottom