• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Bombs Away For Russia, Hands Tied Behind Back for U.S. & Israel

Do you disagree with the UN assessment as well?
Indeed although irrelevant as that is not a war crime.
I never compared Russia's invasion of Ukraine to the 6 day war. I was only refuting the idea that Israels military has only operated defensively. The idea that that Israel defensively gained and occupied territory is absurd.
The six-days war was as defensive as a war can get. It wasn't Israel that was interested in annihilating its neighbors.
It was my understanding that government in the Gaza strip collapsed and Hamas has control over that area. In addition to the PA having no meaningful way of pushing back against Israels political goals, which is made apparent by the fact that Israel keeps settling people in occupied regions against the wishes of the PA (and international law).
Yes back in 2007. You could say the Gaza Strip has been a separate territory since.
The PA is powerful enough to at least reach a settlement on the West Bank territory, they were previously offered up to 98% of the territory and rejected it.

OP, You are completely correct. However, Israel relies on western liberals for support. Russia does not.

Western liberals and their beliefs about proportionality do not actually matter except to other western liberals (eg Kabul, Yemen, Syria...none of the western liberal beliefs actually matter there). If the political repercussions of alienating western liberals outweighs the military benefits then it's imperative to keep the liberals happy (similarly, nobody and I do mean nobody except western liberals and jihadi sympathizers care about the US bombing targets in Raqqa or killing ISIS prisoners. And western liberals don't matter militarily).

This is tough for Israel as they face very real threats and their govt also has to deal with a domestic audience that will demand action be taken if innocents are killed among them. Quite a tough balancing act. With the rise of BDS and other anti-Israeli movements in the west it will become less and less important for Israel to appease these groups as they largely already view Israel as an illegitimate state that has no "right" to exist. So we may be approaching the day when Israel says F it, F the western liberals who hate us, and decides to let the dogs off the leash and decide that the way the Arabs handle their own issues in Yemen or Homs should be a model for Gaza.
western, or any other liberalism based in freedom and intellectual pursuit, is and has been since the very first revolution the engine that pushes the rest of the world forward......conservatism, based in fundamentalist religion and power and greed and ignorance is the ball and chain to this progress.......

Gee, so you oppose the US’ partnership with Vietnam? They are very communist.....and they are also as opposed to the growth of china’s regional influence as we are.
Absolutely not, and I never said this. I said we shouldn’t be fighting to convert peoples to liberal or communist values.

Of course we should ally with illiberal Vietnam.

So, what, exactly, was an “Afghanistan not based on liberal ideas” supposed to look like? How would that have been any different from the Taliban?
They wouldn’t be hosting our enemies like they currently are.

Yep, and committing those war crimes actively hurt their efforts at trying to regain power(and btw, claiming the Taliban was “2x winners” is amusing given they didn’t even exist when the Soviet war in Afghanistan was ongoing).
The Islamist Jihadists won twice.

We are the losers.

In other words, you’d have us emulate German Second World “counter insurgency” strategy. You do realize that mass executions of POWs, besides being a blatant atrocity, renders it rather difficult to gain intelligence about how to the organization, movements, and strategy of the army they belonged to.....right?
Abraham Lincoln ordered the execution of POWs when the Confederates refused to accept black POWs. It was successful.

I would implement a similar strategy for suicide bombers:

For every civilian killed, that many POWs are executed.

In cases like ISIS, which doesn’t take prisoners, I’d double that number.

Not to mention the fact that the Germans’ “strategy” failed miserably.
How’d the strategy of incinerating Japanese cities work out?

Should Truman have been tried for war crimes?

As I said it only matters if you lose…

And then everyone would roll their eyes and ask what made us decide we were “God’s chosen spokespeople”.
Our firepower, which is a gift from the God of Abraham.

God is Great!

The Taliban had loads of enemies......and they’d be hard pressed to see us any as different than them if we rolled in and started committing a boatload of war crimes.

As opposed to being weak losers who wasted thousands of our own lives only to lose to the Taliban anyways.

The first right is the right to life, which we failed to protect.

You seem to be under the impression that committing war crimes somehow helps you win wars, and that’s very much not the case.

You know how WW2 ended right?

How’d we get the North Vietnamese to the peace table?

Oh right, carpet bombing Hanoi for 12 days and nights…

Yep. Shit works.

Safer as in there isn’t some invading army about to roll over the border....and, again, they literally have nukes

So? Do nukes protect their children from the jihadists rockets?

Israel should adopt the Arab methods of ending dissent in Gaza if they were actually serious.

But alas, Israel relies on western liberals so they won’t be able to bombard Gaza with artillery and defeat the jihadists.

Personally I find the Israeli “restraint” a disgusting example of cowardice and a failure that has allowed a threat to metastasize. Now they can celebrate Passover once again hiding from their enemies, but at least this time the bomb shelter is in the holy land!

**Edit** my apologies— Just realized I missed your point!

Unfortunately I do not think nukes would be an effective weapon in Israel’s plight against the jihadists in Gaza. Not enough room.

I would suggest the successful regime actions taken in Homs or Aleppo instead, which used mostly conventional weapons.

Last edited:
Absolutely not, and I never said this. I said we shouldn’t be fighting to convert peoples to liberal or communist values.

Of course we should ally with illiberal Vietnam.

They wouldn’t be hosting our enemies like they currently are.

The Islamist Jihadists won twice.

We are the losers.

Abraham Lincoln ordered the execution of POWs when the Confederates refused to accept black POWs. It was successful.

I would implement a similar strategy for suicide bombers:

For every civilian killed, that many POWs are executed.

In cases like ISIS, which doesn’t take prisoners, I’d double that number.

How’d the strategy of incinerating Japanese cities work out?

Should Truman have been tried for war crimes?

As I said it only matters if you lose…

Our firepower, which is a gift from the God of Abraham.

God is Great!

As opposed to being weak losers who wasted thousands of our own lives only to lose to the Taliban anyways.

The first right is the right to life, which we failed to protect.

You seem to be under the impression that committing war crimes somehow helps you win wars, and that’s very much not the case.

You know how WW2 ended right?

How’d we get the North Vietnamese to the peace table?

Oh right, carpet bombing Hanoi for 12 days and nights…

Yep. Shit works.

So? Do nukes protect their children from the jihadists rockets?

Israel should adopt the Arab methods of ending dissent in Gaza if they were actually serious.

But alas, Israel relies on western liberals so they won’t be able to bombard Gaza with artillery and defeat the jihadists.

Personally I find the Israeli “restraint” a disgusting example of cowardice and a failure that has allowed a threat to metastasize. Now they can celebrate Passover once again hiding from their enemies, but at least this time the bomb shelter is in the holy land!

**Edit** my apologies— Just realized I missed your point!

Unfortunately I do not think nukes would be an effective weapon in Israel’s plight against the jihadists in Gaza. Not enough room.

I would suggest the successful regime actions taken in Homs or Aleppo instead, which used mostly conventional weapons.

How so? Do you really think fighting for “illiberalism” would have made the Afghans any more capable of holding off the Taliban?

The “Islamist jihadists” of the Taliban didn’t even exist when the Soviets occupied Afghanistan, and, again, they were every bit as brutal as you fantasize about us being. It didn’t help them one iota. It certainly didn’t enable them to win the war.

Except for the fact that he never actually went through with it, because the Confederates backed down. Furthermore, even if he had so, it couldn’t have prevented the Confederates from continuing to murder POWs.

In other words you’d not only fail miserably to stop the bombings, but deprive us of any chance at gathering additional intelligence and therefore make the war effort that much more difficult. Just brilliant thinking there🙄

It utterly failed to break their will(as did the Blitz.....and our bombing raids over Germany, for that matter) requiring the most powerful weapons in existence up to that point to be deployed before they finally surrendered.

And they’d laugh in our faces.

The Germans were as brutal as you fantasize us being, and they still got their asses kicked.

The North Vietnamese won the war bud. Hate to break it to you. “Carpet bombing Hanoi” did was little more than a petulant tantrum.

“Bombarding Gaza with artillery” wouldn’t actually defeat the insurgents. Every time Israel killing innocent civilians it actually strengthens those groups.

Your plans are not just ignorant, they are actively counterproductive.

It is in Russia's interest to support war mongering and divisive extremism. And they are encouraging their provocateurs to do so now.
In what way is that responsive to my post?

Back
Top Bottom