• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Bomb explodes at Jerusalem bus stop; 25 wounded

sorry for butting in but I think we Brits tend to see a difference in how Israel responds and how we did.

BBC ON THIS DAY | 24 | 1993: IRA bomb devastates City of London

Four IRA bombs explode in London - UK, News - The Independent

BBC ON THIS DAY | 20 | 1982: IRA bombs cause carnage in London

List of terrorist incidents in London - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dealt with as far as the general public knew by Police investigation and criminal prosecution. No assassination and particularly no assassinations which lead to the killing and maiming of several innocent civilians. No house demolitions and no bombing of Northern Ireland. Yes, there was internment.

The two times where the British public were aware of the Army or secret service being indiscriminate in their killing were on Bloody Sunday and the Gibraltar killings. Both caused outrage though as you will know it was not until last year that responsibility was at last taken for Bloody Sunday.

It has sometimes been said that it was a miracle that this did not spread to Scotland and Ireland. Possibly part of the reason for that was because responses were kept on a more even level. Surely when one does something it is necessary also to think about what the psychological effect of what you do will have and also what you are wanting to achieve.

The end result Amnesty and previous terrorists now snugly in office.

(daughter and grandchildren on the way. I will go off line now)

Sorry. Completely different situations. I do not believe that Britain was ever attacked by several other sovereign nations. Further, members of the IRA were actually citizens of the UK. Certainly members of Hamas and Hezbollah are not Israeli citizens.

No, these are completely dissimilar. Try again.

Dealt with as far as the general public knew by Police investigation and criminal prosecution. No assassination and particularly no assassinations which lead to the killing and maiming of several innocent civilians. No house demolitions and no bombing of Northern Ireland. Yes, there was internment.

And how exactly is Israel supposed to conduct investigations and preform arrests inside the Gaza Strip?
When the terrorists are from Um Al Phahem Israel doesn't bomb Um Al Phahem, even in the west bank the Shin Bet arrests terrorists and do not assasinate them. I'm not a big fan of the assasination method but your examples aren't similar to what Israel is facing, they are more similar to the current situation in the west bank and this is exactly what Israel is doing in the west bank, you didn't see Israeli warplanes bomb the house of the terrorists who murdered the 4 settlers near hebron last year, they were arrested.

Sorry. Completely different situations. I do not believe that Britain was ever attacked by several other sovereign nations. Further, members of the IRA were actually citizens of the UK. Certainly members of Hamas and Hezbollah are not Israeli citizens.

No, these are completely dissimilar. Try again.

Gaza is still under Israel control. The rest of the Westbank is continuously being populated by settlers. The Palestinians have no State. Your objections are not accepted. Now I must go.

Gaza is still under Israel control. The rest of the Westbank is continuously being populated by settlers. The Palestinians have no State. Your objections are not accepted. Now I must go.

Gaza is not under Israeli control, Israeli police can't enter Gaza, hell even the IDF can't enter Gaza without conducting a major military operation.
The West Bank wasn't under Israeli control before operation Shield Wall.

Last edited:
I tell it like it is. I prefer close quarters. That's why I kick-box.

It would be a mistake for Gunner to read bravado in what you say. Gunner her type does not swagger or engage in bravado. They may be many things but don't mistake candor with bravado.

The IDF is trained to rely on their reflexes and instinct not just their weapons, i.e., "krav maga".

It's different then the American approach which emphasizes heavier reliance on weapons and technology.

Last edited:

I defer to Ido's and Tasha's comments. I think Israel's EXTERIOR control of Gaza borders to try prevent the smuggling in of weapons, at best is limited. Its still easy to get weapons in. It's very easy to dig a tunnel as fast as another is put out of commission.

Unlike Hamas or Hezbollah the IDF does have a code of conduct which is a mix of international law, Israeli law, Jewish heritage and the IDF's own traditional ethical code called " Ruach Tzahal " ( רוח צה"ל) which when treanslated means, "The Spirit of the IDF".

Here is the above code's specific reference to use of force:

" Purity of Arms - "The IDF servicemen and women will use their weapons and force only for the purpose of their mission, only to the necessary extent and will maintain their humanity even during combat. IDF soldiers will not use their weapons and force to harm human beings who are not combatants or prisoners of war, and will do all in their power to avoid causing harm to their lives, bodies, dignity and property."

Here is its code of conduct reference (11 rules) when dealing with terrorists:

1. Military action can only be taken against military targets.
2. The use of force must be proportional.
3. Soldiers may only use weaponry they were issued by the IDF.
4. Anyone who surrenders cannot be attacked.
5. Only those who are properly trained can interrogate prisoners.
6. Soldiers must accord dignity and respect to the Palestinian population and those
arrested.
7. Soldiers must give appropriate medical care, when conditions allow, to oneself and one's enemy.
8. Pillaging is absolutely and totally illegal.
9. Soldiers must show proper respect for religious and cultural sites and artifacts.
10. Soldiers must protect international aid workers, including their property and vehicles.
11. Soldiers must report all violations of this code.

source:http://www.scribd.com/doc/519294/Israeli-Defense-Forces-

Last edited:
It would be a mistake for Gunner to read bravado in what you say. Gunner her type does not swagger or engage in bravado. They may be many things but don't mistake candor with bravado.

The IDF is trained to rely on their reflexes and instinct not just their weapons, i.e., "krav maga".

It's different then the American approach which emphasizes heavier reliance on weapons and technology.

And it would be a mistake to think the regular UK forces are not trained and adept to close quarters fighting. As a fairly recent example 'Scots Guards' in the battle for Mount tumbledown in the Falklands, once reaching the top troops were nearly out of ammo so resorted to using bayonets/shovels to finish the job....
So to consider certain forces superior in their barbarism is an obscene generalisation. 'You either have it in you, or you don't' those that do rarely play at bravado.

[we are so far of topic]

Paul

And your comments are rejected as irrelevant. Control or not, those in Gaza and the West Bank are not Israeli citizens. Like it or not, the situations are different, rendering your analogy invalid.

And your comments are rejected as irrelevant. Control or not, those in Gaza and the West Bank are not Israeli citizens. Like it or not, the situations are different, rendering your analogy invalid.

It isn't the same situation but it is a similar situation. This thread has already been led off topic with the inference that Israel bombing Gaza is similar to the Nato in respect to Iraq and Afghanistan. I believe that it is much nearer the situation to Northern Ireland. Possibly because of this earlier inferences I thought that when you asked
Prove it. Give specific examples of other countries in the same situation and what they did.
You were actually wanting examples of how others had responded in similar situations. If that was not the case then clearly I misunderstood you. I can see now that you were wanting the exact same situation.

Of course there will never be anywhere in the world an identical situation to Israel. It is totally unique. There never has and there never will be another situation identical to it. Northern Ireland though had similarities. The way Israel chose to respond was not necessarily how other countries would choose.

(The citizens of Northern Ireland Ireland are not British)

Last edited:
Actually, you have it ass-backwards.

It is what Hamas and Hezbollah do not do - follow International Law on Warfare - that always leads to problems when they tangle with the IDF.

This is an intentional and designed disregard on their part.

Excepts Israel has always acted this way. Tactful restraint has never really been part of its military strategy.

This is nothing but a post with lots of big statements, and no substance. Let's look at two points:

1) "The fact of the matter is that what Israel does is beyond what other countries would do in the same situation."

Prove it. Give specific examples of other countries in the same situation and what they did.

I said "would do" because no situation is identical. Any situation a person can name will be different and that will allow you to claim any example I give is not legitimate. I have given numerous examples of instances where countries show considerably greater restraint where the losses are more severe. The fact of the matter is that the developed world in general behaves far better in war than Israel regardless of the circumstances and even parts of the developing behave better.

2) "It is not the circumstances surrounding Israel that motivate its actions and it never has been."

Prove it. Links from Israeli leaders identifying what the motivations for it actions have always been. Since you said "always", you are required to post information from 1948 to the present time, and if I can find ONE comment that refutes you, you are proven wrong.

We are talking about its specific insistence on respond to attack with excessive force and in that sense all I have to do is point to historical fact that Israel has always used excessive force and that it had nothing to do with the actions of its neighbors.

We are talking about its specific insistence on respond to attack with excessive force and in that sense all I have to do is point to historical fact that Israel has always used excessive force and that it had nothing to do with the actions of its neighbors.
There is no empirical "excessive force" meter.

Was excessive force used in the Lebanon Civil War?

Was excessive force used in the Iraq/Iran War?

Did the US use excessive force in Iraq?

Is the US currently using excessive force in Pakistan?

Is Qaddafi currently using excessive force against the rebels?

At the end of the day, it is all subjective.

I said "would do" because no situation is identical. Any situation a person can name will be different and that will allow you to claim any example I give is not legitimate. I have given numerous examples of instances where countries show considerably greater restraint where the losses are more severe. The fact of the matter is that the developed world in general behaves far better in war than Israel regardless of the circumstances and even parts of the developing behave better.

Ah... equivocating and changing what you said. Nice try, but no. You stated an absolute. You cannot prove it... of course. Therefore, your point is negated.

Firstly, "excessive force" is nothing but your opinion... which is worthless if you are trying to prove something. Secondly, you used the word "always"... an absolute... a losing argument for sure. All I have to do is cite the Yom Kipper War and you lose the argument.

You've got nothing, Demon.

And it would be a mistake to think the regular UK forces are not trained and adept to close quarters fighting. As a fairly recent example 'Scots Guards' in the battle for Mount tumbledown in the Falklands, once reaching the top troops were nearly out of ammo so resorted to using bayonets/shovels to finish the job....
So to consider certain forces superior in their barbarism is an obscene generalisation. 'You either have it in you, or you don't' those that do rarely play at bravado.

[we are so far of topic]

Paul

Actually let's also not forget the USMC training, Rangers training and Seals and other special forces training, etc. By no means do I wish to skip them either.

In Israel's case there has been a traditional hand to hand approach the Palmach (Haganah) came up with if for no reason back in 1949 they just did not have many guns or weapons.

Actually the Israeli military for your curiousity does take seriously the military training at Sandhurst and borrows from it with certain protocol and traditions although some would say Sandhurst got them from the ancient Hebrews. Lol who knows.

Israelis in the military have been known to say other warriors in history they arr impressed with are the Scotts and Girkhas but the reality is when Israelis have been used at NATO echanges, their training of regular soldiers in anti-terrorist techniques was embraced by Ukrainians and Macedonians not Americans. The Americans, British and French as you know would never ask for training for their regular soldiers. The special forces of these armed forces of course compare tactics and techniques but with the regular units , lol, no, too much pride with certain armies.

I think if we were to look at the special training of SAS, SEALS, or Russian or Israeli special elite commando units or Canada's or West Germany's, they would be similiar enough. They all have unique tactics and approaches but they all pretty much have to learn the same things and hand to hand is at the basic core of it. If you can't master the martial arts, the rest is a waste of time.

I think the one major weakness of the U.S. military and their own brass openly admit it, is because they have always had the best weapons they have become too reliant on them and let them take away from the basic skills and rely too much on them to make up for lack of basic skills.

I know my friends who came back from Vietnam said the M-1 would melt on them and many of them preferred taking Kalitnikovs off of the Viet Cong and using them. I also know Israelis who preferred Kalitnikovs to the Uzi.

Sometimes simplicity in design is a virtue I suppose. You listen to pilots and they rave about the F-14 Tomahawk but don't rave and tant about the F-16 or F-18 the same way. You tell me why. Some again say, the more advanced the jets would become the less virtue they had for the pilot.

The Israelis I know loved the Sky Hawk and F-14 and are so so on the F 16. Go figure.

Listening to a good friend of mine who came back from Iraq, and did street patrols, it was interesting to hear despite some very good cutting edge equipment it all came down to his gut to keep him alive when walking the street-that deep gut feeling of knowing when and where to walk and keep the head down. He did have confidence in his equipment which helped his morale but only to a limited extent-then he knew it was all up to him.

I know Israeli pilots who told me when they built the Kfir fighter jet they loaded it with state of the art computer systems but the pilots disconnected many of the programs saying in a dog fight they had to rely on themselves not the computers to make the difference in split second manouvering and decisions.

Lets also not kid ourselves. the US and Israel have worked heavily on developing new urban warfare techniques. Since the war with Hamas, the IDF completely revised its approach and relies on armoured vehicles far larger and differently constructed than what is being used in Iraq and Afghanistan or was used in the former Yugoslavia.

They have had supposedly more success in containing Hamas.

The bottom line though is, civilians in Gaza will die. The confined quarters and proximity to Hamas is such they will be in the line of fire even when Hamas is not intentionally using them as shields.

Being in a certain place at the wrong time gets you killed in Gaza. Simply being in your apartment or walking a street or in an open space walking might kill you. Its cold, its arbitrary, its unfair, it incites anger and hatred and a never ending cycle of hatred between Palestinians and Israelis and I know soldiers that have to live with what they have done and they live with a deep malaise that never lifts.

You know I do not relish civilians dying for any reason. I also deeply resent soldiers forced into the role of urban police officers. They were trained to fight a visible enemy not civilians or an enemy that dresses like civilians.

The longer you put a soldier in a war of attrition with no visible enemy and having to fight shadows, the more likely they will burn out, over react, become emotionally dettached from their actions, etc.

All armed forces are faced with this. Israel faces the exact same phenomena the UK did in Northern Ireland and the US in Vietnam, Iraq, and forces now in Afghanistan or other occupation forces.

I read interesting materials from the Australians which said when they went in to East Timor to stop the Indonesians from massacering them, they had a very tight time line and made sure not to stay on the ground longer than necessary.

As much as the IDF has made mistakes it has physically pulled out of Gaza, Lebanon, and huge chunks of the West Bank as a result of lessons learned. People do not see that part of this mess but things have changed and continue to change. The IDF can not openly discuss its internal changes, disciplinary measures sometimes taken, etc.

Military analysts though do report huge changes happened as a result of the way Olmert handled the Lebanese conflict. Some say the strain between the military and Olmert a first time civilian politician (one with no military background) can never be repeated again.

Its not a coincidence other then Olmert every Israeli leader has been a senior military leader or in Levni's case intellgence. Military tactics and training is a must to be the leader of Israel. That is the cold reality and it was Olmert's greatest weakness. The tactics he used to keep control of Jerusalem as Mayor kept him in power longer then many thought but in the end his lack of understanding of military strategy brought him down and exposed the IDF to a crisis it had never faced before with its elected officials.

In the U.S. the only two Presidents to really go the distance with their military and disagree were Truman and Kennedy. Some say it led to Kennedy's assasination if you buy into those theories. None the less Kennedy was a genuine naval man who survived a pt boat sinking and Truman was trained as a Captain. Very few civilian only politicians survive disagreements with their military over tactical decisions.

Certainly Churchill could never have been what he was without first being in charge of the navy. It trained him to strategize. Eisenhower's ability to lead a large spectrum of swollen egoes was directly attributed to his military training.

The wild card as we speak now though is Syria. Mira thought I was nutz with an earlier thread but I was dead on in saying the instability in Syria, Lebanon, Jordan, Yemen, are all fueling Hamas' moves. Hamas feels it must act now to seize an opportunity to take down the Abbas wing of Fatah-Hamas is beginning to fear it may not be able to rely on Syria or Hezbollah soon if wars break out in those countries.

Civil conflict in Syria, Lebanon and Jordan are a fact and how much they will spread no one knows but they do add to Hamas' feeling of urgency and a need to seize the moment with renewed missile and bomb attacks.

Last edited:
There is no empirical "excessive force" meter.

Was excessive force used in the Lebanon Civil War?

Was excessive force used in the Iraq/Iran War?

Did the US use excessive force in Iraq?

Is the US currently using excessive force in Pakistan?

Is Qaddafi currently using excessive force against the rebels?

At the end of the day, it is all subjective.

Excessive force is not a subjective characterization at all. It simply means that more force is being used than what would be reasonably required. Massacring a village because someone from that village killed a person is excessive force. Bombing a police graduation ceremony and police stations because some active members of the police force may be affiliated with an enemy military is excessive force. What qualifies as excessive force is basically anything that goes beyond any reasonable need.

Ah... equivocating and changing what you said. Nice try, but no. You stated an absolute. You cannot prove it... of course. Therefore, your point is negated.

Again with your "equivocating" thing. Noting what I said and what that means is not equivocating. Nothing was changed because I simply reiterated what I said and gave you the dictionary definition of what those words means. Saying it is not what other countries "would do" in the same situation implies they have not been in an identical situation but would behave differently were they in such a situation. I should add that it should better be phrased as "many countries" since I am not claiming all countries behave better than Israel.

Secondly, you used the word "always"... an absolute... a losing argument for sure.

There are plenty of times when an absolute is perfectly within reason. In this case it is just a statement of reality.

All I have to do is cite the Yom Kipper War and you lose the argument.

How does citing the Yom Kippur War do anything?

[Somali piracy] isn't like Pirates of the Caribbean, where they have a top-secret hideout in some hidden cove that nobody can find. They are operating from villages in plain view of the dozens of navel vessels we have sent to the area.

Jeez! Give me command of just one destroyer for a single day and I will put an abrupt end to the entire piracy problem. There are too many Somalis anyway. Nobody will miss the ones who live along the coast. The inland Somalis can make an honest living at farming - I'll even offer to pay top dollar for any agricultural products they have to sell. But the ones on the coast have to die.

In my experience, people are motivated by only two things: fear and greed. The Somalis have tasted greed. Now let us teach them fear.

Onion Eater,

I believe some form of military action might be helpful, but such action would need to comply with the Laws of War e.g., compliance would rule out indiscriminate bombardment. Attacks that target pirates, pirate facilities/boats and/or weapons would be legitimate...

There is a possibility that agreements forged with Somali tribal elders might reduce the need for military action by reducing piracy. If that avenue is productive, then military operations might not be necessary or they could be more limited than described above.

Don-

You didn't seem to think too highly of my plan for stopping Somali piracy.

It is important that Israel's military response be larger than Hamas had expected. Such a response could recalibarate Hamas' calculations and provide a new level of relative calm.

But isn't your plan for Hamas essentially the same?

Let us speak clearly. When I talk about teaching the Somalis fear and you talk about recalibarating Hamas' calculations, we are talking about the same thing. And there is already a perfectly good word for that in the English language. It is called "terror."

So, first of all, let us cut out all the weasel words and just say what we mean.

Now, having cleared that up, let us analyze when terror is effective and when it is not. This question actually has a very simple answer: Terror is effective when one's opposition is motivated by greed; it is ineffective when one's opposition is motivated by ideology.

You are an economist and, as such, you tend to cast every situation in terms of incentives. Actually, that only works when money is involved. For instance, if someone cheats you in business, it is feasible to just twist the screws until he coughs up the money that he owes you. After all, "business is business" as they say and, after a certain point, the guy just makes the rational decision that paying you is cheaper than getting his office burned down for a second time. (Or his knees broken which, I've heard, kinda hurts.)

But terror does not work on people who are motivated by ideology. It is not working for Hamas, is it? No matter how many bus stops they blow up, the Israelis aren't going to just give up. But it is not going to work against Hamas either. Hamas and the Israelis are both motivated by ideology.

So, Don, you have basically got it backwards. You want to negotiate with tribal elders in Somalia and terrorize Hamas into submission. Do it the other way around: Terrorize the Somalis and negotiate with the Palestinians.

If negotiations don't work, then you have to kill them all. And I don't mean kill a few to scare the rest - that's terrorism, which we have already discussed - I mean kill all 1,657,155 of them. It is feasible. The Russians killed all the Chechens, didn't they? If that is what you want, then don't give us any more of these weasel words about recalibrating people's calculations. Just say what you mean.

Last edited:
Don-

Let us speak clearly. When I talk about teaching the Somalis fear and you talk about recalibarating Hamas' calculations, we are talking about the same thing. And there is already a perfectly good word for that in the English language. It is called "terror."

So, first of all, let us cut out all the weasel words and just say what we mean.

Now, having cleared that up, let us analyze when terror is effective and when it is not. This question actually has a very simple answer: Terror is effective when one's opposition is motivated by greed; it is ineffective when one's opposition is motivated by ideology.

You are an economist and, as such, you tend to cast every situation in terms of incentives. Actually, that only works when money is involved. For instance, if someone cheats you in business, it is feasible to just twist the screws until he coughs up the money that he owes you. After all, "business is business" as they say and, after a certain point, the guy just makes the rational decision that paying you is cheaper than getting his office burned down for a second time. (Or his knees broken which, I've heard, kinda hurts.)

But terror does not work on people who are motivated by ideology. It is not working for Hamas, is it? No matter how many bus stops they blow up, the Israelis aren't going to just give up. But it is not going to work against Hamas either. Hamas and the Israelis are both motivated by ideology.

So, Don, you have basically got it backwards. You want to negotiate with tribal elders in Somalia and terrorize Hamas into submission. Do it the other way around: Terrorize the Somalis and negotiate with the Palestinians.

If negotiations don't work, then you have to kill them all. And I don't mean kill a few to scare the rest - that's terrorism, which we have already discussed - I mean kill all 1,657,155 of them. It is feasible. The Russians killed all the Chechens, didn't they? If that is what you want, then don't give us any more of these weasel words about recalibrating people's calculations. Just say what you mean.

I don't agree. The US did not need to kill all of the Japanese to end that conflict, even though the Japanese were about as ideological as they come.

What is necessary, to speak plainly, is to cause the enemy, whether it be Hamas, these pirates or anyone else, to despair of their goals and of the belief that they would ever be achievable, while continuing to deonstrate to them that pursuit of those goals will only bring the opposite.

Only at that point can you "negotiate" with an enemy whose core objectives are wholly incompatible with your minimum condiitions to end the conflict (in the case of Hamas, Israel's bare minimum condition is to continue to exist as a sovereign state, while the Palestinians' goals include the destruction of Israel).

And I don't think you need to use terrorism against a civilian population to achieve this. You do, however, need to utterly annihilate the military/political body that is pursuing the enemy's goals, while maintaining pressure on all of those who take active steps to support it and demonstrating that the objectives being fought for are unachievable and illusory, while genuinely abandoning those goals will bring real benefits (either in the form of actual benefits or an end to negative consequences of failing to abandon them).

I don't agree. The US did not need to kill all of the Japanese to end that conflict, even though the Japanese were about as ideological as they come.

The Emperor of Japan was considered an "incarnate divinity." According to the Japanese constitution of 1889, the Emperor had a divine power over his country, which was derived from the Shinto belief that the Japanese Imperial Family was the offspring of the sun goddess Amaterasu.

When Hirohito surrendered on 15 August 1945, they all surrendered. I read about a U.S. soldier who, only a few months later, fell asleep on a train and was lost in rural Japan among illiterate villagers. In spite of the complete language barrier, they managed to figure out where his destination was by looking for recognizable place names on his written orders, fed him and put him on the correct train. Their emperor had told them to surrender and they were carrying out his orders to the best of their ability.

If Hirohito had told them to fight to the last man, woman and child, they would have done so. We would have literally been machine gunning children and old people charging at us with sharpened sticks.

The Palestinians do not have an emperor. What they have are the deeds to land and houses owned by their grandparents.

Niccolo Machiavelli said:
A son can bear with equanimity the loss of his father, but the loss of his inheritance may drive him to despair.

Thus it is that the Palestinians fight on with the audacity of despair.

Macchiavelli is posting here now, is he? :roll:

Don-

Onion Eater,

No. I do not favor indiscriminate bombardment in Gaza nor Somalia. Any attacks should be focused on military objectives consistent with the Laws of War. That means no indiscriminate bombardment and it means no deliberate targeting of civilians. I did not rule out military action. In fact, I suggested that some form of military action might be helpful. I also noted that such action would need to comply with the Laws of War e.g., compliance would rule out indiscriminate bombardment. Hence, attacks that target pirates, pirate facilities/boats and/or weapons would be legitimate. They would be legitimate, because those objectives are proper military objectives.

In addition, there is a key difference between the Gaza Strip and Somalia. That difference concerns the extent of national interests involved. Israel has vital interests at stake in protecting is population from bombardment. The interests involved with respect to the Somali piracy are much lower than that threshold. Moreover, some practical alternatives might exist in Somalia, even as the country lacks a legitimate central government and remains torn by strife/civil conflict. One alternative would be to secure a narrow sea corridor for the passage of vital cargo (mainly oil). All other vessels would be advised to either shift to a different course (more expensive, but the military is not obligated to serve as commercial security) or hire sufficient security personnel/implement security devices, etc. to lower their risk of being seized by pirates. Recreational vessels should not be present anywhere near the affected waters.

Let us speak clearly. When I talk about teaching the Somalis fear and you talk about recalibarating Hamas' calculations, we are talking about the same thing.

If one were to target just the pirates, that would be one thing. It appeared to me that you were going beyond that.

Furthermore, I cannot overlook the reality that the international community also bears a not insignificant level of blame on account of its repeatedly paying ransoms. Those ransoms have made piracy more lucrative than it would otherwise be e.g., the pirates would have great difficulty in selling the cargoes of seized merchant ships (time, effort, lack of documentation of ownership of the cargoes, etc.). If piracy were not lucrative, then there would be less of it. Ransoms should not be paid. When the ransoms are paid, those making payment--their intentions notwithstanding--are underwriting piracy. Not surprisingly, there are now piracy IPOs so to speak where pirates are able to raise funds for attacks. Afterward, those funds would later be repaid with some of the ransom proceeds they receive.

You want to negotiate with tribal elders in Somalia and terrorize Hamas into submission. Do it the other way around: Terrorize the Somalis and negotiate with the Palestinians.

The differences are enormous. The tribal elders are not the pirates. They may perhaps have a degree of influence over the pirates. That remains to be seen. It is better to test something to see if it is effective than to ignore that possible option. However, that is just one option.

In stark contrast, Hamas has made abundantly and repeatedly clear through its words and actions that it will not agree to peace with Israel and it remains committed to the goal expressed in its charter of Israel's elimination. That President Carter was duped by a Hamas offer of a 10-year ceasefire that would be transitional does not change that reality. If Hamas were to accept the Madrid Quartet's framework, then my position would on that matter would be different. I would then suggest taking a risk of diplomatic engagement to test their sincerity. However, because Hamas is a revolutionary group that is bent on smashing the status quo (a Middle East that includes Israel), not finding a way to live within it, and because Hamas has tied its charter to religion, it remains highly unlikely that Hamas would shift position anytime soon. The Somali elders are not beholden to such an ideology.

The concept of deterrence does not amount to nothing more than "weasel words." If deterrence is established, it can provide stability. Stability can reduce the risk to life that would exist in a full-fledged military conflict.

The Emperor of Japan was considered an "incarnate divinity." According to the Japanese constitution of 1889, the Emperor had a divine power over his country, which was derived from the Shinto belief that the Japanese Imperial Family was the offspring of the sun goddess Amaterasu.

When Hirohito surrendered on 15 August 1945, they all surrendered. I read about a U.S. soldier who, only a few months later, fell asleep on a train and was lost in rural Japan among illiterate villagers. In spite of the complete language barrier, they managed to figure out where his destination was by looking for recognizable place names on his written orders, fed him and put him on the correct train. Their emperor had told them to surrender and they were carrying out his orders to the best of their ability.

If Hirohito had told them to fight to the last man, woman and child, they would have done so. We would have literally been machine gunning children and old people charging at us with sharpened sticks.

The Palestinians do not have an emperor. What they have are the deeds to land and houses owned by their grandparents.

Thus it is that the Palestinians fight on with the audacity of despair.

They do not need an emporor to be broken. Lots and lots of societies in the apst have been so pacified. At some point they need to clue into the fact that the choice is not between accepting a modest peace agreement or getting everything, the chioice is between accepting that modest peace agreement or continually getting their asses handed to them whenever their "armed groups" murder too many Jews at a time.

The Japanese went from one of the most militant to one of the most pacifist civilizations in the span of several decades. That would not have happened without causing them (including both the leadership AND the people) to despair of their former aspirations.

The concept of deterrence does not amount to nothing more than "weasel words."

Perhaps the phrase "weasel words" was too harsh. "Euphemism" is a better word. Deterence is a euphemism for terror.

The tribal elders are not the pirates.

Of course they are. Hillary Clinton says that it takes a village to raise a child. I don't know about that, but I do know that it takes a village to hijack a cargo ship.

The achilles heel of this post and of many others you have written is your insistence that there is a difference between civilians and soldiers. That is true in the U.S., but it reflects a fundamental misunderstanding of how clan-based societies operate. The entire clan/tribe/village operates as a single unit. Of course, there is a division of labor and physically demanding jobs are performed by the young men, but neither they nor anybody else in the clan conceptually divides them from their elders or from frail members who perform crucial but less glamorous tasks.

Suppose that an AH-6 Little Bird helicopter is chopping your position to pieces with its M230 chain gun. You'll have to think quick! Your options are:

1) Using your "tribal elders are not pirates" logic you conclude that the pilot is not a combatant. Thus, the Laws of War demand that you use a precision sniper rifle to shoot the co-pilot, who is the one at the chain gun's trigger.

2) You launch an SA-7, blowing the helicopter out of the air and killing both the pilot and the co-pilot.

Obviously, option #2 is the only one that actually works.

But don't feel bad: You're in good company. G. W. Bush suffers from the same misconception that you do. He prosecuted and hung Saddam Hussein for the Dujail Massacre which, ironically, is one of the few actions Hussein ever took that was fully justified.

What would you and Bush have had Hussein do? Try to pick out exactly who had fired on his convoy and call them "combatants" while calling everybody else in town "innocent civilians?" Obviously, every man, woman and child in Dujail was in on the plot. In such a tightly-knit community, how could they not be?

Which is not to say that Hussein didn't deserve the ambush he got. Perhaps they should have been better shots. I and a lot of other people around the world would have applauded if they had actually got him. But they didn't and then, decades later, we have this absurd kangaroo court hanging him because he didn't surgically cut out only those who had actually fired their weapons on that day so long ago.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom