• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Bolton says Trump might have pulled the U.S. out of NATO if he had been reelected

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Bolton says Trump might have pulled the U.S. out of NATO if he had been reelected

iu

Former national security adviser John Bolton told The Washington Post Friday that he thinks former president Donald Trump would have pulled the United States out of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization had he been reelected in 2020. Bolton, in an interview with Post opinions editor at large Michael Duffy, said the former president came close to pulling the United States out of NATO in 2018, a claim he originally made in a memoir published in 2020. In his book, Bolton wrote that he had to convince Trump not to quit NATO in the middle of a 2018 summit. On Friday, Bolton, who served as a top Trump adviser from 2018 to 2019, offered more details on their conversations that day, saying he “had my heart in my throat at that NATO meeting.” “I didn’t know what the president would do,” Bolton said. “He called me up to his seat seconds before he gave the speech. And I said, look, go right up to the line, but don’t go over it. I sat back down. I had no idea what he’d do.”

“In a second Trump term, I think he may well have withdrawn from NATO,” Bolton said. “And I think [Russian President Vladimir] Putin was waiting for that.” Bolton’s remarks Friday offer new insights into Trump’s views on NATO. During his presidency, Trump frequently sought to undermine the alliance. Trump has recently tried to revise his history with NATO, saying Monday that there “would be no NATO” if it hadn’t been for him. Bolton, who has become a vocal critic of his former boss, recently drew Trump’s ire after telling conservative network Newsmax that the former president “barely knew where Ukraine was.”Bolton, in that interview, also denied that Trump was tough on Russia, and claimed that the former president complained about any sanctions on Russian oligarchs in the United States. Bolton has also said Trump “did not” do a better job with Russia than President Biden has.

If Donald Trump were still president, he would have given Putin a green light to invade Ukraine just as he gave the green light for Erdogan to invade the Kurd homeland of Rojava in northern Syria.

‘Valuable asset’: Why Putin didn’t invade Ukraine during Trump’s presidency?

No 'might' there.
Trump, the Putin puppet, purposely tried to weaken the US and European alliance and was working hard towards tearing NATO apart at the behest of his puppet master Putin.

Trump might have pulled the U.S. out of NATO​

That might have been a very good idea.

After all, NATO doesn't really need the US. Lots of rich European countries to take up the slack.

So it is true then?
What's true?

That Trump "might" have done something? Sure.

It's even MORE true that Trump would have taken his economic warfare up against the EU if he had been reelected.

So what?

What's true?

That Trump "might" have done something? Sure.

It's even MORE true that Trump would have taken his economic warfare up against the EU if he had been reelected.

So what?
That Trump was secretly aligned with Putin against the democracies. Now everything he did makes sense.

Didn't Trump push European countries to spend more on their militaries? If successful, how is that undermining NATO? Bit confused here.

John Bolton coming out against Trump? What's his motivation?

Can John Bolton be trusted? I say no. He is a right wing dude more closely aligned with ALEC and Bush family of crime Insiders.

John Bolton comes and goes, disappears the suddenly he places himself back into the news.

No HE cannot be trusted as a person for the people. Slick talker likes to manipulate for the right
wing. It's easy at this point to come out against Trump because he is such an unpopular turd.
Bolton is also a turd.

Bolton sure has been making the rounds. I wonder what other "might of" scenarios he'd like to share? Taking it all with a grain of salt, I have to remind myself that at his core, he is a lawyer involved in politics.

John Bolton coming out against Trump? What's his motivation?

Can John Bolton be trusted? I say no. He is a right wing dude more closely aligned with ALEC and Bush family of crime.

John Bolton comes and goes, disappears the suddenly he places himself back into the news.

No HE cannot be trusted as a person for the people. Slick talker likes to manipulate for the right
wing. It's easy at this point to come out against Trump because he is such an unpopular turd.
Bolton is also a turd.
Bolton is a neocon and that ideology is very pro-NATO

It seems at times a USA President has too much authority that bypasses we the citizens. Almost
dictator status.

WE the people should be concerned about our quality of life and our tax dollar abuse.

NATO is a war machine puppet ....... Also I would not be surprised to see private military operations moving
into UKRAINE to protect our access to UKRAINE natural resources.

Private Military got a huge boost from Bush/Cheney at enormous cost to we taxpayers. I'm talking Blackwater which has rebranded itself 3 times. These groups get paid more per day than our troops make in a month. And they do not answer to our military brass.

Last edited:
"MIGHT" "MIGHT" "MIGHT"

One really stupid thread.

Trump did not pull the US out of NATO!

Biden was president when Russia invaded!

The real question is whether the health and size of Boltons mustache correlates to how much war is in the world at any given time. /s

Didn't Trump push European countries to spend more on their militaries? If successful, how is that undermining NATO? Bit confused here.
He just continued the Obama policy.

The deplorables are so thoroughly brainwashed they'll elect any crook or dumbass.

That's why Fox/etc is killing us.
They are gullible anti-American trash, they put trump and putin over country, they should live in Russia where they belong.

Does the Executive Branch have the power to unilaterally abrogate treaties? I am not saying it doesn't; I genuinely do not know.

Bolton sure has been making the rounds. I wonder what other "might of" scenarios he'd like to share? Taking it all with a grain of salt, I have to remind myself that at his core, he is a lawyer involved in politics.
He is a criminal lawyer or not .........

That Trump was secretly aligned with Putin against the democracies. Now everything he did makes sense.
No. He wasn't.

No. He wasn't.

Back
Top Bottom