• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Bolt action .308

Artymoon

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Looking to add a bolt action .308 to my collection. I don't really need one I suppose, but the heart wants what the heart wants. At the moment, leaning towards a scout style - probably a Savage 110. Anyone have one or have any experience with it or something similar?

1643858740052.png

Disclaimer - I realize I've put this in the GC forum so I'm accepting the consequence that some may not be able talk about a particular type of gun but rather the horror of it all.

Looking to add a bolt action .308 to my collection. I don't really need one I suppose, but the heart wants what the heart wants. At the moment, leaning towards a scout style - probably a Savage 110. Anyone have one or have any experience with it or something similar?

View attachment 67372496

Disclaimer - I realize I've put this in the GC forum so I'm accepting the consequence that some may not be able talk about a particular type of gun but rather the horror of it all.
I was able to buy one of the Remington Police 308 rifles at an excellent price around 30 years ago and haven't found a need to get something better. I also got a great deal on a similar Remington 700 "mountain rifle" in the same caliber-it is a very light weight rifle with a kevlar or similar stock. I never have used it much, back then I had some friends who were into big game hunting in Montana but I never was able to make it out there when they did the hunting

I was able to buy one of the Remington Police 308 rifles at an excellent price around 30 years ago and haven't found a need to get something better. I also got a great deal on a similar Remington 700 "mountain rifle" in the same caliber-it is a very light weight rifle with a kevlar or similar stock. I never have used it much, back then I had some friends who were into big game hunting in Montana but I never was able to make it out there when they did the hunting
That was my thought - find one I like and that would probably be the one I stick with. I imagine I would not use this as much but for some reason having a nice bolt action in a caliber that can reach out further just sounds right.

That was my thought - find one I like and that would probably be the one I stick with. I imagine I would not use this as much but for some reason having a nice bolt action in a caliber that can reach out further just sounds right.
I've been tempted to buy some tricked out long range rig but 300 yards is the longest range at the two clubs I belong to, so didn't buy something I never thought could out perform what I already have. Now if I had access to a 600-1000 yard range, maybe it would be different

View attachment 67372496

Savage rifles had a pretty good reputation for accuracy back in my day. I like the style of that one pictured, except for the red dot or whatever sight.

Savage rifles had a pretty good reputation for accuracy back in my day. I like the style of that one pictured, except for the red dot or whatever sight.
that RMR style sight is usually a speed sight for close range work. a rifle like that deserves a really good variable power scope like a Leopold or a US Optics or NIghtforce scope

Rem 700 bull barrel (SPS Tactical - ACC) w/ Leupold VX-R Patrol 3-9x40. Not crazy expensive but gets the job done. It's a little heavy to lug around all day but accurate out of the box and there are TONS of aftermarket options available. It's not the McMillan TAC-308 I wanted but came in at roughly 1/10 the price.

Rem 700 bull barrel (SPS Tactical - ACC) w/ Leupold VX-R Patrol 3-9x40. Not crazy expensive but gets the job done. It's a little heavy to lug around all day but accurate out of the box and there are TONS of aftermarket options available. It's not the McMillan TAC-308 I wanted but came in at roughly 1/10 the price.
The now retired sniper on the regional FBI HRT had one of those McMillian rigs. He told me I could try it out if I wanted BUT

I had to take the log book and write down every round, where it hit, what the wind speed and humidity was (I understand why). I settled my curiosity by just picking it up and dry firing it a couple times. He said the rig with the scope was around 3500 at the time

I've heard from others that they think pretty highly of Savage, especially when you consider it won't break the bank. My plan would be to save up for nice scope if I can afford it. :)

The smoothness of the action on a Tikka has to be experienced to be believed.
I'd not considered them. First glance looks nice and at a reasonable price.

Yeah this is a gun control section, not a gun masturbation session.

I've been tempted to buy some tricked out long range rig but 300 yards is the longest range at the two clubs I belong to, so didn't buy something I never thought could out perform what I already have. Now if I had access to a 600-1000 yard range, maybe it would be different

An acquaintance of mine was a Camp Perry shooter, and had a 1000 yard range at his house back in the day. Pre- cell phone, but they had a land line set up between the firing line and the target pit.

I have easy access to a 1000 yard range and easy access to public land where we can set targets out as far as we'd like. I've got a Savage 10T in an XLR chassis with a Burris XTR II 4-20 scope chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor that can easily reach out 1000 yards at my altitude. Good fun.

I have easy access to a 1000 yard range and easy access to public land where we can set targets out as far as we'd like. I've got a Savage 10T in an XLR chassis with a Burris XTR II 4-20 scope chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor that can easily reach out 1000 yards at my altitude. Good fun.

And the relevance of that to gun control ?

:rolleyes:

For the love of god, arty, get a f***in' life!
so trolling pro gun advocates and lying about gun owners is a "life" but going out shooting is not? Okie dokie

Yeah this is a gun control section, not a gun masturbation session.
that's your problem, you and many other gun haters, project sexual issues onto guns and pretend we who actually shoot regularly, have the same issues you do.

that's your problem, you and many other gun haters, project sexual issues onto guns and pretend we who actually shoot regularly, have the same issues you do.

LMAO
Pot, Kettle, Black

Post#16:
...I just understand why a party led by an incompetent and senile pawn, with an affirmative action incompetent quota pick as his backup would want to continue to engage in mental masturbation over a minor riot, rather than deal with raging inflation and the plague that senile joe said he would rid us of

LMAO
Pot, Kettle, Black

Post#16:

you realize that your stupid argument has no merit. Mental masturbation is a well known term. You trying to denigrate gun owners with projection is moronic. And when I see you complaining about threads that discuss gun use, I realize your hatred of legitimate gun use goes beyond a mercenary attack on our rights

you realize that your stupid argument has no merit. Mental masturbation is a well known term. You trying to denigrate gun owners with projection is moronic. And when I see you complaining about threads that discuss gun use, I realize your hatred of legitimate gun use goes beyond a mercenary attack on our rights

I realize that you are at best inconsistent - at worst some might call hypocritical

You condemn some for "sexual fixation", yet you yourself are no stranger to using sexual metaphors.

:rolleyes:

Water-skiing in Maalaea Bay (Maui) with several very hot chicks is "great fun", art... :cool:
lots of people find those activities fun. and.......

Back
Top Bottom