• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Bolivian Presidential plane re-routed by EU countries.

Higgins86

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
BBC News - Spain 'told Edward Snowden was on Bolivia president's plane'

Spain and other European countries were told that US whistleblower Edward Snowden was on board the Bolivian president's plane earlier this week, the Spanish foreign minister has said

The incident has been widely condemned by President Morales and several other South American countries, who have demanded an apology from the countries involved.

The Bolivian president blamed Washington for pressurising European countries into refusing him passage, and threatened to close the US embassy in La Paz.

"We have dignity, sovereignty. Without America, we are better off politically and democratically," he said.

Bolivia went as far as saying that if this had been done the AIR Force One it would of been seen as an act of war and that they will not hesitate to close the US embassy if this aggression continues. How many more toys are the US going to throw out of the pram before this is over?

BBC News - Spain 'told Edward Snowden was on Bolivia president's plane'

Spain and other European countries were told that US whistleblower Edward Snowden was on board the Bolivian president's plane earlier this week, the Spanish foreign minister has said

The incident has been widely condemned by President Morales and several other South American countries, who have demanded an apology from the countries involved.

The Bolivian president blamed Washington for pressurising European countries into refusing him passage, and threatened to close the US embassy in La Paz.

"We have dignity, sovereignty. Without America, we are better off politically and democratically," he said.

Bolivia went as far as saying that if this had been done the AIR Force One it would of been seen as an act of war and that they will not hesitate to close the US embassy if this aggression continues. How many more toys are the US going to throw out of the pram before this is over?

I can see the American Government throwing a Massive tantrum over this if it keeps going on. I side with the Bolivians on this issue, the European countries have no right to have their aerospace policies dictated by America, just because the US Government wants a man and they thought its only thought that he was on the plane, they had no reliable evidence that he was on the plane and they interrupted the flight of a sovereign leader who has the same right to complain as the US does. They're right in saying that if it had been air force one that had landed the Us government would have thrown a tantrum of unbelievable proportions. I'm thinking that the US will end up tipping over the pram and need its nappy changed since the amount of crap that has been released will be phenomenal (bit graphic? :mrgreen:)

I can see the American Government throwing a Massive tantrum over this if it keeps going on. I side with the Bolivians on this issue, the European countries have no right to have their aerospace policies dictated by America, just because the US Government wants a man and they thought its only thought that he was on the plane, they had no reliable evidence that he was on the plane and they interrupted the flight of a sovereign leader who has the same right to complain as the US does. They're right in saying that if it had been air force one that had landed the Us government would have thrown a tantrum of unbelievable proportions. I'm thinking that the US will end up tipping over the pram and need its nappy changed since the amount of crap that has been released will be phenomenal (bit graphic? :mrgreen:)

All they are doing is making snowden and his cause look good.

All they are doing is making snowden and his cause look good.

I suppose he's running from the imperialist Americans in their eyes.

I suppose he's running from the imperialist Americans in their eyes.

exactly and they are infringing on his basic right to seek asylum as well as breaking international law. They look like the school yard bully who got a bloody nose from the little skinny kid.

exactly and they are infringing on his basic right to seek asylum as well as breaking international law. They look like the school yard bully who got a bloody nose from the little skinny kid.

I can relate :mrgreen:

And we wonder why the world thinks we rank last in international relations.

And we wonder why the world thinks we rank last in international relations.

I think a lot of times the US is caught between a rock and a hard place, constantly trying to find the right balance which when your the most powerful country in the world is hard as many other empires have discovered. However is this case they are def playing the bad guy very well and Snowden will continue to gain supporters.

An act of war? Really, Bolivia?

OK, let's go to war. Should take about 10 minutes.

See, this is why some countries don't like America

The US government doesn't give a damn about Snowden. The US government wants to make an example out of him just as they are doing with Manning. Whistleblowers will be hunted down like dogs and punished unmercifully. That is the message Leviathan wants to send and it doesn't care what it might damage doing it, including foreign relations or domestic laws or international laws or trade agreements.

could you imagine what would happen if anyone forced Air Force One to land?

I think a lot of times the US is caught between a rock and a hard place, constantly trying to find the right balance which when your the most powerful country in the world is hard as many other empires have discovered. However is this case they are def playing the bad guy very well and Snowden will continue to gain supporters.

It's really easy. The U.S. simply needs to stay out of the business of other countries. If you are the most powerful country in the world, that should eliminate the need to fuss with the internals of other governments. We aren't a good choice to take on militarily so there shouldn't be a lot of fear. It's ridiculous. Live and let live.

I don't imagine that a U.S. president would be stupid enough to say or do anything that would make a country suspect he had a fugitive (hero, patriot, second coming of Elvis, whatever) aboard Air Force One.

The U.S. doesn't need to posture like that.

I don't imagine that a U.S. president would be stupid enough to say or do anything that would make a country suspect he had a fugitive (hero, patriot, second coming of Elvis, whatever) aboard Air Force One.

Do they have any evidence that he may have been on board the plane? (Second coming of Elvis :lamo)

What exactly did they say or do that would lead the US and its allies to believe he was on the plane? What's that old saying about assumptions?

I think that is asylum from persecution, not prosecution.

Yeah, we'd blow them into a bajillion pieces.

But we wouldn't harbor someone like this in Air Force One. That's why Bolivia is....Bolivia.

See, this is why some countries don't like America

And this is why we don't, and should never, care.

We keep 80 percent of the planet afloat singlehandedly, and they don't appreciate it one lick. So why should we care what they think anymore?

We keep 80 percent of the planet afloat singlehandedly, and they don't appreciate it one lick. So why should we care what they think anymore?

That 80% being....
Never caring about intervening in the business of other countries would be a good start

We keep 80 percent of the planet afloat with our flimsy currency, military threats, and illegal covert action singlehandedly, and they don't appreciate it one lick. So why should we care what they think anymore?

Fixed that for you.

Yeah, we'd blow them into a bajillion pieces.

But we wouldn't harbor someone like this in Air Force One. That's why Bolivia is....Bolivia.

still rules are rules...

Back
Top Bottom