• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Bogus emotional breakdown by Brussard

Stinger

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Remember this converstaion with Arron Brussard the president of St. Bernards parrish in Lousisana from Meet the Press

MR. RUSSERT: And we are back. Jefferson Parish President Broussard, let me start with you. You just heard the director of Homeland Security's explanation of what has happened this last week. What is your reaction?
MR. AARON BROUSSARD: We have been abandoned by our own country. Hurricane Katrina will go down in history as one of the worst storms ever to hit an American coast, but the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina will go down as one of the worst abandonments of Americans on American soil ever in U.S. history. I am personally asking our bipartisan congressional delegation here in Louisiana to immediately begin congressional hearings to find out just what happened here. Why did it happen? Who needs to be fired? And believe me, they need to be fired right away, because we still have weeks to go in this tragedy. We have months to go. We have years to go. And whoever is at the top of this totem pole, that totem pole needs to be chain-sawed off and we've got to start with some new leadership.
It's not just Katrina that caused all these deaths in New Orleans here. Bureaucracy has committed murder here in the greater New Orleans area, and bureaucracy has to stand trial before Congress now. It's so obvious. FEMA needs more congressional funding. It needs more presidential support. It needs to be a Cabinet-level director. It needs to be an independent agency that will be able to fulfill its mission to work in partnership with state and local governments around America. FEMA needs to be empowered to do the things it was created to do. It needs to come somewhere, like New Orleans, with all of its force immediately, without red tape, without bureaucracy, act immediately with common sense and leadership, and save lives. Forget about the property. We can rebuild the property. It's got to be able to come in and save lives.
We need strong leadership at the top of America right now in order to accomplish this and to-- reconstructing FEMA.
MR. RUSSERT: Mr. Broussard, let me ask--I want to ask--should...
MR. BROUSSARD: You know, just some quick examples..........................................

MR. RUSSERT: Hold on. Hold on, sir. Shouldn't the mayor of New Orleans and the governor of New Orleans bear some responsibility? Couldn't they have been much more forceful, much more effective and much more organized in evacuating the area?
MR. BROUSSARD: Sir, they were told like me, every single day, "The cavalry's coming," on a federal level, "The cavalry's coming, the cavalry's coming, the cavalry's coming." I have just begun to hear the hoofs of the cavalry. The cavalry's still not here yet, but I've begun to hear the hoofs, and we're almost a week out.
MR. RUSSERT: All right.
MR. BROUSSARD: I'm telling you most importantly I want to thank my public employees...
MR. RUSSERT: All right.
MR. BROUSSARD: ...that have worked 24/7. They're burned out, the doctors, the nurses. And I want to give you one last story and I'll shut up and let you tell me whatever you want to tell me. The guy who runs this building I'm in, emergency management, he's responsible for everything. His mother was trapped in St. Bernard nursing home and every day she called him and said, "Are you coming, son? Is somebody coming?" And he said, "Yeah, Mama, somebody's coming to get you. Somebody's coming to get you on Tuesday. Somebody's coming to get you on Wednesday. Somebody's coming to get you on Thursday. Somebody's coming to get you on Friday." And she drowned Friday night. She drowned Friday night.
MR. RUSSERT: Mr. President...
MR. BROUSSARD: Nobody's coming to get us. Nobody's coming to get us. The secretary has promised. Everybody's promised. They've had press conferences. I'm sick of the press conferences. For God sakes, shut up and send us somebody.
MR. RUSSERT: Just take a pause, Mr. President.

Well seems it was a bogus story

From MSNBC
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9368952

MSNBC and NBC News
Updated: 10:55 a.m. ET Sept. 19, 2005

WASHINGTON - The Jefferson Parish president's emotional retelling of a mother's desperate calls from a New Orleans nursing home included details that conflict with the timeline of the tragedy.
The story, of a colleague's mother begging her son for rescue as flood waters rose after Hurricane Katrina, came to prominence on Sunday, Sept. 4, when Aaron Broussard, president of Jefferson Parish in New Orleans, was interviewed by Tim Russert on NBC's Meet the Press. (MSNBC is a Microsoft-NBC joint venture.)
New details and interviews with the son whose mother died in the flood show that the tragedy unfolded from Saturday through Monday, Aug. 29 — not Monday through Friday, Sept. 2 as recounted by Broussard. The owners of the nursing home were indicted Tuesday for the deaths of more than 30 residents, which officials say occurred on Aug. 29.......................................

.......................The chronology of the phone calls described by Broussard came under particular scrutiny by bloggers.
Rodrigue said he didn’t see or hear Broussard’s comments on Meet the Press. When told of the sequence of phone calls that Broussard described on Meet the Press, Rodrigue said “No, no, that’s not true.”

Of course the question remains with knowledge of the storm coming why didn't the man evacuate his mother out himself and make sure she was properly taken care of. Why is Bush and the administration to blame for her death which occur Monday night during the flood not the following Friday as Brussard stated. Will he go back on national TV and explain himself and issue an appology and admit it was HIS and the GOVENORS responsibility?

Um. So the fact it happened a fews days earlier means it's not a tragedy anymore?

I'm betting he or even the son didn't actually know specifically what day she died. For God's sake, the man broke down and wept on national television.

The guy's a *****; just like anyone else that stood by with their arms crossed waiting for someone to come take care of them. Just like the Governor who decided to snub her nose, before asking for President Bush's help. Just like the rest of America that allowed their emotions to control there focus. His breakdown represented the American general response after it allowing opinionated journalism to control their emotions. The survival instincts of many of these people were attrocious.

How many people actually died during the wait for the feds?
How many of those people neglected personal responsibility?

Americans have gotten used to the idea that there will be someone there to wipe their asses for them. Their excuse for doing nothing is "I pay taxes." It's a self help world in the end and America needs to wake up and recognize that they are as vulnerable as anyone else on this earth. The only difference is that they have a federal government that can mobolize on a mass scale and come to the rescue; however imperfect the "cavalry" was.

Last edited:
I think the problem is, however, once it had actually hit, there was little the local and state governments could do, and the Feds were too slow. What were the residents meant to do? Wade through a city of water and then walk all the way to Houston?

Of course not. Once the storm hit it was too late to take personal responsibility. At that point it was all about surving and waiting. Many allowed themselves to become "victims."

As many hurricanes that smack into Florida and the North Carolina shores, it is unforgivable how Louisiana prepared.

The Florida Ketys and Texas are showing everyone what the State should do. If I was from New Orleans and I was caught in this, I would be embarrased. Especially, if I was the Governor.

And if the State fails, shouldn't the Feds take actions immediately, rather than twiddling their thumbs and waiting until they can be bothered?

vergiss said:
And if the State fails, shouldn't the Feds take actions immediately, rather than twiddling their thumbs and waiting until they can be bothered?
Nope...

The Federal Government cannot jump in and remove the state and city authority...This country is the United STATES, and the Feds can't barge in and interfere whenever THEY think it's necessary.

If Bush jumped in, the call would be for his head and that he was abusing the office and the Democtatic Governor would be screaming "How DARE he!"

There WAS an emergency plan for the city....It was not implemented correctly...If it was, the problems would have been much less...But it wasn't...

Now all of the assistance is being done after that fact.

vergiss said:

Nope. If they did, it would be "martial law." And I can assure you that they weren't "twiddling their thumbs." The system is in place to protect our freedoms and liberties from government interference. You can't have it both ways. Now..if they do something about the laws that would allow the President the authority to roll troops through an American city for certain situations...then the Federal Government would have no excuse not to get involved immediately.

This wouldn't be a problem either way in the case of an attack.

Florida and Texas are doing it correctly. Plenty of states have done it correctly for decades prior. What happened in Louisiana?

Last edited:
GySgt said:
Nope. If they did, it would be "martial law."

Actually, martial law was declared before the hurricane even hit. Weren't you watching the news?

vergiss said:
Um. So the fact it happened a fews days earlier means it's not a tragedy anymore?

No it means that Brussard was lying when he claimed she waited 5 days to be rescued and died because the Federal Gov did not rescue her, he lied when he claimed she was calling at all.

vergiss said:
I'm betting he or even the son didn't actually know specifically what day she died.

And you lose, go read the whole articles cited.

vergiss said:
For God's sake, the man broke down and wept on national television.

It's called grand standing, usually done by people trying to CYA. Why did Brussard have his EMA there to rescue them? Why did the son leave his mother there in first place? Her death has nothing to do with the Fed's or Bush.

I have read the whole article, whereas it doesn't seem that you have. It never says whether or not he knew when his mother actually died, at the time, let alone whether Brussard did. Even the title of the article says "misunderstanding". That's very different to a flat-out lie. Who's to say that he even heard it direct from Rodrigue? Another collegue might have told him the story, and he unknowingly passed on heresay.

Broussard must have been confused “because I was calling, not my mother calling me, I was calling her,” Rodrigue said.

Her death has nothing to do with the Feds or Bush? How many deaths does it take before it has something to do with them? She was an American citizen and your elected government is responsible for your welfare. I can't believe you even said that.

vergiss said:
I have read the whole article, whereas it doesn't seem that you have. It never says whether or not he knew when his mother actually died, at the time, let alone whether Brussard did. Even the title of the article says "misunderstanding". That's very different to a flat-out lie. Who's to say that he even heard it direct from Rodrigue? Another collegue might have told him the story, and he unknowingly passed on heresay.

Her death has nothing to do with the Feds or Bush? How many deaths does it take before it has something to do with them? She was an American citizen and your elected government is responsible for your welfare. I can't believe you even said that.

There are third world countries full of people that can survive without immediate help from big brother. America has been pussified. Our citizens have been conditioned to think that, because they "pay taxes", they don't have to take care of themselves. It all comes down to personal responsibility and New Orleans is full of imbeciles. We had to rescue thousands after Rita went through. Why? Because they didn't learn the first time. For some of them, this is a second rescue.

vergiss said:
I have read the whole article, whereas it doesn't seem that you have. It never says whether or not he knew when his mother actually died, at the time, let alone whether Brussard did.

From the article

"Broussard must have been confused “because I was calling, not my mother calling me, I was calling her,” Rodrigue said. Further, Rodrigue says he never made any calls after Monday, the day he figures his mother died, based on conversations he’s had with another person who had a family member perish inside St. Rita’s. Officials believe that the residents of St. Rita’s died on Monday, Aug. 29, not on Friday, Sept. 2, as Broussard had suggested."

So if he figured that was when she died and he says he did not tell Brussard otherwise why was Brussard on the air claiming she sat there for 5 days pleading to be rescued and that the Federals and Bush ignored them?

Even the title of the article says "misunderstanding".

Sorry but Brussard has not explained how it was a misunderstanding and it's the Democrats who have sat the standard that ANY misinformation is a lie, any untruth is a lie. I'm only using THEIR standard.

That's very different to a flat-out lie. Who's to say that he even heard it direct from Rodrigue?

Rodrique.

Another collegue might have told him the story, and he unknowingly passed on heresay.

Then he should appologize to Bush and the public for spouting things and blaming someone for the death of those people when he didn't have his facts straight and then he can explain why HIS government didn't make sure those people were evacuated.

Her death has nothing to do with the Feds or Bush?

No it doesn't.

How many deaths does it take before it has something to do with them?

Is that the basis for assigning blame, once it reaches some arbitrary number then we can blame Bush and the Feds. Well that is shear folly.

She was an American citizen and your elected government is responsible for your welfare. I can't believe you even said that.

No MY elected government, I am no longer a resident of Lousisana, I don't vote there. HER elected government, headed by Brussard, has the responsibility for what happened there.

And BTW the Federal Government is NOT responsible for your welfare, if you care to point out where in the constiution is says that let me know. YOU are responsible for YOUR welfare.

vergiss said:
Actually, martial law was declared before the hurricane even hit. Weren't you watching the news?

No it wasn't. Bush declare it a National Disaster area. The Govenor calls for marital law NOT the feds and she didn't even go that far. Bush offered to take federal control and Blanco refused still not even issue an order of martial law.

vergiss said:
I think the problem is, however, once it had actually hit, there was little the local and state governments could do, and the Feds were too slow.

Well what would have been "fast"?

Stinger said:
Well what would have been "fast"?

Texas Fast but that was mostly the work of state and local officials...hmmm

GySgt said:
There are third world countries full of people that can survive without immediate help from big brother. America has been pussified. Our citizens have been conditioned to think that, because they "pay taxes", they don't have to take care of themselves. It all comes down to personal responsibility and New Orleans is full of imbeciles. We had to rescue thousands after Rita went through. Why? Because they didn't learn the first time. For some of them, this is a second rescue.

Fine, then. It's a problem with American society as a whole.

vergiss said:

You could say that. I would agree. Or we could say that coastal towns in many states have weathered through hurricanes for years. In the past month and a half, we have witnessed three seperates states react differently. Only one failed and had to rely on immediate rescue.

FIRE the PERSON ON TOP of the TOTEM POLE???
That would be :cowboy: BUSH!:clap: :cheers: :2party:

My name is Taxpayer and I endorse Brussards comments!!!

taxpayer said:
FIRE the PERSON ON TOP of the TOTEM POLE???
That would be :cowboy: BUSH!:clap: :cheers: :2party:

My name is Taxpayer and I endorse Brussards comments!!!

Even though they were inacurate? This would be more of that temper tantrum "I hate Bush" garbage that you embarrased yourself with on that other thread.

GySgt said:
Even though they were inacurate? This would be more of that temper tantrum "I hate Bush" garbage that you embarrased yourself with on that other thread.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
ME? HATE BUSH???: You must have me mixed up with someone else!

You just don't understand what Bush has done to our country in just 5 years!

Your blind love for this man is in the way of your thinking straight.

Now just look how GREAT things were when Clinton was President and look back to 2001 and see how we took a big downhill slide for the last 5 years since Bush took over.

BUSH is the one that had a emotional breakdown!

akyron said:
Texas Fast but that was mostly the work of state and local officials...hmmm

Yep and they made specific request to the Federal government for troops to be available. AND the people got out, estimates of 98% evacuation from Houston. Houston has a very poor segment just as New Orleans, but somehow they got out.

So the question remains to those who say the Federal Governments response was too slow, what would have been fast?

Taxpayer>> My name is Taxpayer and I endorse Brussards comments!!!

That's very telling Taxpayer, you endorse statements which have been proven bogus and misinformed. Very telling.

GySgt said:
You could say that. I would agree. Or we could say that coastal towns in many states have weathered through hurricanes for years. In the past month and a half, we have witnessed three seperates states react differently. Only one failed and had to rely on immediate rescue.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
One failed? You mean Bush failed!

The Guards have been in Texas BEFORE Rita hit!:yes: Thats why they didn't fail.

It took Bush a week to get the Guards into Louisiana!:yes:

Bush made sure Florida had plenty of Guards there too!!!:yes:

In other words:
BUSH SCREWED LOUISIANA!!!:yes:

BTW: New Orleans is 6-8' BELOW sea level. The levee needed to be repaired there but was put on the back burner by Bush and the Republican controlled congress!.

vergiss said:

Actually with only a part of society not as a whole.

Back
Top Bottom