• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Boehner a rubber stamp for Pelosi?

hazlnut

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Boehner a rubber stamp for Pelosi?

It’s an attack ad that writes itself: The House Republican leader, Rep. John Boehner (Ohio), votes with liberal Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) a majority of the time.

The statistic seems impossible to believe, given the ferocity with which Boehner denounces Pelosi, the progressive champion of San Francisco elitism and favorite GOP villain.

But it’s true, according to an analysis by Democrats. Boehner has voted with the Democratic leadership 52 percent of the time in 2010. So has Rep. Mike Pence (Ind.), chairman of the Republican conference and former head of the conservative Republican Study Committee.

Interesting stats, given all the talk about RINOs

"The explanation for the elevated voting percentages is simple: While hotly-disputed legislation on healthcare, climate change and government spending command the public’s attention, the vast majority of congressional votes occur on more mundane and non-controversial items, like the naming of post offices or designating weeks or months to cancer awareness and other causes.

In the database of votes that campaigns rely on for attack ads, however, a vote to designate June 30th as National ESIGN Day or to congratulate the South Carolina Gamecocks for winning the College World Series counts the same as votes to overhaul the nation’s healthcare and energy industries."

These statistics are worthless. It merely seems like a ploy by the Democrats to discredit Republicans. Unless I see examples of large scale bills Boehner and Pelosi agree upon, I can't take this seriously.

I don't care that they voted together to say that the 4th of July is a good holiday, I care how they voted on truly important legislation. Show me where they both voted for the stimulus or healthcare reform or DADT repeal.

Really, given the high percentage of nearly meaningless bills that have to get shoved through Congress every year, only voting together 52% of the time is rather low.

"The explanation for the elevated voting percentages is simple: While hotly-disputed legislation on healthcare, climate change and government spending command the public’s attention, the vast majority of congressional votes occur on more mundane and non-controversial items, like the naming of post offices or designating weeks or months to cancer awareness and other causes.

In the database of votes that campaigns rely on for attack ads, however, a vote to designate June 30th as National ESIGN Day or to congratulate the South Carolina Gamecocks for winning the College World Series counts the same as votes to overhaul the nation’s healthcare and energy industries."

These statistics are worthless. It merely seems like a ploy by the Democrats to discredit Republicans. Unless I see examples of large scale bills Boehner and Pelosi agree upon, I can't take this seriously.

So, it seems like you're saying they only voted against Dems when the TV cameras were on.

Sounds pretty damn relevant to me.

So, it seems like you're saying they only voted against Dems when the TV cameras were on.

I am saying that the statistics given have little significance if Pelosi and Boehner only agree on bills such as the name of a post office or congratulating a sports team. If they agree on major acts of legislation such as the Stimulus Bill, it is worth noting. Otherwise, I consider it intentionally misleading and nothing more than partisan politics.

Yeah this is pretty much exactly what I expected. There's about ten "declaring tuesday to be a day of remembrance for kittens lost in snowmobile accidents" bills for every one that actually does something.

edit: What do you have against kittens? :mad:

Last edited:

That is a rather inaccurate and silly interpretation

Not at all.

Not exactly a counter-argument there.

If you could show that this 52% agreement was on substantial issues like the healthcare or extension of unemployment benefits then you might have a point. But neither you nor your article has shown that.

Back
Top Bottom