• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Body Building

kal-el

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I know this opinion of mine is definetly out of the mainstream, but I pride myself on taking a differrent point of view.

Just as our current day puts "having muscles" above "being intelligent", then we shouldn't be suprised that violence rules this world and since it is usually expressed with physical actions, thus requireing muscles, it is the youth, mostly, but not limited too, young "males" full of energy, and need for recognition that are most susceptible.

I think muscles are stupid! Whether you like it or not, the fact is that a cow will always have far more muscles than any world champion bodybuilder. Instead of wasting time trying to develope a mass of futile muscle fibers, one could spend time cultivating their mind. Every misery in the world is the consequence of the use of force, whether it comes from muscles, or firearms, I said earlier I consider firearms an extension of the arm because its unable to assert ideas through intellect and communication. Brute force is the most impure residue of the world.

Even animals that are symbls of strength for us, like the bull or gorilla, don't do any weightlifting. Imagine a gorilla doing pushups! These animals are born with a musculature adapted to their environment, that is to say, one below ground level, where brute force dominates! For man, brute force has no use at all in a world where "rights" should rule. True power lies Not in one's muscles, but in his mind.

kal-el said:
I know this opinion of mine is definetly out of the mainstream, but I pride myself on taking a differrent point of view.

Just as our current day puts "having muscles" above "being intelligent", then we shouldn't be suprised that violence rules this world and since it is usually expressed with physical actions, thus requireing muscles, it is the youth, mostly, but not limited too, young "males" full of energy, and need for recognition that are most susceptible.

I think muscles are stupid! Whether you like it or not, the fact is that a cow will always have far more muscles than any world champion bodybuilder. Instead of wasting time trying to develope a mass of futile muscle fibers, one could spend time cultivating their mind. Every misery in the world is the consequence of the use of force, whether it comes from muscles, or firearms, I said earlier I consider firearms an extension of the arm because its unable to assert ideas through intellect and communication. Brute force is the most impure residue of the world.

Even animals that are symbls of strength for us, like the bull or gorilla, don't do any weightlifting. Imagine a gorilla doing pushups! These animals are born with a musculature adapted to their environment, that is to say, one below ground level, where brute force dominates! For man, brute force has no use at all in a world where "rights" should rule. True power lies Not in one's muscles, but in his mind.

waaaaayyy off track. you must not know any body builders. why is it that you think that they give up their minds for their sport? its a hobby, just like anything else. im sure there's something you like to do. im into body building and im a college graduate. one of my good friends in the fire dept. was an former competative body builder and has a masters degree. and i dont know what kind of point youre trying to make comparing humans to animals. humans werent meant to fly either but im sure you've done it.

ive been working out since i very young because i was always into sports. in high school i got really into lifting weights so when i went to college, i got serious about body building because i wasnt playing anything. its a true individual sport. its not about the looks, or because 'violence' rules the world. its about hitting the gym and being you...nothing else. you get to put work and all the other crap aside for an hour and compete against no one else but yourself. guess what time of the day i feel the best? after i leave the gym, its uphoric.

True power lies Not in one's muscles, but in his mind.

please, if you think thats what body building is about i feel sorry for you. do me a favor and join a gym for a month and talk to the guys there. you will learn real quick that its about having fun and being fit, not preparing for the armageddon haha. hell you might even get hooked yourself.

Last edited:
and not to be an ass, but what kind of shape are you in?

its just that everyone who hates on body builders is always either completely out of shape or is a guy thats like 5'6" 120 and has trouble gaining weight. its obviously out of jealousy. they are usually the kind of people who say what youre saying, that the mind is more important. whats funny is that no body builder will disagree. and you dont see us hating on people who are smarter.

to each his own man.

Your perspective of body builders is ignorant. I've met some of the smartest people in the gym. You see, when you are truly striving for self betterment, you want power of mind and body. Having a healthy mind and body, is having the complete package.

Not to mention, many people are lifting for athletic reasons, not just for "recognition." Believe it or not, some people like challenges. True, I enjoy the challenge of school and of learning, but one needs to start working and making money to support oneself.

Comparing man's muscle to animals is entirely irrelevant, and doesn’t need to be addressed.

But, since you want to go there...
cow.jpg

VS.
f_79.jpg

Yes, power lies in the mind, but without a body the mind wouldn’t function. They work together, so they both need to be exercised.

You sound like one in the top 65%.

From a friend of mine...

"I don't agree at all, I have a couple of degrees and all my friends who are bodybuilders also have college educations. Also I don't think muscle is put ahead of mind either. I would never have gotten the job I have now without the education I have. If I went to the interview with no education and said "i have big biceps" they would have said "ok great, now get the fu*k out."
So why not have both. Also think about it this way, humans aren't made to sit around in desks and read and study all day. Just think about how man lived a few hundred years ago. It is only in the past 200 years or so that man has been so involved in education and intelligence. So, why not have both, muscle and mind?

Let me guess, your just really really small?"

kal-el said:
I know this opinion of mine is definetly out of the mainstream, but I pride myself on taking a differrent point of view. .

A sin in itself but thats OK..

kal-el said:
Just as our current day puts "having muscles" above "being intelligent", then we shouldn't be suprised that violence rules this world and since it is usually expressed with physical actions, thus requireing muscles, it is the youth, mostly, but not limited too, young "males" full of energy, and need for recognition that are most susceptible..

Last time I checked, doctors, Engineers, Lawyers, Professionals, Entrepreneurs Politicians and Business leaders a rewarded far more then your top shelf BBer.

kal-el said:
I think muscles are stupid! Whether you like it or not, the fact is that a cow will always have far more muscles than any world champion bodybuilder.

No, a better estimate would be a horse. We would be the called Thoroughbreds. Only difference is they have better genetics, we have to work with what we were born with.

kal-el said:
Instead of wasting time trying to develope a mass of futile muscle fibers, one could spend time cultivating their mind.

I'm an Engineer, read over 30 books a year, work in a soup kitchen in downtown Louisville, lead a Boy's Club and volunteer for Habitat for Humanity. Compare yourself to me.. you can't. I don't remember ever causing this world misery that in some morbid way you attribute to Bodybuilding.

kal-el said:
Every misery in the world is the consequence of the use of force, whether it comes from muscles, or firearms, I said earlier I consider firearms an extension of the arm because its unable to assert ideas through intellect and communication. Brute force is the most impure residue of the world.

No, ignorance causes misery, oppression, racism, stiff and suffering. Ignorance is not the opposite of intelligence. many of the men that caused the most harm and death in this world were called geniuses.

kal-el said:
Even animals that are symbols of strength for us, like the bull or gorilla, don't do any weightlifting. Imagine a gorilla doing pushups! These animals are born with a musculature adapted to their environment, that is to say, one below ground level, where brute force dominates!

Gorillas also throw feces at each other. Last time I checked, bodybuilder's don't do that. We don't honor animals for there strength, but we do honor them for their strengths. Just as many animals are honored and adored for grace, beauty, speed, cunning, and intelligence.

kal-el said:
For man, brute force has no use at all in a world where "rights" should rule.

You're confusing strength and beauty with brute force. Bodybuilding has nothing to do with terror and the things in this world that cause hate and ignorance. What does cause it is pathetic little generalizations like yours.. You’re just as ignorant as the oppressors and brutes that you hate.

Nice responses guys, I had a feeling I was alone in my point of view, but o well, that's fine.

While it may be fact that some people are born stronger than other people, that's fine, I don't care about that. They are born like that and don't spend countless hours each week pumping up their muscle fibers. The greatest men in the history of all of humanity were physically weak. Blood cannot flow to the biceps and the brain. What flows to one subtracts from the other. As I said Socrates, Mozart, Einstein, and Leonardo da Vinci Never did any bodybuiding and none of them had the biceps of athletes.

working out helps out your body which indirectly helps focus your mind. Your mind is not a separate entity from your body. Thus, bettering your body can only help your mind.

kal-el said:
Blood cannot flow to the biceps and the brain. What flows to one subtracts from the other.
Hunh? That doesn't even make sense. You have any scientific proof of your claim?

I'm not a body builder, but I do work out several times a week. I personally feel better, think more clearly, and sleep much better too. It's also prepared me to do things I want to do in life. Last weekend, I went camping with a hike-in campsite. Lugging a 100lb bag on my back and a guitar wouldn't have been possible if I didn't work out.

Originally posted by shuamort
Hunh? That doesn't even make sense. You have any scientific proof of your claim?

Sure it does, think about it. If a higher percentage of blood is flowing to your bicpes or whatever, you're brain will receive less. Just like if you get an erection, Mandingo, and many others with unusually large sexual organs, sometimes pass-out due to loss of blood flow in the head.

Don't get me wrong, I have No problem with someone wanting to stay physically fit. But on the other hand, I do see a problem with someone obsessed with muscles and have to have the largest. Obsession is almost always a bad thing when taken too far.

kal-el said:
Sure it does, think about it. If a higher percentage of blood is flowing to your bicpes or whatever, you're brain will receive less. Just like if you get an erection, Mandingo, and many others with unusually large sexual organs, sometimes pass-out due to loss of blood flow in the head.

Don't get me wrong, I have No problem with someone wanting to stay physically fit. But on the other hand, I do see a problem with someone obsessed with muscles and have to have the largest. Obsession is almost always a bad thing when taken too far.

Actually, *ahem*, I hate to pop your little sports myth bubble, but there is a little something called VO2 max. Heard of it? I'll assume no.

So a person's VO2 max is the maximum amount of oxygen that can be carried in their blood. It varies depending on a lot of things. Your maximum heart rate (which you can't do much about), your stroke volume (which is the amount of blood that your heart can pump out), and the amount of oxygen in your blood that your body can use.

Now your stroke volume is increased when you exercise, because the heart is a muscle and when it is worked, it gets stronger, like every other muscle.

The amount of oxygen in your blood that your body can use is a little more complicated. There are basically two types of blood in your system at all times: arterial blood (which is on it's way from the heart and is loaded with oxygen) and venous blood, which is on the way to your lungs to pick up more oxygen. With training, your muscle tissue becomes much more adapt at extracting more oxygen from the arterial blood, leaving the venous blood with much less oxygen than unfit people.

Glad I could clear things up. ;)

I'm addicted to Running/Jogging. But Body-Building will do nothing but harm your body. You'll get addicted, you'll reach for the bigger and bigger and bigger weights til your muscles are strained to a certain point.

I'd never take up Body-Building, Running is enough for me! Guys, its like estacy, try Running sometime (More than 1 mile) and you'll get hooked.

Arch Enemy said:
I'm addicted to Running/Jogging. But Body-Building will do nothing but harm your body. You'll get addicted, you'll reach for the bigger and bigger and bigger weights til your muscles are strained to a certain point.

I'd never take up Body-Building, Running is enough for me! Guys, its like estacy, try Running sometime (More than 1 mile) and you'll get hooked.

Until you break your foot. Then you'll get hooked on swimming!!!

Arch Enemy said:

No thanks, picking up the tv remote is enough exersize for me, thanks.

Arch Enemy said:

Running blows. and this is from an ex-competitive and current casual runner.

i hate it so much.

150 pushups and 150 situps every morning and every night. that alone take maybe 30 minutes, and makes you so much more fit. the definition that it brings out is very, very noticeable.

RightatNYU said:
Running blows. and this is from an ex-competitive and current casual runner.

i hate it so much.

150 pushups and 150 situps every morning and every night. that alone take maybe 30 minutes, and makes you so much more fit. the definition that it brings out is very, very noticeable.

But you need running to get into enough shape to do 150 Pushups or 150 Situps.

Casual running is what I like! I don't like competitive..

Arch Enemy said:
But you need running to get into enough shape to do 150 Pushups or 150 Situps.

Casual running is what I like! I don't like competitive..

I loved competitive! Not that I was actually competitive, but races are so much fun!

Body Building? Bah!

Cardio? Why not. I like being able to run around without passing out halfway. I prefer to flex my brain them my arms, but everyone needs to be somewhat in shape.

I prefer to be toned then muscular.

kal-el said:

Bodybuilders have faster blood transport, higher heart beats, increased veins and burn body fat constantly, because their muscles need energy in order to sustain theirselves.

Maybe, in a certain degree, I understand what you mean. One can increase his concentration by running circles or by just slowly wandering. Vigorous, powerful training leads to lower concentration. After I had some workouts, I had the idea that my concentration was temporary lowered. Maybe, at the longer term, it really does decrease some intelligence, but definitely not much.

Arch Ennemy said:
But Body-Building will do nothing but harm your body.

As long as there is no drugs or steroids in use, there is nearly no danger. The only danger can exist when someone increases his weight to much at once, p.e. at a bench press (it might fall on the chest). Bodybuilding at the longer term does definitely not damage. In fact it makes one much healther. Take a look at Schwarzenegger; he looks 10 years younger.

kal-el said:
Sure it does, think about it. If a higher percentage of blood is flowing to your bicpes or whatever, you're brain will receive less.

Except that the body doesn't have a set amount of blood. As your body size increases, or decreases for that matter, your overall blood supply changes to match the needs of your body. Blood isn't shunted from your brain to supply your muscles. Even when you're exerting yourself, it is still an overall increase in blood flow so that all parts of your body get more blood, including your brain.

Arch Enemy said:

Never happen. Even after Basic Training I couldn't run any distance. The 2 mile requirement was torture for me.

And, if you want to talk about harm, don't forget about little things like shin splints, ankle problems and knee problems. Also, have you ever heard of James Fixx? Mid '80's he was the "Running Guru". Dropped dead of a heart attack...wait for it...while running.

I prefer swimming - good all round exercise, and cardio-vascular too!

And at work I'm constantly moving, rather than just sitting at a desk.

MrFungus420 said:
Never happen. Even after Basic Training I couldn't run any distance. The 2 mile requirement was torture for me.

And, if you want to talk about harm, don't forget about little things like shin splints, ankle problems and knee problems. Also, have you ever heard of James Fixx? Mid '80's he was the "Running Guru". Dropped dead of a heart attack...wait for it...while running.

What's the max amount you ran during basic traning?

2 Miles is what I normally do, it's pretty simple for me.

Two miles was what was required in the Army. That was what I'd do. That would have me puking my guts out, every time.

Back
Top Bottom