• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Bob Dylan apologizes for using autopen device to 'hand-sign' new book

Chomsky

Social Democrat
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal

Bob ylan has apologized for an "error in judgment," after it emerged that he used a machine to autograph special copies of his new book that had been advertised as "hand-signed."
Fans who paid $599 for one of 900 copies of the music legend's new book "Philosophy of Modern Song" shared their outrage after comparing notes online and realizing that the books contained identical reproductions of the star's signature.

--

Does anyone buy Bob's story? Especially after dropping 6 bills for the "autographed" first edition?

But regardless, I want this book. It's getting pretty good reviews and seems entertaining.

--

Does anyone buy Bob's story? Especially after dropping 6 bills for the "autographed" first edition?

But regardless, I want this book. It's getting pretty good reviews and seems entertaining.
That's a shitty thing to do. People are paying for his signature, not a robots signature. His story sounds possible, but in reality for someone the size of Bob Dylan, you know good and well you have the option of saying "sorry my health is not allowing me to sign this many books at this time. Give the people refunds or the option of waiting a bit longer for me to get through the signatures."

That's a shitty thing to do. People are paying for his signature, not a robots signature. His story sounds possible, but in reality for someone the size of Bob Dylan, you know good and well you have the option of saying "sorry my health is not allowing me to sign this many books at this time. Give the people refunds or the option of waiting a bit longer for me to get through the signatures."

Yep.

Even if the story is accurate, he did wrong IMO.

However as he stated, he may have had contractual obligations. Who knows what legal contract he embroiled himself with?

Yep.

Even if the story is accurate, he did wrong IMO.

However as he stated, he may have had contractual obligations. Who knows what legal contract he embroiled himself with?
Yea, contractual obligations blah blah blah. What's the worst that happens? Loses a bit of cash from the deal? It's not like they can throw you in jail for being sick.

If this were some new up and coming band and they were new to the business or had no leverage and got stuck in a bad deal I'd be more willing to cut some slack. This sounds more like something that saved some time and no one really thought anything about it til they got busted.

--

They all better get free signed copies and free records of his, or whatever.

Yea, contractual obligations blah blah blah. What's the worst that happens? Loses a bit of cash from the deal? It's not like they can throw you in jail for being sick.

Fair enough.

If this were some new up and coming band and they were new to the business or had no leverage and got stuck in a bad deal I'd be more willing to cut some slack. This sounds more like something that saved some time and no one really thought anything about it til they got busted.

Agreed.

Thing is, he just panicked the market for his other previously signed editions!

--

What's the problem? You mean a machine signing the book does not qualify as hand signed by Bob Dillon? Anyone could make that mistake.

An autopen is used by the White House to sign legislation. If it’s good enough for the President then it’s good enough for Bob.

Don't listen to the haters, Bobby. Keep that pimp hand strong.

--

He knew what he was doing and if he hadn't been caught, he'd never have apologized.

He writes over sixty essays focusing on songs by other artists, spanning from Stephen Foster to Elvis Costello, and in between ranging from Hank Williams to Nina Simone. He analyzes what he calls the trap of easy rhymes, breaks down how the addition of a single syllable can diminish a song, and even explains how bluegrass relates to heavy metal. These essays are written in Dylan’s unique prose. They are mysterious and mercurial, poignant and profound, and often laugh-out-loud funny. And while they are ostensibly about music, they are really meditations and reflections on the human condition. Running throughout the book are nearly 150 carefully curated photos as well as a series of dream-like riffs that, taken together, resemble an epic poem and add to the work’s transcendence.

He isn’t sorry he used a robosign device. He is sorry he got caught using the thing

--

Why does anyone care about getting a signed book? Its kinda cool, I guess, but it doesnt seem to be worth anything more than what you can sell it to the next sucker for.

What's the problem? You mean a machine signing the book does not qualify as hand signed by Bob Dillon? Anyone could make that mistake.

An autopen is used by the White House to sign legislation. If it’s good enough for the President then it’s good enough for Bob.

Why does anyone care about getting a signed book? Its kinda cool, I guess, but it doesnt seem to be worth anything more than what you can sell it to the next sucker for.

Firstly, the fans paid 600 bucks for a signed copy - end of discussion.

In the literary world, everyone knows what "signed copy" means. It does not mean an electronic reproduced signature. Some books do have that, for example in a dedication or prologue that's part of the normal print run. But it is merely considered print, and of no value. That's totally different than a "signed" edition.

--

The fans bought the autographed copy because:

1] They wanted an object of the artist's physical person

or,

2] The wanted an item of collector's value

or,

3] Both

--

Autographs & documents of famous individuals have collectable value, and can become quite valuable over time. This goes especially for autographed specimens of the artist's work. And in the book world, generally speaking signed first editions (which this was to be) are the most valuable & desirable.

Dylan didn't deliver what he promised, especially for the sum of 600 bucks. He ripped-off his purchasers.

Firstly, the fans paid 600 bucks for a signed copy - end of discussion.

In the literary world, everyone knows what "signed copy" means. It does not mean an electronic reproduced signature. Some books do have that, for example in a dedication or prologue that's part of the normal print run. But it is merely considered print, and of no value. That's totally different than a "signed" edition.

--

The fans bought the autographed copy because:

1] They wanted an object of the artist's physical person

or,

2] The wanted an item of collector's value

or,

3] Both

--

Autographs & documents of famous individuals have collectable value, and can become quite valuable over time. This goes especially for autographed specimens of the artist's work. And in the book world, generally speaking signed first editions (which this was to be) are the most valuable & desirable.

Dylan didn't deliver what he promised, especially for the sum of 600 bucks. He ripped-off his purchasers.
Where Dylan screwed up is in describing the product as “hand signed.” Ordinarily it wouldn’t matter and no one would be the wiser.

Back
Top Bottom