• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

#BlueLivesMatter: How Do Men in Blue Feel About Gun Control?

In other words, "politicians in uniform" rather than real police.

Bingo!

many cops have to retire at a younger age than most other citizens. For federal law enforcement agents with arrest powers its 57 unless they get a waiver (usually requested by the US attorney or a similar official if the agent is involved in an ongoing investigation). Many state agencies have similar rules. So lots of cops don't want to be say a retired cop and unable to own say an AR 15 or a 15 round handgun. Many of them realize that being retired LE makes them a target for mopes they put away while on duty

Yes indeed.

I would think the vast majority of those in law enforcement would be against any type of gun control because an arm citizen is less likely to become a victim and crime go's down . And they know 95% of those armed would be willing to assist an officer in trouble .

And they do! A lot more than the MSM will ever admit. I've done it on occasion and then faded into the crowd and the egg head reporters, never knew I was there.

I think its stupid to walk around with guns for display purposes in MOST circumstances. That being said, I don't rate cops opinions all that important when it comes to civil or constitutional rights. One thing is undeniable-if you value gun rights, the GOP is the best party.

I agree, and I'm not a fan of open carry in large population areas....unless of course CC is not an option. The element of surprise against a bad guy, is paramount.

well in 1996, Janet Reno commissioned an extensive poll of street cops as to the brady bill and the Clinton Assault weapon ban. I read the completed report. 91% or so of the cops thought the AWB was a waste of time or a bad idea. 89% said the same thing about the brady bill.

Most support for these schemes among cops are among the leadership of police departments in Democrat run cities.

Police leadership seems more concerned with politics and that is universal throughout the world. Canada showed the same bias between cops and the association of police chiefs.

I think its stupid to walk around with guns for display purposes in MOST circumstances. That being said, I don't rate cops opinions all that important when it comes to civil or constitutional rights. One thing is undeniable-if you value gun rights, the GOP is the best party.

The best party is the one that tells citizens these are your rights you protect them and helps them understand they are the final front. Not a bunch of vote grabbing power hungry politicians from any party.

The last thing I ever want to do is put my rights in the hands of a politician.

Police leadership seems more concerned with politics and that is universal throughout the world. Canada showed the same bias between cops and the association of police chiefs.

They sure are!

The best party is the one that tells citizens these are your rights you protect them and helps them understand they are the final front. Not a bunch of vote grabbing power hungry politicians from any party.

The last thing I ever want to do is put my rights in the hands of a politician.

Boy howdy! Politicians can **** up a wet dream.

Just like any proctologist knows, everyone has a unique asshole.

As a 30 year cop, and a life time citizen of the USA, I've been ProGun all my life. As an officer I recommended people buy and be trained with guns, on numerous occasions....because police protection is an oxymoron. ;)

In addition, as an officer, I've lobbied many school districts to re-institute marksmanship training and gun safety classes for the kids, starting at 5th grade level. Old enough to be responsible, yet young enough for the most part, to not be a wise ass yet.

Out of curiosity, if you had to put a percentage to it, how many violent homicides have you responded to that were alcohol was involved? How many domestic abuses? How many rapes?

The reason I ask is that it is funny how many folks consume alcohol without any considerations to its byproducts, yet ask us to give up our firearms rights and freedoms based on fewer tragedies.

Out of curiosity, if you had to put a percentage to it, how many violent homicides have you responded to that were alcohol was involved? How many domestic abuses? How many rapes?

The reason I ask is that it is funny how many folks consume alcohol without any considerations to its byproducts, yet ask us to give up our firearms rights and freedoms based on fewer tragedies.

Roughly 75%....that includes drug induced psychosis.

agree but when it comes to taxes, the constitution, etc, its not close. Democrats are the creeping crud of collectivism and killing the constitution

I don't know about the constitution.. or taxes either on that front.

Patriot Act is a giant affront to the constitution.

And some of their tax proposals like the "Fair" tax are ludicrous.

I don't know about the constitution.. or taxes either on that front.

Patriot Act is a giant affront to the constitution.

And some of their tax proposals like the "Fair" tax are ludicrous.

anything that prevents the government from buying the votes of the many by promising them the wealth of a few is ok with me

anything that prevents the government from buying the votes of the many by promising them the wealth of a few is ok with me

I don;t know I like promising the wealth of the many... to curry favor with the powerful few.

poor people aren;t lobbying for Welfare. Rich people are.

I have been a police officer for some time now and during that time, I've seen several changes. Some good, some bad. I can honestly say, I am more afraid litigation than guns. It seems now a days, more cops fall victim to false claims of excessive force and have their careers ruined (generally to further someone's political aspirations) than by guns. The media loves "bad cop" stories and they seldom wait for all the facts before running with a story. Same goes for our political leaders.

I don;t know I like promising the wealth of the many... to curry favor with the powerful few.

poor people aren;t lobbying for Welfare. Rich people are.

Welfare ensures there is no escape. It literally is slave making of dependence on government largess. Government supporters do not bite the hand that feeds them.

What were their reasons for not supporting the Assault Weapons Ban?

It had zero impact on crime that was why they supported lifting it. Most LEO's here support the gun laws as they are today.

I worked as a cop for thirty years in a state with open carry laws. Wasn't a problem for me. I assumed people had guns in their homes and in their cars. Carrying a concealed weapon without a permit was illegal.

For me, it wasn't a problem. In our town where police response was less than five minutes and violent crime more often originated in the home and family/friends I said a gun wasn't necessary but if you want one get a shotgun loaded with shot that wouldn't leave your house, for sure, and preferabl would leave the room. Out in the country where police response might be hours or days it was a different issue.

I remember talking with a class at our university, over 150 students, and, of course, I got the silly, "British cops don't carry guns so why don't American cops give up the guns." I said, "Can I see a show of hands of how many people here have a gun or guns in their home." Most of the students in the room raised there hands.

I don't have a gun now, I'm retired and living in Mexico, and I support the Second Amendment. I have a real problem with weapons disguised as innocuous items such as ball point pens and belt buckles.

so in your learned opinion, its more likely the right that is anti cop than the left? Its right wing white gun owners who are shooting down cops in the USA? it was a RW white gun rights guy who shot those five cops down recently? It was a RW white guy who murdered two cops in their car in NY? etc

or was it black left-wingers who did the killing?

It had zero impact on crime that was why they supported lifting it. Most LEO's here support the gun laws as they are today.

most cops often retire at fairly young ages and want to be able to own guns themselves. They understand a gun ban will keep them from having stuff they want as well

most cops often retire at fairly young ages and want to be able to own guns themselves. They understand a gun ban will keep them from having stuff they want as well

When one uses a tool on a daily basis they tend to want those same tools available to them once they leave the profession, not to mention how many have grown up in a society where guns were not looked at as evil but as versatile tools that can fill the freezer and protect the hearth and even be fun to use for recreational use.

We're hearing a lot these days about how #BlueLivesMatter - but beyond superficially appreciating our police, how much are we hearing their views on guns in society? What do the police feel about the issue of gun control and the high availability of guns in society? Does it make their job more dangerous or easier?

Every day, police have to not only just deal with professional criminals, but also deal with ordinary members of the public, whether law-abiders or law-breakers. How does the availability/non-availability of guns affect how they deal with various types of people, threat perceptions, hazards, etc?

What are the opinions of law enforcement personnel themselves?

I'm confident that no one, most especially the coppers, want guns in the hands of people who shouldn't have them.

Fortunately, coppers are smart enough to realize that keeping guns out of the hands of law-abiding citizens is a stupid idea...unlike our leftist friends and other misinformed.

When one uses a tool on a daily basis they tend to want those same tools available to them once they leave the profession, not to mention how many have grown up in a society where guns were not looked at as evil but as versatile tools that can fill the freezer and protect the hearth and even be fun to use for recreational use.

just about everyone who has dealt with criminals on a frequent basis tends to be armed, even after they retire. Judges, probation officers, Federal and state prosecutors, criminal defense attorneys, public defenders, staff at prosecutors offices, Bailiffs and law clerks for judges, jailers, bondsmen etc

just about everyone who has dealt with criminals on a frequent basis tends to be armed, even after they retire. Judges, probation officers, Federal and state prosecutors, criminal defense attorneys, public defenders, staff at prosecutors offices, Bailiffs and law clerks for judges, jailers, bondsmen etc

It is because they know the Truth.

Back
Top Bottom