• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

#BlueLivesMatter: How Do Men in Blue Feel About Gun Control?

sanman

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
We're hearing a lot these days about how #BlueLivesMatter - but beyond superficially appreciating our police, how much are we hearing their views on guns in society? What do the police feel about the issue of gun control and the high availability of guns in society? Does it make their job more dangerous or easier?

Every day, police have to not only just deal with professional criminals, but also deal with ordinary members of the public, whether law-abiders or law-breakers. How does the availability/non-availability of guns affect how they deal with various types of people, threat perceptions, hazards, etc?

What are the opinions of law enforcement personnel themselves?

As with any other group of people, their opinions are numerous and varied. They are not a monolithic group.

Fully understood, but their common occupational hazards and experiences may have shaped their opinions in similar ways. It would be interesting to know which police think what about guns. For instance, police operating in inner cities may have different opinions compared to police operating in rural areas. What are those in high crime areas thinking? What about police operating in areas where there is comparatively greater friction between police and civilians?

Fully understood, but their common occupational hazards and experiences may have shaped their opinions in similar ways. It would be interesting to know which police think what about guns. For instance, police operating in inner cities may have different opinions compared to police operating in rural areas. What are those in high crime areas thinking? What about police operating in areas where there is comparatively greater friction between police and civilians?

well in 1996, Janet Reno commissioned an extensive poll of street cops as to the brady bill and the Clinton Assault weapon ban. I read the completed report. 91% or so of the cops thought the AWB was a waste of time or a bad idea. 89% said the same thing about the brady bill.

Most support for these schemes among cops are among the leadership of police departments in Democrat run cities.

What were their reasons for not supporting the Assault Weapons Ban?

Most support for these schemes among cops are among the leadership of police departments in Democrat run cities.

In other words, "politicians in uniform" rather than real police.

We're hearing a lot these days about how #BlueLivesMatter - but beyond superficially appreciating our police, how much are we hearing their views on guns in society? What do the police feel about the issue of gun control and the high availability of guns in society? Does it make their job more dangerous or easier?

Every day, police have to not only just deal with professional criminals, but also deal with ordinary members of the public, whether law-abiders or law-breakers. How does the availability/non-availability of guns affect how they deal with various types of people, threat perceptions, hazards, etc?

Here's a survey. PoliceOne's Gun Control Survey: 11 key lessons from officers' perspectives

Over 15,000 respondents. Maybe someone can find a survey with more participation.

In other words, "politicians in uniform" rather than real police.

exactly-people that are more likely to kiss a mayor's ass than kick a criminal's butt

National Assoc of Chief's of Police's recent survey of members (law enforcement or security and holding command or executive rank) just published a survey including gun control opinions.

IREARMS
Should any vetted citizen be able to purchase a firearm for sport or self-defense?
87.9%-yes
8.9%-no
3.2%-n/a
Does your department support nationwide recognition of state issued concealed weapon permits?
86.4%-yes
10.6%-no
2.9%-n/a
Can qualified, law-abiding armed citizens help law enforcement reduce violent criminal activity?
76%-yes
18.6%-no
5.4%-n/a

http://www.nacoponline.org/25th.pdf

What were their reasons for not supporting the Assault Weapons Ban?

Use some logic. At the street level, they understand that if you ban or restrict firearms it always hits legal gun owners harder than it hits criminals. Because criminals will continue to use the firearms and the gun owners will have to carry illegally to defend themselves or be defenseless.

Its a lose-lose for the people they are there to serve and protect.

Use some logic. At the street level, they understand that if you ban or restrict firearms it always hits legal gun owners harder than it hits criminals. Because criminals will continue to use the firearms and the gun owners will have to carry illegally to defend themselves or be defenseless.

Its a lose-lose for the people they are there to serve and protect.

many cops have to retire at a younger age than most other citizens. For federal law enforcement agents with arrest powers its 57 unless they get a waiver (usually requested by the US attorney or a similar official if the agent is involved in an ongoing investigation). Many state agencies have similar rules. So lots of cops don't want to be say a retired cop and unable to own say an AR 15 or a 15 round handgun. Many of them realize that being retired LE makes them a target for mopes they put away while on duty

In this latest article about the shooting of 3 Baton Rouge police officers, I couldn't help but notice this candid remark by police:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/18/us/baton-rouge-shooting.html?_r=0

After the shooting in Dallas, Stephen Loomis, the president of the Cleveland Police Patrolmen’s Association, urged people not to take their guns anywhere near Cleveland’s downtown during the convention because officers were already in a “heightened state.”

To me, this seems like a more candid admission that presence of lots of firearms increases the likelihood of violence, not reduces it. You don't hear the Cleveland police urging people to bring more guns because it will increase the safety of the event by having lots of armed bystanders able to counteract any rogue shooter. Instead, you hear their candid belief that more guns means more likelihood of shootings.

In this latest article about the shooting of 3 Baton Rouge police officers, I couldn't help but notice this candid remark by police:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/18/us/baton-rouge-shooting.html?_r=0

To me, this seems like a more candid admission that presence of lots of firearms increases the likelihood of violence, not reduces it. You don't hear the Cleveland police urging people to bring more guns because it will increase the safety of the event by having lots of armed bystanders able to counteract any rogue shooter. Instead, you hear their candid belief that more guns means more likelihood of shootings.

Did it occur to you that the cops were stupid enough to think such a request would make them safer. There was no consideration for public safety.

I would think the vast majority of those in law enforcement would be against any type of gun control because an arm citizen is less likely to become a victim and crime go's down . And they know 95% of those armed would be willing to assist an officer in trouble .

I would think the vast majority of those in law enforcement would be against any type of gun control because an arm citizen is less likely to become a victim and crime go's down . And they know 95% of those armed would be willing to assist an officer in trouble .

That contradicts what the Cleveland police are expressing in regards to the RNC. They seem to think that more firearms in a situation complicates the job of the police and elevates overall risk.

Did it occur to you that the cops were stupid enough to think such a request would make them safer. There was no consideration for public safety.

So at least your reply acknowledges that an abundance of guns among the public makes officers feel more apprehensive about risk to themselves. Reciprocally, officers who feel more at risk are more likely to err on the side of over-use of force to save their own lives. Abundance of guns then increases the risk to everybody.

That contradicts what the Cleveland police are expressing in regards to the RNC. They seem to think that more firearms in a situation complicates the job of the police and elevates overall risk.

Well Cleveland had the new black panther party and the BLM group calling for killing police and due to the massive gathering there they maybe inclined to express let's have few guns as possible there . But aside from massive gathering I feel the police want citizens armed as long as they are legally armed and NOT felons . And how many shooting have we seen yesterday ?

is that the line cops or the police bureaucrats who answer to Democrat politicians talking?

is that the line cops or the police bureaucrats who answer to Democrat politicians talking?

It would seem to me that the ones who would issue the call to not bring more guns to the RNC event would be the line cops. No political appointee would have an interest in saying that for RNC purposes. Anyway, it's the Police Union that's issuing the call.

It would seem to me that the ones who would issue the call to not bring more guns to the RNC event would be the line cops. No political appointee would have an interest in saying that for RNC purposes. Anyway, it's the Police Union that's issuing the call.

I think its stupid to walk around with guns for display purposes in MOST circumstances. That being said, I don't rate cops opinions all that important when it comes to civil or constitutional rights. One thing is undeniable-if you value gun rights, the GOP is the best party.

I think its stupid to walk around with guns for display purposes in MOST circumstances. That being said, I don't rate cops opinions all that important when it comes to civil or constitutional rights. One thing is undeniable-if you value gun rights, the GOP is the best party.

Too bad the GOP has a tendency to suck on many other issues.

But overall, yeah, I'd rather the GOP than the Donkeys, although that isn't saying much.

Too bad the GOP has a tendency to suck on many other issues.

But overall, yeah, I'd rather the GOP than the Donkeys, although that isn't saying much.

agree but when it comes to taxes, the constitution, etc, its not close. Democrats are the creeping crud of collectivism and killing the constitution

Just like any proctologist knows, everyone has a unique asshole.

As a 30 year cop, and a life time citizen of the USA, I've been ProGun all my life. As an officer I recommended people buy and be trained with guns, on numerous occasions....because police protection is an oxymoron. ;)

In addition, as an officer, I've lobbied many school districts to re-institute marksmanship training and gun safety classes for the kids, starting at 5th grade level. Old enough to be responsible, yet young enough for the most part, to not be a wise ass yet.

Last edited:
well in 1996, Janet Reno commissioned an extensive poll of street cops as to the brady bill and the Clinton Assault weapon ban. I read the completed report. 91% or so of the cops thought the AWB was a waste of time or a bad idea. 89% said the same thing about the brady bill.

And by leadership, TD means......... suck ass politicians.

Back
Top Bottom