• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Blue States Are Better Places to Raise a Family Than Red States, But There's a Twist

Glen Contrarian

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, he
Political Leaning
Progressive
- Fourteen of the fifteen states with the lowest average income are RED states.
- Thirteen of the fifteen states with the lowest average education are RED states.
- If we count Washington D.C. as a full-fledged state, nine out of the fifteen states with the worst murder rates are RED states. Indeed, the murder rate in the South as a whole is the highest in the nation, more than 150% the murder rate in the Northeast.
- The ten states with the worst divorce rates are all RED states.
- Twelve of the fifteen states with the highest teen pregancy rates are RED states (but this reference shows it's actually 14 of 15 are RED states)
- Thirteen of the fifteen states with the lowest rates of health insurance coverage are RED states.
- If we again count Washington D.C. as a state, thirteen of the fifteen states with the lowest life expectancies are RED states.
- Ten of the fifteen states with the highest birth mortality rates are RED states.

There is no question - generally speaking, blue states have a higher standard of living and are better places to raise a family than red states - and for those who may be eager to point to the problems in the biggest cities, those cities are not the states as a whole and the point does not detract from the above advantages that blue states generally have as a whole over red states.

But there's a twist - none of these are due to liberal governance or conservative governance. Let's leave it up to the readers to see if they can figure out why that is!

Re: Blue States Are Better Places to Raise a Family Than Red States, But There's a Tw

I am sure you will claim that it is because of the lack of unions/presence of right to work laws, but that is not the reason either.

Re: Blue States Are Better Places to Raise a Family Than Red States, But There's a Tw

- If we count Washington D.C. as a full-fledged state, nine out of the fifteen states with the worst murder rates are RED states.

Confused...based on your link (above) these are the top 15 for murders:

New Jersey
Virginia
Missouri
Maryland
Louisiana
North Carolina
Illinois
Ohio
Georgia
Michigan
Pennsylvania
New York
Florida
Texas
California

It appears there are only 5 that are 'red' states in this list...what am I missing?

- Thirteen of the fifteen states with the lowest average education are RED states.
- If we count Washington D.C. as a full-fledged state, nine out of the fifteen states with the worst murder rates are RED states. Indeed, the murder rate in the South as a whole is the highest in the nation, more than 150% the murder rate in the Northeast.
- Twelve of the fifteen states with the highest teen pregancy rates are RED states (but this reference shows it's actually 14 of 15 are RED states)
- Thirteen of the fifteen states with the lowest rates of health insurance coverage are RED states.
- If we again count Washington D.C. as a state, thirteen of the fifteen states with the lowest life expectancies are RED states.
- Ten of the fifteen states with the highest birth mortality rates are RED states.

There is no question - generally speaking, blue states have a higher standard of living and are better places to raise a family than red states - and for those who may be eager to point to the problems in the biggest cities, those cities are not the states as a whole and the point does not detract from the above advantages that blue states generally have as a whole over red states.

But there's a twist - none of these are due to liberal governance or conservative governance. Let's leave it up to the readers to see if they can figure out why that is!

Holy Dog **** Captain!!!!

Have you looked at a map of what is considered "red" or "blue" states?

It might mean something if the VAST majority of states were not...... red.

In places where there are more families, incomes are generally lower and standard of living is generally lower...childless yuppie hipsters can spend more time at work and have more disposable cash for toys...that's no secret.

I am sure you will claim that it is because of the lack of unions/presence of right to work laws, but that is not the reason either.

You're wrong - not even close. Has nothing to do with any right-wing or left-wing cause.

New Jersey
Virginia
Missouri
Maryland
Louisiana
North Carolina
Illinois
Ohio
Georgia
Michigan
Pennsylvania
New York
Florida
Texas
California

It appears there are only 5 that are 'red' states in this list...what am I missing?

I said murder RATE - not total murders. The murder RATE - which in the reference is murders per 100,000 residents - is far more indicative of the level of violence in a society. Try again, guy.

Holy Dog **** Captain!!!!

Have you looked at a map of what is considered "red" or "blue" states?

It might mean something if the VAST majority of states were not...... red.

Show me somewhere in my references where the red states weren't red. And if you're looking at what the poster just previous to you said, he got it all wrong - he looked at total murders and not the much-more-important murder rate.

Funny thing is though that in my state,the wealthiest,healthiest,happiest county,Waukesha(my county)is DEEP red,over 65% in 2012.
I'd also note that states like Maryland have a very heavy footprint of federal largesse(as does liberal northern Virginia)to enrich it.

In places where there are more families, incomes are generally lower and standard of living is generally lower...childless yuppie hipsters can spend more time at work and have more disposable cash for toys...that's no secret.

You're on the right track...except you're completely upside-down.

New Jersey
Virginia
Missouri
Maryland
Louisiana
North Carolina
Illinois
Ohio
Georgia
Michigan
Pennsylvania
New York
Florida
Texas
California

What year are you using and are you using the murder rate (based on the state's total population) or the absolute number of murders?

Murder Rates Nationally and By State | Death Penalty Information Center

State-by-state murder rate map for 2011, and what it means: (Canada, independent, Minnesota) - Democrats, Republicans, Libertarians, Conservatives, Liberals, Third Parties, Left-Wing, Right-Wing, Congress, President - City-Data Forum

Last edited:

They aren't childless they just have children later in life after they build up successful careers.

I wish you Americans would use the correct colour scheme already.

Funny thing is though that in my state,the wealthiest,healthiest,happiest county,Waukesha(my county)is DEEP red,over 65% in 2012.
I'd also note that states like Maryland have a very heavy footprint of federal largesse(as does liberal northern Virginia)to enrich it.

Actually, guy, here's the list of the top ten states when it comes to "federal largesse":

1. New Mexico Indian reservations, military bases, federal research labs, farm subsidies, retirement programs

2. Mississippi Farm subsidies, military spending, nutrition and anti-poverty aid, retirement programs.

3. Alaska Per capita No 1 recipient of federal benefits; infrastructure projects, DOT and pork projects.

4. Louisiana Disaster relief, farm subsidies, anti-poverty and nutrition aid, military spending.

5. W. Virginia Farm subsidies, anti-poverty and nutrition aid.

6. N. Dakota Farm subsidies, energy subsidies, retirement and anti-poverty programs, Indian reservations.

7. Alabama Retirement programs, anti-poverty and nutrition aid, federal space/military spending, farm subsidies.

8. S. Dakota Retirement programs, nutrition aid, farm subsidies, military spending, Indian reservations.

9. Virginia Civil service pensions, military spending, veterans benefits, retirement, anti-poverty aid.

10. Kentucky Retirement programs, nutritional and anti-poverty aid, farm subsidies.

Funny, but I see only ONE blue state on there: New Mexico.

Try again, guy.

I said murder RATE - not total murders. The murder RATE - which in the reference is murders per 100,000 residents - is far more indicative of the level of violence in a society. Try again, guy.

Pardon me, you are correct...carry on

why are these partisan hacks posted for?

They aren't childless they just have children later in life after they build up successful careers.

Actually, that's not it either. What I'm referring to applies everywhere, and not just to America.

why are these partisan hacks posted for?

Read the rest of my OP - I said that these 'partisan hacks' (as you called them) are NOT - repeat, NOT - due to liberal or conservative governance. Has nothing to do with it. I'm just waiting to see if anyone can figure it out - other than being red or blue, where's the patterns, where's the trends?

Read the rest of my OP - I said that these 'partisan hacks' (as you called them) are NOT - repeat, NOT - due to liberal or conservative governance. Has nothing to do with it. I'm just waiting to see if anyone can figure it out - other than being red or blue, where's the patterns, where's the trends?

you have got to know that the idea of blue are better than red, is political slant.

you have got to know that the idea of blue are better than red, is political slant.

That's what I thought, too - I was touting the obvious superiority of liberal governance with these stats until a strong conservative with libertarian leanings beat me soundly about the head and shoulders with logic, so I looked elsewhere for the answer - and like I said, it applies everywhere in human civilization, and has nothing to do with red-state/blue-state.

Blue States Are Better Places to Raise a Family Than Red States, But There's a

While they don't have children, they're childless. And thus don't have the same demands on time and income, thus skewing statistics.

Re: Blue States Are Better Places to Raise a Family Than Red States, But There's a

Life is, generally speaking, good here-once you escape those that live in the other red and blue states competing for our jobs ;)

Re: Blue States Are Better Places to Raise a Family Than Red States, But There's a

While they don't have children, they're childless. And thus don't have the same demands on time and income, thus skewing statistics.

What you describe is not happening to the extent necessary to result in the examples I gave. You might be able to make that case about Japan, but not here.

Life is, generally speaking, good here-once you escape those that live in the other red and blue states competing for our jobs ;)

Now, now - don't distract from the challenge I presented - why are the statistics as they are? And it's not because of liberal or conservative governance, remember.

And btw - life's good in many places, even in many third-world nations if you ask the people who live there about their personal lives.

Back
Top Bottom