• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Blue Ridge hotel defies Park Service shutdown

j-mac

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
The Pisgah Inn, a private hotel that holds a concession on the Blue Ridge Parkway, has become a national sensation as it defies “intimidation” and a National Park Service order to close its doors.After a tumultuous few days, inn owner Bruce O’Connell told The Washington Times on Friday morning that he had just reopened his doors for customers, despite the park service telling him he had to shut down. He says he’s essentially private property, on a road that’s still open, and uses no government personnel, so he sees no reason to quit operating.
“I’m questioning their authority to shut me,” Mr. O’Connell said.
The National Park Service is involved in several high-profile battles during the shutdown, including having barricaded open-air monuments and memorials in Washington. Veterans busted through barricades at the National World War II Memorial earlier this week, gaining national attention.
But the Park Service closures extend throughout the country, shuttering parks — and many of the private businesses that run concessions in them, such as City Tavern in Philadelphia, and Nauset Knoll Motor Lodge on Cape Cod.
Pisgah Inn, which Mr. O’Connell described as one of the last mom-and-pop places along the Blue Ridge, is just southwest of Asheville, N.C. And while most national parks are closed, the Park Service has deemed the Blue Ridge Parkway a thoroughfare and has left it open.
Mr. O’Connell said since the road is open, and he uses no federal personnel — even his fire and police services would come from town — he isn’t drawing on federal resources and sees no reason he should have to shut down.
Michael Litterst, the Park Service’s chief spokesman, said they have no choice but to shut down concessions.

Read more: Blue Ridge hotel defies Park Service shutdown - Washington Times
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

This is getting disgusting...intimidating private business owners to close because Obama, and Reid throw a temper tantrum? I say we the people start to get pissed off at this tin horn.

This is getting disgusting...intimidating private business owners to close because Obama, and Reid throw a temper tantrum? I say we the people start to get pissed off at this tin horn.
I agree.

These antics by the president show him to be a shameless, vindictive, petty, nasty little man.

And ... :golf ... a lazy incompetent to boot.

I agree.

These antics by the president show him to be a shameless, vindictive, petty, nasty little man.

And ... :golf ... a lazy incompetent to boot.

Oh absolutely, I love how these things reveal who progressive demo's really are. People want the government to sit down, and talk to each other to get to a solution. All this name calling, all of this intentional inflicting of pain on citizens by picking and choosing what they shut down, and now going to private business adjacent to the park, and telling them to close? No, the people won't stand for this type of crap for long.

Oh absolutely, I love how these things reveal who progressive demo's really are. People want the government to sit down, and talk to each other to get to a solution. All this name calling, all of this intentional inflicting of pain on citizens by picking and choosing what they shut down, and now going to private business adjacent to the park, and telling them to close? No, the people won't stand for this type of crap for long.
I dearly hope you're right. I just don't know anymore though... At the same time, I still hold out hope for the soul of this nation, that there indeed are sufficient numbers of honest, reasonable people who "get it."

The same thugs intimidating this business run the NSA/IRS/EPA and now they want total control over your HC

People need to wake up before it's too late

The same thugs intimidating this business run the NSA/IRS/EPA and now they want total control over your HC

People need to wake up before it's too late
That's exactly right - and anyone who believes it's about "caring" for us is a fool - a word I don't use lightly.

... O’Connell runs the business but the government owns the building. He leases it.
http://www.citizen-times.com/articl...Pisgah-Inn-reopens-defies-government-shutdown

the fellow is a fool
he should read his lease agreement
and if there is no provision for such closure (i would bet there is) he could sue for the feds violating the terms of the contract causing him loss of income and profits. he would then be able to make out like a bandit
suspect he is a teabagger, wanting to impose his personal views in the media

I applaud the owners, and the vets that crossed the barriers, and the fishermen I saw yesterday that crossed on 'federal park' land to fish anyway...

I applaud the owners, and the vets that crossed the barriers, and the fishermen I saw yesterday that crossed on 'federal park' land to fish anyway...
:applaud

This is the stuff that gonna start swaying public opinion. How silly it is that it takes more government personnel to "close" these types of places than it does to keep it open.

http://www.citizen-times.com/articl...Pisgah-Inn-reopens-defies-government-shutdown

the fellow is a fool
he should read his lease agreement
and if there is no provision for such closure (i would bet there is) he could sue for the feds violating the terms of the contract causing him loss of income and profits. he would then be able to make out like a bandit
suspect he is a teabagger, wanting to impose his personal views in the media

That's your defense?

Hell, maybe you should advocate for us all staying home because roads are a public good and we're violating the spirit of the shutdown because the government "owns the roads".

That's your defense?

Hell, maybe you should advocate for us all staying home because roads are a public good and we're violating the spirit of the shutdown because the government "owns the roads".

if the property owner tells you to close the property, close the property
then recover what you would have earned thru the courts
winning a contract dispute with the federal government is always an enriching proposition

This is the stuff that gonna start swaying public opinion. How silly it is that it takes more government personnel to "close" these types of places than it does to keep it open.
FWIW - here are some photos showing them doing it. Took 7 personnel, a giant forklift, and a bunch of rented barricades to enclose the open-air monument.

Park Service Workers Erect WWII Barricade | The Weekly Standard

Meanwhile, across the lawn, the WWI memorial remains open - probably because all those vets have since passed.

WWII Memorial Barricade Wired Shut | The Weekly Standard

It's just pure mean-spirited vindictiveness. Nothing more.

if the property owner tells you to close the property, close the property
then recover what you would have earned thru the courts
winning a contract dispute with the federal government is always an enriching proposition

So a landlord could come into a tenant's apartment anytime for any reason. Nice.

So a landlord could come into a tenant's apartment anytime for any reason. Nice.

no. the landlord could tell the tenant to vacate
and the tenant would have to vacate
and then seek compensation via the courts

Actually, no he cannot. It's called breach of contract.

He could take them to court, but there would be extensive punitive penalties because of damages.

It's not in the government's best interest to argue this. Of course, they've never been models of efficiency or sense, nor have people who blindly support it.

Actually, no he cannot. It's called breach of contract.

He could take them to court, but there would be extensive punitive penalties because of damages.

It's not in the government's best interest to argue this. Of course, they've never been models of efficiency or sense, nor have people who blindly support it.

appears you now agree with me
do as the property owner directs
then seek compensation thru the courts

appears you now agree with me
do as the property owner directs
then seek compensation thru the courts

You should have stopped digging your own hole 3 posts ago

Just sayin ... :2wave:

Yes, but that is not what is happening here...If it is true that the government leases the building to the business owner, then I don't think they can tell him to close his business....They may own the building, but he owns the business. Maybe he should tell them to evict, that'll take at least 30 days, and by that time this will be over.

You should have stopped digging your own hole 3 posts ago

Just sayin ... :2wave:

as usual, you have nothing to contribute to the conversation
tired of getting beat up ... finally a good call

I take it you aren't a rental property manager...

Call me crazy, but "not doing something stupid to begin with" seems like a better solution.

but we are talking about the actions of the tenant - NOT the property owner
the government makes a LOT of stupid contracting decisions. this may well be another of them

but the smart contractor will do as was instructed and smile all the way to the bank, depositing the dollars received from a unilateral contract modification issued by the government

which is why i said this fellow is a dolt. probably a teabagger. but then, i repeat myself

as usual, you have nothing to contribute to the conversation
tired of getting beat up ... finally a good call

You're flailing in the wind defending fascism, corruption and thuggery

Shame on you

but we are talking about the actions of the tenant - NOT the property owner
the government makes a LOT of stupid contracting decisions. this may well be another of them

but the smart contractor will do as was instructed and smile all the way to the bank, depositing the dollars received from a unilateral contract modification issued by the government

which is why i said this fellow is a dolt. probably a teabagger. but then, i repeat myself

Another thing the mods need to start doing is putting a stop to the word "Teabagger" being used so frequently on these boards

It's in reference to a disgusting sexual act. Mods, Please address this and make it stop

The longer Obama plays stupid 5th grade games the more people will rally against his and Harry's partial shutdown.

All the GOP has to do is stand firm. The truth is on their side, it's the Dems causing every bit of this.

Back
Top Bottom